ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 low top end speed

Ryan172

ClioSport Club Member
  Iceburg 172 ph2
Hi guys like the title says my Clio has a top end of 120mph can't seem 2 get past that its really starting 2 annoy me as it's not fun watching my m8 vanish in his ctr! I've replaced the timing belt and dephaser, timing spot on, 7secs to 60, good acceleration to 120mph, checked diagnostics came back clear, hits limiter in 4th (120mph) then naff all after that in 5th. So I was wondering if any has/had same problem and could help me out. Like I said it's really frustrating and if I can't sort it it's going only owned it for 4mths lol. Thanks in advance.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
so it pulls as normal in every gear but 5th? doesnt make sence, you running a v6 spoiler? lol should be hitting an indicated 140 without to much hastle or at least my 2 did as standard and i know my mates does

Ryan172

ClioSport Club Member
  Iceburg 172 ph2
Work done myself timing checked twice and spot on. Car is standard apart from janspeed backbox. There was no service history when I bought the car the only thing i am thinking which might not b helping was when I changed the plugs
originally there were 4 different plugs in it and I replaced them with Bosch Super 4's I know they shud b platinum plugs
so might try that.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
possibly could be related to plugs, they wont be helping it but i cant see them causing the problem if its as if your hitting a brick wall, does it pull well 5000-7000rpm in all other gears?

Ryan172

ClioSport Club Member
  Iceburg 172 ph2
Yeah fine feels really strong, just scratching my head now it's really frustrating work colleagues can't suggest things that I havnt checked either:( it's a shame because I have read on here that other ppls cars will do 140 no probz