ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 - Back end Bouncy, handles vry bad

RenaultSport clio 172 mk1
Hi All,

I'm a new member, and am trying to find out whats up with my Clio 172 W-Reg Year 2000. I've had it about 4 months now and its been fine up till now.

Over the last 2 weeks i've noticed the handling go down hill!!! The rear end feels like its floating and bouncing around on the road!

I'm getting knocking noises from the passenger side rear corner when only going at about 15 MPH???

I am thinking that the rear shock(s) could have gone?, ive had at look at the passenger side rear corner and it seems a bit greasey / oily on the shock. Is there any way to test to find out exactly what the problem is?

I've tried pushing down on the rear end but it doesn't move that much, and it doesn;t bouce too much on the spot either?

And if it is the shock, can I change just one, or shall I do it as a pair?

Hope someone can help me, because it feels like like 172 has turned into a boat!!!!!

Thanks

Richard

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
Sounds exactly like the rear shocks gone to me. I had them go on my old 172 and the handling went off very quickly.

On track it was just dangerous and on the road it felt unpredictable when turning in to a corner, even at fairly low speeds.

If there's oil on the shock too then thats a tell tale sign too. Replace them both together as a pair.

R

rich[182]

Sounds exactly like mine over pas few days, back end feels vague and noticeable on long sweeping bends, a few light bangs and groans coming from rear underneath of car too, although its been too wet to for me to have a proper look under the car to see if shocks are leaking but its looking like thats the problem

Thanks for all your fast replies!!

Ok so I am going to change the Rear shocks, are they easy to change myself?

Second question: If I go for uprated shocks, which are the best, (I don't want to spend too much more than standard ones)?

Also can I fit uprated rear shocks and leave the rear springs and leave the front end standard?

Richard

I picked up 2 rear shocks from Renault this morning for £50 each Inc. VAT.

Very very easy to fit, one nut on the top and one bolt on the bottom, I'm NO Car machanic and had them both fitted within 30 mins, and I would say that was slow!

The passenger side one was covered in oil, but the drivers side looked dry, so i'm keeping that one as a spare!!

My 172 is no longer handling like a boat and is back to its former glory!

Thanks very much for your help!

Richard

R

rich[182]

You've had what I think is exactly same probs/symptoms as me. I've forgotten what mine was like at new, have the 2 new rear shocks sorted out ALL your handling probs ?
I'm no mechanic either, how'd you cope with the rear springs when changing, also theres another post recently which mentions what torque to apply to the top and bottom nuts

Would take me about 10mins tops to change a pair of rear dampers. Really simple, if you are in the wilts area i'll do it for you.

R

rich[182]

Appreciate the offer, however I'm in West Yorkshire. Not decided what to do tbh, 4 new OEM shocks + Eibach springs = £335 whereas a Koni Sportline kit with 4 shocks + progressive springs = £350, Although their springs aren't as good as Eibach's they'd be better than having OEM shocks, I dunno.........

In response to rich172, yes replacing the two rear shocks (only the one was gone) has solved all my handling problems, its 100% now!

I didn't see the torque guides! but the bottom bolt was very tight to get off so I just did it up just as tight. As for the top nut in the boot, because of the rubber top to the shock there is only so tight you can do it up anyway.

Just went for a long drive and it feels perfect!

A lot of people have said that you can do it without taking the wheel off, but I found it easier to jack it up with the standard jack, take the wheel off, undo the bottom bolt 18mm, take the rubber cap off inside the boot and undo the top nut 16mm, the shock with drop off.

Then reverse to refit! Easy peasey!

Richard