ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1*2 Tax to hit £455 by 2010

Tax is used as a tool to change behaviour. Without the current CO2-based tax system, we wouldn't have cars like the 123d (204bhp, torque aplenty, 54mpg, 139g CO2).

I can see that there is some element of financial pain involved before you can change your car, but on the whole we choose to use petrol / diesel and we choose our cars.

Whether you buy into global warming or not, *OIL IS RUNNING OUT*. Of course we could elect a government that makes us pay less car tax, but we'd then become more reliant on the black stuff at precisely the time we need to be finding other energy sources.

I think people are intelligent enough to read through Daily Mail headlines and see that there is a lot more to the debate than "rip-off Britain" and "hard-working families pay more tax" etc.

LY 200
I heard about this £1.50 a litre on petrol on the radio this morning but didnt get whether this was an imminent plan!?

Thats the end of 182 or any sort of performance car ownership for me then if thats the case!!!

Also the above says oil is running out so this is why something needs to be done but what about all the other countrys that are charging a pitance for it per litre!? Surely we should be looking for the yanks to drive the fuel price up rather than our relitively small country as they will be taking far more than us??

Last edited:
If they put just 20% of this money back into genuine green initiatives I might be more receptive, but as it is I don't believe any of it has to be ring fenced for public transport, alternative fuels or anything remotely green.

Clio 172 mk2
I don't buy any of this 'carbon footprint' sh*t and am not considering downgrading car because of this.

The reason I'd downgrade is to reduce the tax paid.....why pay more mo ney to drive on roads that are riddled with massive potholes etc?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
This is why i laugh do they honestly think that making us pay more for tax is going to help save the polar bears, my uncle (who happens to be an Inorganic Scientist) Once wrote an article on climate change and how the planet is equipped to cope with one billion people to do whatever they like regarding emissions, but obviously there is six billion and theres nothing we can do to stop the ice caps melting (it makes intresting reading honestly)

America and China make more emissions than every other country combined for the next 25 years yet we seem to be the only mugs in the whole f**king world being taxed to the hilt!

I f**king hate Britain!

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
America and China make more emissions than every other country combined for the next 25 years yet we seem to be the only mugs in the whole f**king world being taxed to the hilt!

I f**king hate Britain!

+1

Have to say that the "big" hike in tax wouldnt put me off driving a big engine or high Polluting car, i enjoy driving to much, would rather stop smoking / drinking to re-coupe some of my money.

A well built VW
DCI FTW £35 a year now which hardly breaks the bank if it goes to £20 even better Second hand prices should start to increase too

And i would love to know how anyone can get over 60mpg from one of these

Averaging around 50-55 with mixture of driving and around 60-65 if im doing a longer 60mph run

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Its a big con tbh.Cars before 2001 were not as efficient as the new ones but yet the new ones will cost you more to tax.

Its a joke really

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
DCI FTW £35 a year now which hardly breaks the bank if it goes to £20 even better Second hand prices should start to increase too

And i would love to know how anyone can get over 60mpg from one of these

Averaging around 50-55 with mixture of driving and around 60-65 if im doing a longer 60mph run

errrr

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
you would think all these super inflated laughable taxes would sort out the state of the roads?

Renaultsport Clio 182 ff
Still too much to pay....maybe time to sell on

I think a 1.6 Focus is going to be more?! Will have to have a look.

All cars are going up, so unless you get an Aygo, not much escaping it.

(Unless you go to Oz or the USA)

yes my mates 54 plate 1.6 focus has gone up!
but not my mums 1.6 1999 model focus, how do you work that out...

Renaultsport Clio 182 ff
Renault Clio 172/182 (01-06)
2.0 16V (182bhp) 3d

Rates effective from 13 March 2008​
Date of Registration6 Months12 MonthsBand4 Nov 2003 – 30 Sep 2005£115.50£210.00F
Rates effective from March 2009​
Date of Registration6 Months12 MonthsBand4 Nov 2003 – 30 Sep 2005£143.00£260.00J
Rates effective from March 2010​
Date of Registration6 Months12 MonthsBand4 Nov 2003 – 30 Sep 2005£148.50£270.00J
:mad:
It's the V6 thats going upto over £400 by 2010 !

Last edited:
  Renaultsport Clio 182 ff
Renaultsport Clio V6 01-05
3.0 24v (255bhp) 3dr

Renault Clio V6 (01-05)
3.0 24V (255bhp) 3d

Rates effective from 13 March 2008

Date of Registration

6 Months
12 Months

Band

1 Jul 2003 – 30 Sep 2005

£115.50
£210.00

F

Rates effective from March 2009

Date of Registration

6 Months
12 Months

Band

1 Jul 2003 – 30 Sep 2005

£242.00
£440.00

M

Rates effective from March 2010

Date of Registration

6 Months
12 Months

Band

1 Jul 2003 – 30 Sep 2005

£250.25
£455.00

M

:mad:

Last edited:
  Mondeo TXS Bardge.
I think a 1.6 Focus is going to be more?! Will have to have a look.

All cars are going up, so unless you get an Aygo, not much escaping it.

(Unless you go to Oz or the USA)

yes my mates 54 plate 1.6 focus has gone up!
but not my mums 1.6 1999 model focus, how do you work that out...

is because the 1999 is out withthe regulations it gets taxed on engine size, the 54 plate gets taxed on emissions. they have readdressed the emission bands to 54 will lie in a higher band
here is a good one a 1.5 derv megane is 120 gkm, or £35 tax.
a 1.5 derv megane with a sunroof is £120 atm going down to £90 in 2010, because the sunroof makes it produse 4gkm more WTF?

even the tax onthe 1.2 is going up its only a £5 but still thats £5 i could have spend on somethign else ( £120 a year ) its went from a band C to a band D

White 197
Yes, but...

Oil is running out whether you buy into the green lobby or not.

No one is doubting that oil is running out.

The problem is that are any of us seeing this extra tax we are paying going into developing alternative fuel technologies. In a word NO. The money is being used to prop up an ailing economy.

1) They have changed the tax bands as already discussed here

2) They have introduced a co2 based purchase tax when buying a new car

3) They are gaining millions in extra tax as a result of ever increasing fuel prices. Darling even wants a further 2p, but hasn't the balls to introduce it yet.

Finally lets not forget they even tax us on car insurance.

ST
lol not a problem for the CS high rollers !!!

A few will buy CAT D ones too ...

Pfft...i take delivery of my artic load of der wunder towels this wkend...use em once then they go in the bin FTW..

You know how we do Treen..