ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clearing up headlights

Renault Clio Mk2
sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, just wondering what's everyone's opinions on cleaning these up? Will I be able to get them back to new looking, or am I better off buying some new ones to replace them? Many thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 75

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
For less than £20 you can get a 3M headlight Retoration Kit. I did mine the other week and came up trumps. Other have had similar results. Could be worth it the try instead of forking out mega bucks for a new set of lights

Renault Clio Mk2
I'll have a Google of that then! You don't happen to have any before and after shots do you? How easy is it to use? Thanks bud!

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I don't have any before and after shots as I had aftermarket lights on before and got some originals to restore. But in my progress thread there are close ups of the lights showing how the look now.
Plenty of videos on YouTube showing how to use it too. But very simple to use. All you need is a drill as everythign is included in the kit. Basically you sand down and then use finer and finer grade paper and then a wet sand then then a final polish. But as said, it is all in the kit.

Renault Clio Mk2
I don't have any before and after shots as I had aftermarket lights on before and got some originals to restore. But in my progress thread there are close ups of the lights showing how the look now.
Plenty of videos on YouTube showing how to use it too. But very simple to use. All you need is a drill as everythign is included in the kit. Basically you sand down and then use finer and finer grade paper and then a wet sand then then a final polish. But as said, it is all in the kit.
Sounds good then! Thanks for that, will defo look into it!:)

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
They can be made to look nearly brand new again, needs a good few hours of work but well worth it.

Clio 182
I used the 3m kit on my Volvo and to be honest wasn't impressed. I got better results with wet and dry with elbow grease (lots of it many times :() on my Clio

However I only really got good satisfying results using a Makita rotary polisher for the final stage. I would not really bother unless I had a polisher next time.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434604628.066783.jpg

Not perfect though up close

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434604656.150026.jpg

You could buy one on eBay and sell again afterwards :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434604590.369737.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434604590.369737.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 30
  Renault Clio Mk2
I used the 3m kit on my Volvo and to be honest wasn't impressed. I got better results with wet and dry with elbow grease (lots of it many times 😧) on my Clio

However I only really got good satisfying results using a Makita rotary polisher for the final stage. I would not really bother unless I had a polisher next time.

View attachment 129766

Not perfect though up close

View attachment 129767

You could buy one on eBay and sell again afterwards :smile:
Thanks for the reply, I did buy the 3m kit in the end, and I've got a before and after thread on here, here's the finished product though!
image.jpg

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Definatly. I did one of mine on the cup the other day, big difference in how the car looks. Its still not a hundred perecent really, need to give it another go. Tbh though if the lights were a bit cheaper id just buy new ones. But then i can be lazy sometimes lol

566B4EA7-FD51-4BCC-A92E-7EBB823C2C99_zpsfzin7wgz.gif

BE75F423-3D82-4AB0-8FE0-DC839BFCBC17_zpsx5m2zbzu.gif

BD6139F9-EDE6-4E1F-A5FB-BABD061D4B85_zps78ezy8sm.gif

Renault Clio Mk2
Definatly. I did one of mine on the cup the other day, big difference in how the car looks. Its still not a hundred perecent really, need to give it another go. Tbh though if the lights were a bit cheaper id just buy new ones. But then i can be lazy sometimes lol

566B4EA7-FD51-4BCC-A92E-7EBB823C2C99_zpsfzin7wgz.gif

BE75F423-3D82-4AB0-8FE0-DC839BFCBC17_zpsx5m2zbzu.gif

BD6139F9-EDE6-4E1F-A5FB-BABD061D4B85_zps78ezy8sm.gif
That looks great!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Yeah, from a few feet away. if you get up close and personal (ocd) you can tell its not right. Will be doing the other tomo so will see how that pans out.

Oh and i borrowed someone i knows different speed polisher thingy. Its still an arse btw :(