ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CLEAR THE SNOW OFF YOUR ROOF/BONNET PLEASE

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
just spent two hours with me and my freinds two landys winching a transport truck up a hill it got stuck on. then some r****d comes belting up the hill witb about a foot of snow on his roof and bonnet.

do people actaully have brain cells nowadays!!!!

ph2 172
Go out half an hour earlier.
Clear snow from drive and car.
Start car to warm it up for the Mrs.
Pop back in and have your compulsory bread and milk. (but not too much. the panic buyers, bless 'em will have cleared the shelves.)
Go out again, re-clear car and off ya go.

Just over 5 minutes to go from 10cm all over to this using the soft side of an ice scraper (wasn't quite that clear, had a quick run around the block to pick somebody up which blew off the odd bits), no excuse imo...

8392389749_8149186ec0_c.jpg

Sportka by Harry_S, on Flickr

Had a good 10" on the car after work yesterday. Proper snow. The kind of stuff you mincy little faggot brits would s**t a brick over. Cleared it all off and raced home through snow drifts and compacted snow with ease.

Losers ;)

In all serialness, Vred Wintrac Extreme. Mental tyres in a European winter. Great steering and braking response. Obviously, with 400lb/ft, traction is still not amazing.

People would do better to worry about tyres, than a bit of snow on their roof. Sadly the average brit cares not a jot about either.

Non Sport Megane
mentioned this to someone at work today, hes alot older than me with 2 kids and his response was, i like leaving it on to see it 'flying off' in the wing mirror! nicelythinking of other road users theyre!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
In all serialness, Vred Wintrac Extreme. Mental tyres in a European winter. Great steering and braking response. Obviously, with 400lb/ft, traction is still not amazing.

People would do better to worry about tyres, than a bit of snow on their roof. Sadly the average brit cares not a jot about either.

I am that Brit/Scot.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Re: Clear the snow off your roof please

Yep, sound advice.

I see people who don't bother clearing anything but the windscreen. Headlights, tail lights and number plates all covered.

I guess they see it as a "laugh" to drive with as much snow on their car as possible!

Makes my piss boil! Just for the sake of a minute or two to get decent visibility in your car - the heater will take care of the rest.

D.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
I remember it being on the theory test when I did my HGV saying it is a offence to have snow on the roof, but how the **** are you supposed to get snow of a roof 16 foot high?

anyway most people in this contry are idiots when it comes to driving in snow, I came out of work today and drove at a steady pace as it was very slippy and parked cars eitherside of the road and some t**t in a old disco thought it was good to be about 10 foot from my bumper, then I had to go out a little later and went down my road and a car came straight over the juction in front of me wheels locked up at about 30mph and mounted the kerb and hit a house WTF goes through these peoples minds.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I remember it being on the theory test when I did my HGV saying it is a offence to have snow on the roof, but how the **** are you supposed to get snow of a roof 16 foot high?

anyway most people in this contry are idiots when it comes to driving in snow, I came out of work today and drove at a steady pace as it was very slippy and parked cars eitherside of the road and some t**t in a old disco thought it was good to be about 10 foot from my bumper, then I had to go out a little later and went down my road and a car came straight over the juction in front of me wheels locked up at about 30mph and mounted the kerb and hit a house WTF goes through these peoples minds.

Put the rollers on the truck wash and drive through it.

Is what we used to do.

RS6 C7

I had a women in one of those Honda CRV 4x4 things earlier, She was coming down a hill about 20mph! It was a single track lane so nowhere to get out of the way, She slams on the brakes (lol) I managed to drive on the verge but she just crashed straight into the bush. Stupid cow.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I tell you what in all the years I've been on car forums this is the first time someone has told me to do something sensible that's never occured to me! Fair play

I clear all the windows but just leave the snow on the roof...
Consider it cleared next time I go out though!

It's only obvious after someone tells you or you see someone have a problem with it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

You will change your mind on the roof thing if you ever break and lose completely the use of the windscreen when a few inch think duvet of snow slides onto it from the roof and covers it completely. When it happened to me there was literally not a square inch of screen that wasn't covered as the whole lot from the roof slid as one down the screen.
I run winter tyres too but given the choice of losing that or losing all visibility I would say the roof thing is a bigger issue.

Fiesta ST-3
you would be amazed at how quickly you can't see when you barke and the entire lot slides forward and covers the screen .

Had a little LOL @ 'barke'

Definitely sound advice though. It's middle-old aged ladies I see driving round with snow on top of their Honda Jazz. Absolute mongs.

182cup & 172 racecar
You will change your mind on the roof thing if you ever break and lose completely the use of the windscreen when a few inch think duvet of snow slides onto it from the roof and covers it completely. When it happened to me there was literally not a square inch of screen that wasn't covered as the whole lot from the roof slid as one down the screen.
I run winter tyres too but given the choice of losing that or losing all visibility I would say the roof thing is a bigger issue.

Munson doesn't brake.

Clio 172
The level of bellendom yesterday I saw was unpresedented, I took a Navara pickup home as the snow was pretty bad in Leicester and worse when I got to Coventry but there were people over taking through snow drifts, a van on the M69 doing near 80 down the 3rd lane that was just snow and then weaving across all three lanes to get infront of the snow plough. Two cars went straight across the roundabout at the bottom of my road due to driving far to fast and being unable to turn or stop. People pulling off in first and just flooring it hence spinning up and ending up going into the kerb. And the obligitory hole in the windscreen and four inches of snow covering you car was seen widly on the way home from work. Ironically I have seen more people crawling along this morning on clear roads than yesterday when everything was covered in snow. 4x4 ftw though.

1.2 16v
Its mental. I made sure I got up 10 mins earlier for work thursday and yesterday to clear every inch of snow off my car. And as soon as I set off, everyone was just getting in and setting off without clearning anything but the windscreen! Bellends.

Disastra Coupe
I HATE it when i see people driving round with snow all over their car. Pure laziness with 95% of the population.

It's only obvious after someone tells you or you see someone have a problem with it.

Yeah - I'm loving all the insults in here from people but honestly 10+ years of driving the snow on the roof of my car has NEVER slipped off, it's fecking frozen onto the Passat. Tried to scrape it off today but I'd have to scrape it off and probably wreck the paint lol

I guess in cheap french cars where all the heat escapes through the roof it's more of an issue than it is in something german and well insulated ;)

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Hmmm i've been driving 10 years, never had this happen, or done anymore than just clean my windows.. :eek: Don't want to scratch my paint off cleaning it off the paint.

I don't disagree, but my point was more that, when using summer tyres on snow, brakes don't work anyway.

Alfa GT Cloverleaf
I have a 25 mile drive to work, so this morning I must of passed hundreds of cars and I saw about 5 that had the snow cleared properly.
It seems like the majority of the UK don't have 2 minutes spare in the morning...
Although it may be an offence to not clear your roof etc, I can't see anyone getting pulled due to the amount of people doing it :/

phase 1 flamer 172
Never clear the snow of my roof, just quickly get up to about 90 mph and it blows of, and at that speed no one behind me to worry about, far too much fuss made about snow driving.

182 ff
cleared the misses car this morning 5 inchs on the roof!! took it for a spin and warmed it up for her, couldnt believe the amount of people who drive with there lights covered in snow too !!! also i think during snow rain & bad conditions it should be mad law you need to drive with lights on !

Evo 5 RS
Saw this so many times this morning. Some stacked high enough to bury a walrus. People are so thick.

Never clear the snow of my roof, just quickly get up to about 90 mph and it blows of, and at that speed no one behind me to worry about, far too much fuss made about snow driving.

Thick.