ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clay Bars are pish!

H22A7 Accord Type R
I will probably get slated for this, but, i finally got a megs clay kit today. So, 8 year old ATR, here we go........ yes, very nice, see all the grime it takes off, but just as i expected, all the grime sticks to the clay bar, and therefore rubs up and down your paint! I noticed that it is good at getting rid of tar spots - but so is AG tar remover........

So, nice wee hairline scratches on my wings and bonnet.......... i whacked some wax on it and called it a day. £23, bargain lol!

At least now i understand when people say 3 stage detail etc........

1 -wash car / dry car
2 - apply Megs clay bar
3 - use Megs scratch X to take off megs clay bar scratches

think i will stick to the auto glym products.............. ;)

In between cars....
your supposed to constantly kneed te clay bar mate so you have clean clay in contact with the paint, did you do that?

106 GTi
This is the downside to clay, it is the only way of removing some bonded crap, the side effect is if you have a well polished car you will notice the marks. I never clay a car unless I know I am polishing it after. Always use shed loads of soap and water as a lube, keep turning the clay to a fresh side after every pass.

If you can see big bits stuck to it pick them out. Always a good idea to split the bar into 3 or 4 so you can keep using clean bits.

Though I am glad the 182 has never needed claying TBH.

H22A7 Accord Type R
i know you have to kneed the clay, but what, every bloody half a second? its w**k ;) thanks Rich, at least someone agree's with me! I actually thought of you just before i started too........ ah well, lesson learnt.......

106 GTi
On a highly polished surface the nature of the stuff means it is nearly impossible to induce some marking when your shearing stuff of the paint.

On some colours you wont see it - silver etc, on dark colours, blacks and soild reds micromarring is an issue.

Mito Sportiva 135
Clay is great stuff...I keep a pot of warm water out when claying and dunk it in there after every panel or so.

Admitedly it does normally leave a few minor marks but I only clay as part of a full detail - they are only very minor though when I clay, some Scratch X or even SRP and they are gone.

I would never bother with the full set though, you can get a clay bar for under £10 and then I use a mixture of shampoo, QDs and water.

H22A7 Accord Type R
i think the car needs a polisher on it anyway, the previous owner used colour wax on it lol, it went from pink to red after my first auto glym. I just done have the time or patience for it anymore, plus no driveway........its a big b*****d and it takes a long time to do.

I am taking it to my bodyshop for 4-wheel alignment setting up, so i will have a word with the bodyshop manager there, as i know he is handy with the polishing kit!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I don't know if others agree, but I try to keep the water & soap mix really quite warm. It makes the clay much more malleable and easier to use, imo.

And R30BC - it really does look awful after claying. That's when the PC comes out!

D.

Mito Sportiva 135
Definitely worth getting a decent polish... I was going to get my car done in a bodyshop but got recommended against it. Would probably be ok if the guys in there know how to use a rotary but they simply don't have the time to spend to get it looking perfect. I would get a proper detailer to polish it, either by PC or rotary.

Mito Sportiva 135
I don't know if others agree, but I try to keep the water & soap mix really quite warm. It makes the clay much more malleable and easier to use, imo.

And R30BC - it really does look awful after claying. That's when the PC comes out!

D.

I keep the clay warm but not so hot is doesn't keep its shape. Like most detailing techniques, a fine art to it!

If a car looks bad after claying it may be it has just removed and products with fillers rather than it has induced the marks itself.

Chocolate Bar™
Definitely worth getting a decent polish... I was going to get my car done in a bodyshop but got recommended against it. Would probably be ok if the guys in there know how to use a rotary but they simply don't have the time to spend to get it looking perfect. I would get a proper detailer to polish it, either by PC or rotary.

ditto that. most of the monkeys ive asked about 'mopping' my car say it takes 1-2hours. and probably involves letting the office junior wack some g3 on a converted angle grinder. yet when me and makavelli did a 'quick' job on my car it took two of us 7 hours. so deffo worth spending the extra

H22A7 Accord Type R
good point Brand86..........

i took my clio to this bodyshop guy after i scuffed my wing. he worked wonders on it........ after i almost died when he took snadpaper to my wing!!!! lol

BLACK 197!!
i did my car with clay bar n not very good at getting rid of tar spots on silver but dark colours it smoothes them out so u tyhink theyve gone but u just cant see them. i used t-cut straight after n there all gone!!and some little scratches.

id say if ur car is bad then the best way is

1 wash then dry
+
2 Clay bar
+
3 T-cut
+
4 Meguiars polish
+
5 Meguiars carnabua wax
= VERY SMOOTH SHINY CAR EVEN ON SILVER CAR

BLACK 197!!
good point Brand86..........

i took my clio to this bodyshop guy after i scuffed my wing. he worked wonders on it........ after i almost died when he took snadpaper to my wing!!!! lol

thats wot bodyshops do they use very fine (1500 or 1800grit) wet n dry paper to rub away the worst of the scratch then use a mop to buff bak to nice shine..

106 GTi
I would add AG Tar Remover before claying better to dissolve the stuff off the best you can rather shear it off.

A4 Avant
My cars silver and I was extremely impressed with the rseults of claying a five year old car. It had been parked under trees and near a factory by previous owners and there was fall out and tree sap all over it that polishing just wouldn't remove. It's now silky smooth with no marks in the paint. There may well be scratches, but being silver I can't see them!

My biggest gripe is that now I know all the crap is off the bodywork, marks that I thought were road dirt and stuff are actually stone chips.:dapprove:

visualize whirled pe
I would add AG Tar Remover before claying better to dissolve the stuff off the best you can rather shear it off.

tried that stuff before didnt think much off it like but the t-cut worked a treat for me like.

T-Cut is a doom word on here but I happen to agree with you that when it's used sparingly and infrequently it's not bad stuff, I usually have a bottle around (which has lasted years).
I use it mainly for getting rid of nasty scratches etc so for a commercial product it aint to bad at removing a build up of crap and when used with other products afterwards; scratch X (defects) > AG SRP (low abrasion polish) > EGP (seal) > P21s (wax) it leaves a fresh finish especially on cars with paintwork which is looking tired.

What you will notice with it though (My cars pearl Black) on dark colours it introduces very fine scratches which on a silver car won't be as noticable, it is possible to go though the clear coat, especially on panel edges you can feel (and hear!) the cutting compound working, it's quite harsh stuff!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Got to be honest, i think clays a bit naff too...If your polishing 99% of defects come off! Well on a well looked after car anyway. If the cars covered then yes.

I'm lazy on the clay, but i think the sonus blue/green is better than megs. And Water and shampoo is better than the lube...

H22A7 Accord Type R
have to agree, the finish is the same as what i would get with a polish on the old clio.........it did work well on the ATR though, with 8 years of pish on her!! but, i dont think she will need clayed for a long time now!!! just alternate with the polish and zymol! :D

Rb 182
I was thinking about buying some clay or getting some one to do my Uno, but unsure if it was the best idea.

The car is an 1986 model and is in very good condition for the year. Its an off-white colour and i cant see many scratches or marks in the paint but was thinking a claying sesh might be an idea to re-fresh the paint work.

Ideas please?

Rb 182
Feel the paintwork, if it feels rough then claying will be worth while.

It pretty smooth at the moment tbh! Previous owner kept it decent.

Just a good wash a detail then. Thanks for the advice

What about Pcing it? Or does the same for the above apply?

106 GTi
Claying cleans of stuck on contamination washing alone wont, basically anything stuck to the paints surface. The Machine polishing will remove any below the surface defects such as scratches and swirl marks.

Even if there are not defects like above the PC will restore gloss to the paintwork better than by hand.

Rb 182
Claying cleans of stuck on contamination washing alone wont, basically anything stuck to the paints surface. The Machine polishing will remove any below the surface defects such as scratches and swirl marks.

Even if there are not defects like above the PC will restore gloss to the paintwork better than by hand.

Thanks for the advice Rich.

Caddy Maxi
my cupra has just benefited from a full detailing (CG citrus wash, megs clay with CG quick detailer, PC'ing, CG easy glaze and CG Pete's 53 wax)
paint did feel a little rough hence it getting clayed as it was the first time i'd detailed the car (had it 3 weeks) silver car though so i wouldnt have noticed the marks that claying apparently gives off so i'd say it benefitted greatly.

got the wheels to take off and clean and seal next!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

Machine polishing will take off contaminations on the paint surface too... Clays a bit of a gimik to be honest. I do it, but in comparsions on panels which haven't been clay'd the difference is unnoticeable...

106 GTi
On really badly contaminated car it is quicker to clay it off than use the machine to to do it. I am not a big fan of claying but it does work - hope my 182 never needs it.

106 GTi
Last ones I had where not that great as the FCS was really dull.

IMG_8209.jpg

Rest here.

Best recentish ones where when I cleaned it up back in March tbh

IMG_5620.jpg

Full Gallery here http://www.richtreen.co.uk/images/concours/

H22A7 Accord Type R
okay, Rich, i have looked at all your pictures and have came to a few assumptions.........

1 - Your car is not your daily driver, 2 - car care is your hobby, 3 - has the car ever seen above 70 (stone chips??) and 4 - that is minter than when it leaves Renault!!

106 GTi
1. Indeed it is not.
2. It is.
3. It has chips :( most have been touched up and polished though.
4. That is the aim!

Renault Clio S
I was driving through some country lanes about three - four weeks ago; came round a corner straight on to a freshly gravelled stretch of road that lasted for about 2 - 3 miles. I was doing about 5mph all the way through it with this stream of traffic slowely building up behind me. No way I was speeding through that lot.