ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clattering noise over bumps

51 Clio Mk3 1.5 DCi
I have had a loud clattering noise coming from the front wheels of my 51 plate Clio dCi every time I go over pot-holes, man holes and even cats eyes. It has been happening ever since I bought the car and it has sailed through 2 MoTs since I got it but it is really loud and to be honest, I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see a wheel fall off so bad is the banging and clattering.

Is anybody else's Clio dCi like this or has anyone got any idea what it could be as its getting quite disturbing?

clio 172 cup
is the noise like a rattle or a bang? if its a bang it could be a track rod end or a ball joint or maybe even a strut. jack the car up and hold the wheel and shake it left to right and look at the track rod end if theres play in it then its that. do the same but up and down and check the ball joint if theres play in it then its that hope this helps mate

51 Clio Mk3 1.5 DCi
Thanks very much, Craiigy. I've got the car up in the air and I can move the wheel a little left to right, which looks like play in the track rod end. It also looks like the anti roll bar is a little loose as I can easily rotate the bolt but don't have the kit to tighten it up myself, unfortunately.Looks like its a garage job. :(

Renault Clio dci 1.5
I don't think it is top mount. Its only when i go over bigish pot holes or over very small bumps. so strange. Everything under the car seems fine.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I have this problem too. It can now only be the top mount as everything else is brand new.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
This is a noise that you can feel in the car. I did a thread on it once ages ago. I've never been in a sport that does it and 2 of our dcis don't do it but mine does. Bloody annoying