ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Claire's new 225

53 Clio's & counting
Well having sold Claire's (Utterly fantastic) Golf Tdi Sport to Mike (Scone), we started the look for a new car for her.

With Claire only covering 6k ish a year (with most being local driving, kids at pre=school etc) we were not getting the best out of a diesel, and we wanted to put some money elseware so we decided to spend a little less.

And yesterday we picked this up:

IMG-20130310-WA0002_zpse542ba71.jpg

IMG-20130310-WA0003_zps1ceef287.jpg

20130311_092727_zps807b7e8c.jpg

20130311_092733_zps66ea8cfd.jpg

I spotted this appear on Autotrader (She had no idea what she wanted so I was looking at everything) and she liked the look of it so I gave the chap a ring - it was'nt at a bad price, so we went to have a look.

The bodywork is in great condition, with no dents or scratches, but the inside needs a little tlc - seat boulster sagging a little, few marks here and there, but the engine and box found brilliant and very quiet.

Plus what a colur in the sunlight! Didn't realise it was such a pearlesant colour (Plus everyone loves a baked bean ;) )

It is standard bar the wind deflectors and the wheels being painted.

The Good and bad bits:

2004 225 Lux
86,000 miles
Full history
Long MOT and tax
Only 2 owners
Body and running gear in VGC

I managed to get the price down further due to the n/s/f tyre having a slow puncture, the n/s window not working and the handbrake lever being intermittant.

So we did the deal and we took it home :)

Claire loves it, and upon a quick strip down of the handbrake I am confident I can fix that, the window I am expecting to be a regulator and the tyre will be fixed through my work.

I won't know the full story until I get it in at work and up on the ramps, but for the price we paid I'm happy

Last edited:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Love it mate. Really. The megs still look great these days. Running costs put me off slightly but they are such a good buy especially the 225s.

I really like these actually and in that colour it looks great! How do they compare to 1*2's standard for standard?

53 Clio's & counting
Love it mate. Really. The megs still look great these days. Running costs put me off slightly but they are such a good buy especially the 225s.

Cheers matey - I still am not 100% sold on the rear end (I like the bumper but the flat rear screen is still growing on me) but the front looks super agressive and still looks fairly fresh even though it's an old car now

taking bets now lads, how long can he resist the urge....

Ha, I'm pretty sure claire will keep me away from modding it, unless I can convince her.....

I really like these actually and in that colour it looks great! How do they compare to 1*2's standard for standard?

TBH the easiest way to explain is it just feels like a bigger Clio - but with a better driving position.

It's been a good year since I have driven a 225 and I forgot how great they drive - so much fun! (Off to look for an R26.R lol)

53 Clio's & counting
For the time being Andy, I have my hands full with sorting my Clio, so she at least has a little while before I want to start playing with it lol

Kyle - yup, it will be coming :)

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Looks very well cared for. I was looking at these recently and seems there is alot of dogs out there!

53 Clio's & counting
Tell her it's coming down to me for a service, we'll get chip to map it while its down here. Just tell her the timing was out ;)

Lol! I'll give it a go, though she blatantly will read this :-/

Looks very well cared for. I was looking at these recently and seems there is alot of dogs out there!

There are mate, unfortunately it seems a lot are abused :(

I'm looking forward to getting all the bits done on it, it will be a cracking car then

Tbh the more I drive it the more I want to get one for myself lol

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
That handbrake could end up being expensive!

I need a big favour too if you fancy taking a picture of the engine bay without the plastic battery cover ;)

53 Clio's & counting
Looks awesome matey!

Cheers me dears, she is happy so that keeps me out the dog house lol x

That handbrake could end up being expensive!

I need a big favour too if you fancy taking a picture of the engine bay without the plastic battery cover ;)

Na, I've had a look at the mech and I can see why the ratchet claw isn't moving back correctly to lock the handbrake, will take me an hour to sort I recon, I've bodged it for now so it works lol.

Yeah no problem mate, I'll grab a few pics for you

TBH the easiest way to explain is it just feels like a bigger Clio - but with a better driving position.

It's been a good year since I have driven a 225 and I forgot how great they drive - so much fun! (Off to look for an R26.R lol)

So I'm guessing, better braking, more grip and better straight line performance? Is it as agile as the Clio? I am tempted by one of these actually I must admit!

Inferno 225 cup
Exactly same spec as my old inferno 225, thought it was tbh.

Cracking buy mate, if you need any info on any problems you might come across drop me a pm il be glad to help.

Scattle

ClioSport Club Member
  Nissan R35 GTR
Lovely car, looks like you picked up a nice one!
I've just got myself a Meg 225 as well, picked it up 3 weeks ago, Inferno orange Phs 1 Cup, so pretty similar to yours.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
So I'm guessing, better braking, more grip and better straight line performance? Is it as agile as the Clio? I am tempted by one of these actually I must admit!

From my experience (currently own a ph1 172 and a ph1 225) I'd put it as

Braking - not as much feel with the 225, probably because the master cylinder is on the passenger side and linked with a rod adding play into the equation. Its also several hundred kilos heavier which obviously dulls responses.

Grip - I guess so, being heavier and with wider tyres but grip isn't one of my priorities, its how it handles overall I prefer. Both of mine are lowered, the 225 is smoother, comfier and whilst it handles fine it is nowhere near as responsive as the Clio. The Clio would show it a clean pair of heels over a couple of corners imo and be more fun whilst doing it.

Straight line - On the way to a RR day where the clio ran 176bhp and the 225 ran 231bhp there was nothing in it at all. The 225 has a huge amount of torque midrange which can make it feel quicker but then it doesnt rev as high as the Clio and obviously with the extra weight the power to weight ratio is very similar.

And no, its not as agile but it is bigger and more civilised. If I had one as my own rather than it being my wives I think I'd end up stripping it and making it a bit more hardcore. Its a hugely competent car but just not as fun as the Clio ime.

From my experience (currently own a ph1 172 and a ph1 225) I'd put it as

Braking - not as much feel with the 225, probably because the master cylinder is on the passenger side and linked with a rod adding play into the equation. Its also several hundred kilos heavier which obviously dulls responses.

Grip - I guess so, being heavier and with wider tyres but grip isn't one of my priorities, its how it handles overall I prefer. Both of mine are lowered, the 225 is smoother, comfier and whilst it handles fine it is nowhere near as responsive as the Clio. The Clio would show it a clean pair of heels over a couple of corners imo and be more fun whilst doing it.

Straight line - On the way to a RR day where the clio ran 176bhp and the 225 ran 231bhp there was nothing in it at all. The 225 has a huge amount of torque midrange which can make it feel quicker but then it doesnt rev as high as the Clio and obviously with the extra weight the power to weight ratio is very similar.

And no, its not as agile but it is bigger and more civilised. If I had one as my own rather than it being my wives I think I'd end up stripping it and making it a bit more hardcore. Its a hugely competent car but just not as fun as the Clio ime.

Thanks for the comparison! So in short the 225 is an upsized Clio as stated by the OP. Are both of your cars standard examples? I take once you modify an area on either car then advantages start to show..

Its interesting to learn that the Megane isn't any faster than the Clio in a straight line given its extra torque. However like you say power to weight ratios are very similar! From what I have read I understand the the R26 Megane moved the game on from the 225 somewhat- how would a 182 compare in the above areas if both were standard?

Lastly how tuneable are the Megane's? What sort of power would an exhaust and remap give?

Thanks and sorry Russ_16v for spamming your thread!

E46 325ci, ZX10r E9f
Window regulator isn't too cheap iirc.

Apart from that, get it mapped then leave it and just maintain it.

Renault will cover 76% of the cost on cars upto 10 years old, meaning it'll cost about £120 each window, just had my 2 done.

Or you can get a different regulator off ebay.