ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

choice of cam profile

big boost cup
im eventually going for aroud 250 300 bhp and just want to know some profiles for cams that have been used the car has got a filter on it and is goin to K TEC for a re map and new exhaust when my cams arrive and depending on the funds gettin the ports matched to so any ideas would be a bonus :approve:

big boost cup
not just from them mods hoping to come into some pennies in a few months so poss turbo set up or something along them lines

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
If you didn't put any of those mods on i bet you'd have £1k towards a turbo,

220 Trophy
If you're thinking of fitting a turbo it's probably best to leave the internals alone until you do as you might need the standard profile or even a different specific one for the turbo conversion. I'd save the money for the time being and put it towards the turbo kit.

Otherwise keep it NA and then have some fun with cams and a proper set up.

Evo
You'll need new cams to work with a turbo anyway if u want that much power. N/A uprated cams wont spool up the turbo quick enough.

ITB'd MK1
You'll need new cams to work with a turbo anyway if u want that much power. N/A uprated cams wont spool up the turbo quick enough.

can if you work the VVT correctly. std cams seem to do alright with a bit of switch point adjusting

Agree with most of those saying if you want a turbo then save what you have now and put it towards that.

Supercharging however works well with NA cams ;)

DMS

A thirsty 172
When my car was turbo'd, David at K-Tec advised me that I'd be better off keeping the standard cams for their Stage 2 setup for various reasons.
I'm not sure whether there is a cam profile available that would allow the car to make more power, but if there is I'd certainly be interested in getting some.

ITB'd MK1
When my car was turbo'd, David at K-Tec advised me that I'd be better off keeping the standard cams for their Stage 2 setup for various reasons.
I'm not sure whether there is a cam profile available that would allow the car to make more power, but if there is I'd certainly be interested in getting some.

There are, but more suited to bigger turbos I think. David's told you the right thing for your setup really

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
http://paultan.org/2006/08/16/how-does-variable-turbine-geometry-work/

You can pick up VNT's for around 1k new, they're used on the new 911 GT3 RS but you won't want something that big.

Variable vanes control where the gases flow making the turbo spool faster like a smaller turbo and then flow like a larger turbo.

I'm getting one for my GTT

99% of VNT turbos available are for diesel applications only. You are right that some are used on the GT2 and 997 TT models (not the RS models as they are NA) and a VNT turbo was also used on the old Peugeot T16.

A VNT diesel turbo used on a petrol engine will not last long as they are designed to operate at a lower heat range than a petrol engine will run at.

David.

99% of VNT turbos available are for diesel applications only. You are right that some are used on the GT2 and 997 TT models (not the RS models as they are NA) and a VNT turbo was also used on the old Peugeot T16.

A VNT diesel turbo used on a petrol engine will not last long as they are designed to operate at a lower heat range than a petrol engine will run at.

David.

Plenty of people running VNT's over on RTOC to no ill effect on the turbo.

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
Plenty of people running VNT's over on RTOC to no ill effect on the turbo.

There were many failures a couple of years ago (not been on that site at all recently) due to diesel spec turbos being used. In fact the guy who started selling them (Mike someone?) got a bit of a bashing on there. He also sent one of his turbos to one of our local turbo companies and they called me as they could not believe this guy was selling diesel turbos for GT Turbos.

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000

You might want to share your advice with Scoff as he's only putting out 551bhp using stock 172 cams.

182 trackday racer
Do it properly or don’t do it at all is my advice! Get rid of all illusions that 250-300hp will come cheap!

Keep stock cams and go with a proper turbo! Agressive N/A cams tend to have more overlap which you dont want at all with F/A.