ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cheap coilovers and tracks = spins!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Lack of talent perhaps?

If the back end if feeling slidey then stiffening the rear will only make it worse!! Try raising the front 10mm and lowering the back a little! What pressures are you running?

172 5HED
Lack of talent perhaps?

If the back end if feeling slidey then stiffening the rear will only make it worse!! Try raising the front 10mm and lowering the back a little! What pressures are you running?

Not really mate! I am not Nigel Mansel but I am not a noob!

We were at 25PSI on some well use R888s

The backs are as low as they will go without taking the adjusters out, could try raising the fronts though!

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
make a HUGE difference mate, but sounds a little like an internal organic component that needs some work in the car...

If your spinning your driving far and beyond your talent level!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Are they not like the cheapest coils you can buy?

Do not want.

172 5HED
make a HUGE difference mate, but sounds a little like an internal organic component that needs some work in the car...

If your spinning your driving far and beyond your talent level!

Not really. I guess I shouldn't have said spin, it was a"moment" I did end up on the grass though.

If you have never had any hiccups on a track day then all credit to you mate, but if you push hard then things will happen sometimes will they not?

Vid here: About 6:20

I take it you have driven Anglesey mate? Car was twitchy on the first lap (second corner) too!

Last edited by a moderator:
  172, Tiguan
Expensive or cheap coilovers, who cares. As if they cause a car to spin! I'll 99.9% guarantee that some other factor caused the car to spin. To high an entry speed, lifting off on turn in, braking as you're turning in, tyre pressures, moisture on the track, tyre temps etc etc. It could be anything. Unless you're half decent a driver I guarantee you you wouldn't even notice the car needed 'better' suspension.

172 5HED
Expensive or cheap coilovers, who cares. As if they cause a car to spin! I'll 99.9% guarantee that some other factor caused the car to spin. To high an entry speed, lifting off on turn in, braking as you're turning in, tyre pressures, moisture on the track, tyre temps etc etc. It could be anything. Unless you're half decent a driver I guarantee you you wouldn't even notice the car needed 'better' suspension.

So you would say the cheap as chips coilies should be ok fro track use? The aim for this car was to be cheap fun but I dont want it to be cheap and s**t!!

Someone else put me onto it being the soft springs, I am not racing driver so I was seeking an informed opinion ;)

fair play for getting out there kev and doing it. s**t happens though with the spin, i replied in your other thread.

Aye, something to do innit mate :D

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
No sound on work pc so cant tell if you lifted, etc, but, if the back end steps out the last thing you want is more hardness at the back end lol.

More hard/rear ARB, etc = more stiff = more rear end twitchy twitchy

172, Tiguan
They obviously won't be as good as the more recognised brands, but my point was are any of us at a level where we'd notice?

I'd see what spring rates are specced on the other brands and try a set of springs close to their rate. It's all about setting the car up so you are happy with it, not what others suggest. Your driving style might not suit somebody else's preference and vice-versa.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
It's all about setting the car up so you are happy with it, not what others suggest. Your driving style might not suit somebody else's preference and vice-versa.

This. x 1 million.

I like a twitchy back end. Oo-er. Others might might not.

Although i think i've found Kev's problem:

kevo66onanotherforum said:
Looks like a fail moment TBH, lifted then as I got back on it went!!

Oopsy ;)

172 5HED
No sound on work pc so cant tell if you lifted, etc, but, if the back end steps out the last thing you want is more hardness at the back end lol.

More hard/rear ARB, etc = more stiff = more rear end twitchy twitchy

Hmm I guess.... I was thinking I needed to shift some weight backwards but there is nothing more I can move!

They obviously won't be as good as the more recognised brands, but my point was are any of us at a level where we'd notice?

I'd see what spring rates are specced on the other brands and try a set of springs close to their rate. It's all about setting the car up so you are happy with it, not what others suggest. Your driving style might not suit somebody else's preference and vice-versa.

Agian, fair point! Guess I'm just looking for an answer to help my ego too :(

2.2 bar shed.
You missed 'dab of oppo'. Looks like you changed gear and the back got light. If you didnt have any other moments then its probably just down to that.

LOL, yeah yeah.. that doesnt help my ego though!!

Get tuition then, I was very on/off and being hot into corners when I started doing trackdays but with a few good bits of tuition and having had Tony Hunter at the last 3 trackdays have helped me no end! I now reckon I could lap quicker in standard car in comparison to what I was before being a novice with a decent setup car.

Makes your ego feel pretty good when your nailing some good lines and being smooth rather than understeering/oversteering struggling to hold the car together!

p.s. The 2 most valuable things i've probably learnt would be 'trailbraking' and 'heel-toeing', makes driving on track far easier!

Last edited:
  172 5HED
Get tuition then, I was very on/off and being hot into corners when I started doing trackdays but with a few good bits of tuition and having had Tony Hunter at the last 3 trackdays have helped me no end! I now reckon I could lap quicker in standard car in comparison to what I was before being a novice with a decent setup car.

Makes your ego feel pretty good when your nailing some good lines and being smooth rather than understeering/oversteering struggling to hold the car together!

Yeah I guess mate. Will see if I cant get to a day with someone who wouldnt mind taking me out and teaching me a few skills!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I'm with Jon on this one. The coils will not be the root cause of the issue.

Can't help on the R888 front. Doubt that'll be far off the mark tho..

Is it later on in the session that the car is going off (Can't watch the video)

172 5HED
I'm with Jon on this one. The coils will not be the root cause of the issue.

Can't help on the R888 front. Doubt that'll be far off the mark tho..

Is it later on in the session that the car is going off (Can't watch the video)

Yeah mate, about 6:20 on the vid. Has a twitch on the first lap though on the big right hander.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Yeah mate, about 6:20 on the vid. Has a twitch on the first lap though on the big right hander.

Not an easy track...btw...So give yourself a bit of credit!

(that said i've not done it since 2003, it's changed since.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Most challanging track in the UK is Cadwell, makes sense...2nd most challenging...Thruxton!!! Only one tough corner on the track, but so hard to find time and set-ups differ month-to-month! Night mare of a track!

172 5HED
Most challanging track in the UK is Cadwell, makes sense...2nd most challenging...Thruxton!!! Only one tough corner on the track, but so hard to find time and set-ups differ month-to-month! Night mare of a track!

Never done Cadwell, its on my list though!