ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing Crank Pulley

SQ5
Need to change my standard crank pulley to a keywayed Megane one. Do I need to lock everything in place?

I would of thought not as the timing part of things isn't moving, just undoing the bot out of the middle of it. Obvious I will have to lock the flywheel or crank so I can torque the crank bolt up but the main thing is do I nee to lock the timing.

Cheers
Danny

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
top end no, bottom end yes... but be bloody carefull.

Are you changing the bottom sprocket also or are you just running the outer solid pulley?

SQ5
Only changing outer pulley as the Crank is already keywayed, so won't this mean that the timing belt will stay in place on the crank?

I'm not going against what saying just trying to get my head round why I'd need to have the timing tools etc...

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
Only changing outer pulley as the Crank is already keywayed, so won't this mean that the timing belt will stay in place on the crank?

I'm not going against what saying just trying to get my head round why I'd need to have the timing tools etc...

What mick says, the sprocket has no key way either, As soon as you remove crank pulley you lose timing, I think...

SQ5
But why? Doesn't the crank have the teeth on that keeps the timing. The Pulley for the aux parts is just bolted on is it not?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

slightly confused by what you're asking now. The sprocket that the cambelt runs on is the part that is keyed on the megane engine, the pulley is not keyed on either the meg or the clio. If you're changing the bottom cambelt sprocket/pulley then you have to lock up the whole lot

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
yes, the bolt clamps the 2 pulleys together and when fully tightened stops them both moving

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
need some details really. Guessing you dont want a full aux kit as you're charging the engine?? what setup are you running at the moment?

SQ5
It won't need full aux kit, just the belt for piece of mind as tensioner will be off virtually straight away and cost of a belt being f**k all it'll be worth it for the month or so before it comes off.

I'm currently running standard setup with AC. Will be supercharging current engine and then the engine I'm building. So ideally want cambelt done on current with keyway pulley which will then be changed later on to the new engine.

Ph1
Is it worth fitting a keywayed Megane pulley on a stock non forced induction engine if say your having a cambelt change for the added peace of mind?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
It won't need full aux kit, just the belt for piece of mind as tensioner will be off virtually straight away and cost of a belt being f**k all it'll be worth it for the month or so before it comes off.

I'm currently running standard setup with AC. Will be supercharging current engine and then the engine I'm building. So ideally want cambelt done on current with keyway pulley which will then be changed later on to the new engine.

Renault parts system is down so can't price the megane pulley up this minute, but I think it's about £35, £350 plus the pulley sounds about right

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Is it worth fitting a keywayed Megane pulley on a stock non forced induction engine if say your having a cambelt change for the added peace of mind?

If the bolt is torqued correctly then it shouldn't ever be an issue, to be honest I've done several that have ended up supercharged and they've not been problematic either. If you read the manual there's a contradiction on tightening procedure, I always use the tighter version

SQ5
My first one was never a problem but it's for piece of mind more than anything as they are known to randomly do it!

Not a bad price then!

SQ5
Is the keyway part not part of the bolt? I have no idea how this works! So anyone that can make an awesome paint drawing would be cool!

Do you do on site cambelts Fred ;)

Ph1
Its basically a cog with a raised lug inside which slots into a groove on the end of the crank. The normal 172 / 182 one just slots on and doesn't have a locating lug

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
nothing special needed, the megane sprocket just has a woodruff key, you're still running everything else clio so no need for anything else to change

a92bae14.gif

c1a9cff5.gif

hope it helps
:approve:

from bombers thread

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...g-Slut-of-a-Ph1/page21&highlight=megane+crank

Ph1
Yeah - ignore the first crank picture tho as most shouldn't have that. Sure that one is a Laguna item ?

Stock 172 / 182 has a groove right to the tip of the crank as per post 32

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Yeah - ignore the first crank picture tho as most shouldn't have that. Sure that one is a Laguna item ?

Stock 172 / 182 has a groove right to the tip of the crank as per post 32

F7R 714 crank. I'm almost positive of it. I compared it when i rebuilt one a few months back

BRT Motorsport

ClioSport Trader
  Clio Rally car
If the bolt is torqued correctly then it shouldn't ever be an issue, to be honest I've done several that have ended up supercharged and they've not been problematic either. If you read the manual there's a contradiction on tightening procedure, I always use the tighter version

anyone tell me where i can get manual for bottom of engine, (block)

172cup turbo & rx8
Its basically a cog with a raised lug inside which slots into a groove on the end of the crank. The normal 172 / 182 one just slots on and doesn't have a locating lug

Sorry to bump an old thread but does anyone know the part number for the megane item with the raised lug??