ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CH!P's 1990 Eunos Roadster

Disastra Coupe
A few folks have told me to put some pics up of the new motor so i thought i'd whack a thread up for it.

Sold the Flamer to a lad on here abooout 3 or 4 week ago now. As soon as he'd took it i went and picked this up.
In a nut shell it's slower, older and the brakes are pants until you get used to them. But it's awesome, genuinely love it. So much more character than the Clio which is the main reason i changed. Every time i got in my Saxo it felt special. The Clio i never got that with, it was a lovely car but i just didn't click with it.

So anyway, the car:

1990 JDM Import Eunos Roadster 1.6

f08f147f.jpg

2f7df532.jpg

Less than an hour into ownership i whacked the new steering wheel on:

f78934a0.jpg

The next day i ordered my coilovers (VMaxx). The day after that i ordered my wheels (15x7 Rota Grid V's in bronze).
Now i know there's a lot of haters for Rota's on here and if that's your opinion then that's fine. But it's my car and i'll go with what i like :)

A few day's later i was tired of the s**t sounding speakers so bought some new one's:

Untitled-6.jpg

And put a sticker on her:

Untitled-4.jpg

I fitted my lazy eye kit at this point but no pictures!

Then i decided to get her on the ramp at my Dad's work to see how solid she isn't:

Untitled-5.jpg

Fortunately she is solid :D Not a spot of rot anywhere! Very happy :)
Also whacked a MPH conversion in but no pics again...

Quick shot of her after a wax:

Untitled-3.jpg

Then the progress this week...
First up, last week the gear knob came off in my hand lol. It looked like someone had the same thing happen to them so they'd bodged it back on. Instead of doing the same again i bought a Tegiwa one, proper Mazda fitment so it screws on rather than some crap grub screw or whatever:

Untitled-11.jpg

Then the last couple of day's me and my Dad have been getting the coilovers on. 22 year old bolts do not like coming undone haha. But they're on with all new bolts in :)

lowered-1.jpg

Untitled-8.jpg

Untitled-9.jpg

^WD40 helped haha

It's not staying at that height. Once the Rota's are here it'll be lower but it will do for now. They are still settling, mind. It's gradually going lower itself :) Still got to wait for the wheels another 2 weeks :(

I've also got lots of other bit's for her but it's general tidying of the car ie. new indicator, new dash pieces etc.

And finally a quick pic of it with my mate's RS as i loved how tiny it looked next to it :rasp:

Untitled-10.jpg

Fiesta ST-3
I don't much like it's current look mate. But I do have confidence as your Clio was gash when you bought it to. Look forward to following your updates :)

Last edited:
  Disastra Coupe
Haha, i know! Need to lose the mirrors, get my wheels, sort a better front plate out etc. But it's a solid shell, which is the most important bit. Got a good base to work from :)

And thanks!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Love Mx-5's !!

Friend had a couple.. One was a bonkers 1.6 Turbo (245hp/940kg/~zero brakes) and the other was this amazing PoS.. 1.8 standard with a zingy exhaust. Sounded great but never actually went anywhere as they are actually properly slow haha :eek:

3539829601_0637b2068c_z.jpg

_MG_2047 by evil_giraffes_rule, on Flickr

Nothing like cruising about looking like an 'alternative' couple in a red noisy drop-top !

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Nice! Plans sound good!

How are you finding the 1.6? Lively? Or are they that slow, lol.

Looking into these in the summer and not sure whether to go for a 1.6 or 1.8, preferably red too!

Disastra Coupe
Thanks for the comments people.

The 1.6 is slow, it's not awful but it definitely isn't quick. It doesn't really bother me though. I ride bikes so all cars feel slow tbh lol.
The mudflaps, i'm not sure yet. They do an awesome job of keeping it clean :rasp: Plus they wouldn't be coming off until i have it resprayed as no doubt they've left marks.

Disastra Coupe
Not too sure what i'm doing with the plate yet. I've just been outside with the tape measure trying to make my mind up... Will have to see!

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Awesome Chip, I'm finding myself wanting one more and more. Only thing putting me off is the fact that it would be a daily. How much did you pick it up for, if you don't mind me asking mate? The prices seem to be all over the place! Pm me if you prefer fella.

Disastra Coupe
PM'd :) The daily bit was worrying me too - but tbf i use it to go to work which is a 5 minute drive and then i go the gym 3 times a week. That's pretty much all my car does apart from the odd car meet/show or whatever. So i bit the bullet. It's had a new roof so it doesn't leak either.

It's definitely not as refined as the Clio but i couldn't care less tbh. We'll see what it's like in the winter but hopefully i'll have a hardtop by then!

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Thanks for the info via PM mate.

Yeah, I literally use it for work (30 odd miles a day) and the gym too, just trying to weight up whether it'll be reliable enough.

Disastra Coupe
Thanks for the info via PM mate.

Yeah, I literally use it for work (30 odd miles a day) and the gym too, just trying to weight up whether it'll be reliable enough.

Reliability wise they seem sound. Reading about on forums, my work mates old one and based on how many my Dad get's in at work (hardly any) they're very reliable things. The main issue with them is just rust/rot lol.

Like i said though, take one a spin and make your mind up :)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
The mudflaps, i'm not sure yet. They do an awesome job of keeping it clean :rasp: Plus they wouldn't be coming off until i have it resprayed as no doubt they've left marks.

The fronts have to come off to get real low. Mine came off on their own curtousy of the M40.

I honestly don't get the appeal with these cars. I was gutted when you sold the 172 Chip. :(

I do, however, look forwards to progress on this and how awesome/mint you make it.

R53 Cooper S
Looks good dude, although i'd lose the gash 'style' bar personally.

I honestly don't get the appeal with these cars. I was gutted when you sold the 172 Chip. :(

A sweet handling, two seater, RWD, ragtop that can be had for beer money and cost's f**k all to run...what's not to like?:S

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Exactly I love mine to bits, I only use my Clio if its raining or long drives now.

And tbf they aren't that slow no sports car mind but enough poke to move it along.

Although I do think about FI but think it might ruin how fun it is without doing silly speeds..

BMW M4; S1000 RR
And tbf they aren't that slow no sports car mind but enough poke to move it along.

Agreed - Mine was barely slower than a 172 in short bursts (was standard engine wise) and whilst I agree they're charming little cars, I would never have another one. They're fun when going sideways or on a B road, but everywhere else they're a chore.

Disastra Coupe
Hmm, i definitely don't consider it a chore lol. But thanks for the feedback people.

And i know you don't approve Paul :rasp: But it's honestly made me a lot happier owning it. The Flamer was a really nice car but i just couldn't click with it.
Took it a spin tonight now it's lowered and it handles really nice imo. Didn't give it a proper boot but it feels really stable etc. The steering is the best part of these cars though imo. Love the way it just darts into a corner :D

It's the quick steering rack, makes a massive difference! I went to a 306 after my MX5 and it felt like you had to put a full turn of lock on to make it change direction in comparison to the 5 where you can literally just flick your wrists. Brilliant drivers cars IMO. And the power thing is b****cks too tbh. Sebs MX5 kept up with my GTI6 up to about 100 jellybeans per hour no problem.

Disastra Coupe
Haha! Like i said, i knew not everyone would approve :) Had a check tonight and the cambelt and water pump have already been done. The belt has the white writing on very clear and looks perfect, water pump is a brand spanker too. So i'll get my money back on the one's i've already bought lol.

Does need the aux belt though. Got the aux belt and PS belt sat next to me though so they will be done soon enough :)

Rb 182
Looking good and plans sounds great.

I am pretty keen on them. Not good when everyother week someone else posts a Mx5 build thread on here.

I like the red reverse light/fog - that's something I'd definitely be doing. Looks very, very clean on the outside! That's the main thing to look out for when buying, as the rest is fairly bullet proof. Very nice. Needs different wheels though for sure!

Nissan 350z

I do, however, look forwards to progress on this and how awesome/mint you make it.

I'll echo everything Harpham has said here. If i was going to do the convertable route id go BMW Z4 / Porsche Boxster but that doesnt mean i cant appreciate what you have done making the car tidy, nice work so far! :)

Disastra Coupe
Cheers both. Problem for me is i have nowhere near enough funds for a z4 or Boxster! Haha. Wish i had that sort of money! Loving it today with the roof down though ;)

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
God that looks tidy, super clean example mate.

Will certainly be keeping my eye on this.

FFS as if people are criticising picking up an MX5 which would be under £2k easily, probablyy nearer £1k, and saying they'd buy a Z4/Boxster instead! Even a Z3 is far more money than a tiday Mk1 mx5, and a decent Boxster is £5k+ minimum, there are some for less but they are dogs.

Back on topic, looks a great base and looking forward to seeing what you do with it. I'd be putting the front plate in the boot with some sticky pads on the back ;)