ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car broken :(

Hi all.
Car has been absolutely fine until earlier this afternoon I started it to move it and it sounded lumpy, didn't think anything of it though.

Now, left my mates house to drive home this evening and it feels like it's running on 3 cylinders. The emission warning light (I believe?) or in handbook known as the 'toxic fume monitering light' came on as I was driving home. At a certain speed It would flash and at others it would be solid. I drove back as easy as possible as it has massively effected the power also.

Any ideas anyone? I'm going to hopefully get it plugged in tomorrow. I really hate faults like this -.-

Thanks in advance for any help

Ollie

Anything specific I should be looking at? I may be able to get it plugged in tonight from a bloke I know who has all the good equipment. I have a spare coil pack if that's worth changing? Also I know the throttle body's and can clogged up but I have cleaned that out not long ago anyway.

Cheers :)

Possibly the Lambda sensor? Looking up one for mine earlier, just a replacement as they get coked up and renewing can have some better running gains. there around 60 quid cheapest if so.

If not, possibly the coil pack, leads (Not sure if these fail as commonly as they do on non-sports), could also be spark plugs.

Might be best to get it plugged into a diagnostics rather than wasting time and money guessing.

Possibly the Lambda sensor? Looking up one for mine earlier, just a replacement as they get coked up and renewing can have some better running gains. there around 60 quid cheapest if so.

If not, possibly the coil pack, leads (Not sure if these fail as commonly as they do on non-sports), could also be spark plugs.

Might be best to get it plugged into a diagnostics rather than wasting time and money guessing.

Well I'm going to swap the coil pack this evening to a spare and see if it fixes it. Spark plugs are relitively new, been in the car maybe 6 months now? Would the lamda sensor failing cause it to run on 3 cylinders? I need to get it plugged in really, hopefully this chap I know can help me later otherwise I don't know anyone :( lol

Is it really running on 3 cylinders or just feels like it?

If it is running on 3, it might be an injector, there's a test you can do, maybe ask the bloke you know to test those if all else fails.

I'd say it is running on just the 3. Well she's getting plugged in this afternoon by a local garage we use for work vans so hopefully they'll come up with the answer. Fingers crossed! I'd love it if it was the coilpack as I have one in the shed!!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
injector test is easy usually, just check for a sooty plug, that's your dodgy pot with injector on the blink

Been plugged in and the results are as follows...

There is a fault with the injector; leads or coilpack (in that order) soooo tonight il take it all apart and see what I can do.
Is there a way of cleaning injectors or anything? Or do I need to get hold of more? He said its injector 4.

Thanks all

330i. E30 Touring.
(;

No point in cleaning, just replace it.

Drop Nick a text, pretty sure he'll have one kicking about mate.

So update.
I changed coilpack over and it still didn't work, so took off inlet manifold and checked the plugs. Interestingly enough (assuming far right is no 4) , it was only hand tight :S must've worked its way loose if I didn't properly tighten after service. The others were all tight. I checked them all and shown my dad and both of us think it's burning correctly. There was no sign of anything odd on any of the plugs. Soooo.. Still injector?
Could it have been as simple as the plug has worked its way loose?
I can get hold of an injector off of Nick this evening and fit tomorrow if need be.

Cheers all

330i. E30 Touring.
Does it run properly now that plug is tight?

Way to test which cylinder it is for sure, take the fuel rail guard off. Start the car. Unplug the injector connector on all of the cylinders one by one.

If it makes the car run worse, it's not that cylinder. If it stays the same, it's that cylinder.

Does it run properly now that plug is tight?

Way to test which cylinder it is for sure, take the fuel rail guard off. Start the car. Unplug the injector connector on all of the cylinders one by one.

If it makes the car run worse, it's not that cylinder. If it stays the same, it's that cylinder.

I didn't get a chance to put it back together unfortunately :( will have to wait until tomorrow now as it's too dark to see what I'm doing! I really hope that's all it was; do you reckon its possible?

If that doesn't fix it I will do the injector test tomorrow, but fingers crossed it's working now!

172 cup turbo
So update.
I changed coilpack over and it still didn't work, so took off inlet manifold and checked the plugs. Interestingly enough (assuming far right is no 4) , it was only hand tight :S must've worked its way loose if I didn't properly tighten after service. The others were all tight. I checked them all and shown my dad and both of us think it's burning correctly. There was no sign of anything odd on any of the plugs. Soooo.. Still injector?
Could it have been as simple as the plug has worked its way loose?
I can get hold of an injector off of Nick this evening and fit tomorrow if need be.

Cheers all
Is far right not cylinder 1????

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
The same problem happened to my 182 a couple of months ago, i checked the plugs, fine, unplugged the injectors one by one and all were ok, swapped ignition leads, still running on 3. It turned out to be a faulty coilpack only a few months, it wasn't a genuine part from Renault but a Eurocarparts jobbie. Assuming the coilpack you changed is a known working item, just thought i'd ask :eek:

Afraid I can't do the RS Tuner read this wkd now bud. Can do it one evening next week, let me know.

Did you unplug the injectors one by one, as Mike said?

That's fine mate no worries :) a week day actually works out better for myself! Il let you know closer the time if that's okay?

I didn't get a chance unfortunately as it gets dark early and I have to work on it on the road :/ as it currently stands, the inlet and airbox and everything attached is off of the car. When I get in this evening I'm going to put it all back together and just see if tightening that plug has worked. If not; il do the test and find the faulty injector (if it is that) and try get that changed.

A lot to do in one evening in the space of about an hour and a half though, especially if I need to get to nicks and back for the injector lol.

Thanks all :)

She's working! Done the injector test and number 4 was not working. Changed it with one nick172cup had (many thanks nick!) and it came back to life :)

The emissions light thing is still on, but il take it for a drive later to see if it goes off. If not; il just get it taken off with a tool somewhen. Chuffed it's working and cost a tenner to fix :)

Thanks all!

Good news. I can wipe the emissions light with the RS Tuner bud :)

Let me know a good evening next week.

Brilliant thanks mate :) I will let you know, I'm thinking Monday will be a good evening for me. Can I possibly get your mobile number? (If that's okay with you) , just easier to contact on than here.

See you then!

Glad it's sorted mate.

Cheers mate, me too. You were right from the start too ;)

Not sure what you'd do without my parts shed Ollie! Lol

Life would certainly be a struggle! Haha. Make sure you keep it topped up ;)