ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Can't get broadband due to previous occupier's broadband

Megane 230 R26
Afternoon all,

Moved into a rented house on Saturday, had already contacted BT to take over the line last week and it became active this morning, as BT promised. The line is "clear" of Broadband as far as BT is concerned.

I've just gone to order Be Broadband, to have their web form tell me I've failed to enter a MAC code...

Please enter a valid MAC Code, which is in accordance with its standards. (for eg. BBIP1234567/DJ12K or FTIP01234567/BD23J or FTIP012345678/BD23J)
At the top of the form it states we will require a MAC key if we have a previous broadband provider, which we personally don't... but they think broadband is on the line, which as I said is "clear" with BT.

We can see that broadband is currently activated on this BT landline number.

You'll need to get a MAC key from your current broadband supplier before we can take your order. If you already have a MAC key, please choose the package you want and click Continue.
To top it off there isn't even a box on the form for a MAC key, however there is a question saying are we migrating from a previous broadband provider which we aren't, so I haven't selected a name. Trying to select a name doesn't load an extra box for said MAC key.

I rang Be, who told me the line is indeed "clear" of broadband, however O2's system (Be are part of O2) thinks there is an active account on the line. They gave me a number for O2, and upon phoning O2 they stated there is nothing at all they can do because there is indeed an active account on the line, and the account isn't mine to close. Apparently the fact it's my line and nobody else has any business having broadband on it is irrelevent!

The man at O2 said he will attempt to contact the account holder to ask him to remove the service from the line, and will call me back. I've also called the letting agent to see if they can contact the previous occupier about it... however I'm understandibly thinking about what to do if they won't play ball - does anyone know if I can force O2 to remove the record that the service is on the line, as it is my line??

I could order Broadband from any other provider, however Be is the fastest service available (up to 24meg LLU in our area) and is the service I want!

If anyone has any tricks up their sleeve in advance or has been in the same situation it'd be good to hear about it...

Cheers :D

Mondeo STTDCI
Cant u just get a new number from BT say you dont want to take over the old line?

DMS

A thirsty 172
Situations like that can be a ball ache.
I'd personally just get a brand new line installed and cancel the existing one. Then get ADSL activated on the new line.
Much less hassle in the long run. It's possible that it could get done quicker too.

Tesla MP3 2021
There is a tags department within BT wholesale that Ofcom made to open to the public but I'm not sure if it is still is.

I will have a look

Tesla MP3 2021
Right as Be is the CP they should have access to a system called Tags resolution via the Openreach Portal in which they can raise a tags case for you in order to get it removed.

Good look with that one ;)...

I recommend going on the Be Forum and putting a post up there and I'm sure it will be resolved in now time.

Last edited:
  Bumder With A Buffer
If you ring BT wholesale that is your best option as that is all Be will do!

The number for BT wholesale is 0800 800 150

Explain you are trying to get Broadband but your line is tagged as your new occupants to a house. Say you want to have the tag removed. The guy should put you on hold run a test on your line and say yep there is il remove it. Should take no more than 30 seconds! The line might still be locked for a few days after but don't worry.

Don't bother ringing Be as all they will do is the same as above but the will have to go through all there processes there end which could/will take up to 2 weeks!

Bumder With A Buffer
Oh and there is a difference between a TAG and broadband actually being on the line. Hence why as far as BT are concerned the line is clear of broadband.

Your line was OLO (Other Licensed Operator) in that it was with BE... now your wanting to go with BT you need to released from the BE and put onto BT.

So even though your Broadband is not there the line is still "locked" or "TAGGED" to BE!! (LOST YET??!!)

Its f**king hard to explain that on here!

Had exactly the same thing when I moved into my house last year and after spending 3 hours or so on the phone trying to get it resolved... someone finally understood what I was going on and put me through to BT wholesale.. within 30 seconds the request to remove was done!

I do work for BT just so you know but can't help speed your process up im afraid!

Tesla MP3 2021
If you ring BT wholesale that is your best option as that is all Be will do!

The number for BT wholesale is 0800 800 150

Explain you are trying to get Broadband but your line is tagged as your new occupants to a house. Say you want to have the tag removed. The guy should put you on hold run a test on your line and say yep there is il remove it. Should take no more than 30 seconds! The line might still be locked for a few days after but don't worry.

Don't bother ringing Be as all they will do is the same as above but the will have to go through all there processes there end which could/will take up to 2 weeks!

Yeah but BT Wholesale wont speak to customers directly anymore hence why that 0800 that was setup as a EU Tags Resoltuions team is no longer in operation. Im pretty confident that they wont speak to a customer so that's whyt the ISP - Be need to ring them.

Tesla MP3 2021
Oh and there is a difference between a TAG and broadband actually being on the line. Hence why as far as BT are concerned the line is clear of broadband.

Your line was OLO (Other Licensed Operator) in that it was with BE... now your wanting to go with BT you need to released from the BE and put onto BT.

So even though your Broadband is not there the line is still "locked" or "TAGGED" to BE!! (LOST YET??!!)

Its f**king hard to explain that on here!

Had exactly the same thing when I moved into my house last year and after spending 3 hours or so on the phone trying to get it resolved... someone finally understood what I was going on and put me through to BT wholesale.. within 30 seconds the request to remove was done!

I do work for BT just so you know but can't help speed your process up im afraid!

No he wants to go to Be not BT ;)...

Bumder With A Buffer
Yeah but BT Wholesale wont speak to customers directly anymore hence why that 0800 that was setup as a EU Tags Resoltuions team is no longer in operation. Im pretty confident that they wont speak to a customer so that's whyt the ISP - Be need to ring them.

They do speak to customers... thats what I did! did it the other day as well! You can ring BT wholesale and speak to them. Gave the number to someone only last week who used it.

You an also ring up any BT number and be asked to be put through to the TAG remove team or something, whether they put you through is another thing thoguh! There's work arounds for it... whether its right who knows but it works.

No he wants to go to Be not BT ;)...

Ahh right! Either way what I said is still correct (OLO and all that shizz)

f**ked up in a way but its mainly down to the old GPO before BT days and BT not wanting to let there Monopoly go!