ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Canon 60D/650D/18-55/55-250/17-85/70-300 users

So which one would you choose and why? Want to upgrade the misses old DSLR and these two are what I am looking at. Probably with either 18-55/55-250 or 17-85/70-300is USM (non L).

Anyone got/used either body and lenses mentioned?

dk

911 GTS Cab
60d isn't the camera the 50d was, they cheapened it, so I'd say the 650d is the better value and has more features I think.

I bought my 50d with the 17-85, and while I don't use that lens my dad does, and I must say, it's a bloody good lens, much better than the 18-55 kit lens.

60D does still seem a bit better built. But tough choice though. 650d has new processor and touch screen etc, but 60D has top screen, bigger grip etc. It's a tough one!!

Cayman S Edition 1
I have the 600D and just upgraded my 18-55 to a Tamron 28-75 and love it.

55-250 is an awesome lens, whatever body you go for.

As for the body itself - I can't comment on the 60/50D, but the 600D is a great camera IMO...

As for the 18-55, I personally, hardly use it. It's either my wide angle or telephoto (55-250)... It's a good lens, but limited at both ends IMO. I guess that makes it good for day to day photography, but it's nothing special.

I bought a 55-250 at the duty free in the airport before setting off travelling a few days ago.
Have barely taken it off the camera since, amazing lens!
The 18-55 gets used sometimes, but the 55-250 is a great piece of kit.
Body wise I have a 550D, but from what I've seen, the 650D is an awesome piece of kit and well worth it.
650D - 18-55 - 55-250 combo for me!

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
I just picked up a 60D kit with the 17-55 F2.8 lens and I'm very very impressed.

Obviously it's more like a 28-80mm lens due to the body, but the clarity is amazing.

This is a shot I took of my 'other' car, it's straight out of the camera, shot manual in JPEG, then resized in PS.

IMG_0071.jpg

Photobucket doesn't seem to have compressed it too much.

Once you go XXD I don't see you ever wanting to go back.

I'd rather shoot my old 40D than a 650D. Forget touch screen, I have that on my GF3, its nice but you can't beat heaving the extra dials and bigger body. I'd be inclined to source a 50D and spend more on glass.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I'd look for a 50 as Pete said. I have a 550 & a 30 and my missus has a 50. The 50 is a much better camera. The XXD feels so much better in the hand too IMO.
I should have opted for a 50 I think but for some reason I thought the video would come in handy. I think I've used that feature once!

dk

911 GTS Cab
They f**ked with the xxD though when they released the 60d without the metal body, 7d is really the properly replacement for the 50d IMO.

I have the 17-55 f2.8 lens and it is very good.

Yeah, sod the 60D. It's not really comparable to the previous x0D incarnations IMO. It appears they've cheapened it slightly to make room for the 7D in their range. Which is a bummer cos the 7D is a bit pricey. I'd get a 7D or if you were on a budget a used 40D. They can be had for about £250 which is an astonishing bargain.

Lunar Mk1 & Flamer
Totally agree with the above comments, 60d felt incredibly cheap to my old 40d! it also has a much slower frame rate.

The 7D is the proper replacement.

40D is a stunning camera! Was a game changer!

Lens wise i have a 17-85IS and i like it alot!

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
I bought a 650D in December. I've tested it for 3 days after puchasing, I was amazed by the quality of the pics (this is my first DSLR). Unfortunately I had no more time to use it before Christmas, but since Xmas I've taken almost 1k shots. Yesterday I found 3 hot pixels on more photos which were taken with long exposure :(. I noticed that these hot pixels are deleted if and only if the noise reduction is 'On', but if NR is set as 'Auto' they can be seen although the camera executes the noise reduction process. The worst that one of the three hot pixels also can be seen on recorded vid :(. I'm very disappointed now. I'm going to take it to the local Canon service on Friday to resolve this problem. I was told that 'software pixel compensation' will be applied on the 650D, but the service guy who told this wasn't very talkative. I'd like to know whether these 3 hot pixels will use the surrounding pixel's info in photo mode only or the visible deffective pixels will be 'deleted' in video mode also?

Renault Clio 172 Cup
I just bought myself a 500D to start in photography, a good buy? I looked at a lot of reviews and they all seemed to say it was a very good place to start in DSLR's

I'm going to the Autosport show on the 13th so that's going to be the big test!!

I know nothing about lenses though, and what is good or not

Can anyone recommend me a lens for taking photos of standstill cars and another of moving cars?

Any help would be majorly appreciated :D

I'm starting out in photography too all be it with a nikonmand immlooking into another lens as I only have an 18-55mm kit lens. As far as I can make out, you don't need one lens for stationery cars and one lens for moving cars. You just need to by the best lens you can afford, I guess a good zoom lens up to 200mm would be a good place to start, I assume you won't be that close to the car if it's moving? Also get the lowest f number you can afford is what I've been told too. Hope this helps.

Jakerz have a look through the stickies..

I bought a 650D in December. I've tested it for 3 days after puchasing, I was amazed by the quality of the pics (this is my first DSLR). Unfortunately I had no more time to use it before Christmas, but since Xmas I've taken almost 1k shots. Yesterday I found 3 hot pixels on more photos which were taken with long exposure :(. I noticed that these hot pixels are deleted if and only if the noise reduction is 'On', but if NR is set as 'Auto' they can be seen although the camera executes the noise reduction process. The worst that one of the three hot pixels also can be seen on recorded vid :(. I'm very disappointed now. I'm going to take it to the local Canon service on Friday to resolve this problem. I was told that 'software pixel compensation' will be applied on the 650D, but the service guy who told this wasn't very talkative. I'd like to know whether these 3 hot pixels will use the surrounding pixel's info in photo mode only or the visible deffective pixels will be 'deleted' in video mode also?

Nothing to panic about, had a hot pixel on all my photos on my 350D many many years ago and Jessops swapped it no problemo.