ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cambelt .. 36k milage

clio sport 182
hello

got a 04 plate 182 and am in 2 minds if 2 get the cambelt etc done as cars only done 36k so hardly been used .. how likely r they 2 go?? does anything happen before they go.. noises .. slight loss of power etc etc?? belt seems okay no marks or anything on it??

what you rekon i should do??

ITB'd MK1
it's a year overdue and will cost you in the region of £2000 if it snaps. Belts are only rubber, which breaks down with time and heat. You'd be silly not to so it

Abarth 500 Esseesse
Got mine done at 5 years old and 36k. Yeah it'll be a few hundred quid but it's obviously small change in comparison to the cost, let alone the utterly dreadful feeling if it went!

Civic Type R
I am in same situation, just Bought a 182 with 36k on, but no belts done yet. Its booked in for Wednesday would be tragic to f**k a 36k engine for the sake Of 3 -4 hundred quid!!

Last edited by a moderator:
  clio sport 182
yeah mate .. but as a 19 year old student its hard lol looked at belts 2day and have no marks or w.e .. dad as a engineer thinks they look pretty new so rather in 2 minds at the moment

dad as a engineer thinks they look pretty new so rather in 2 minds at the moment

I'm an engineer, and I'm telling you now that is a huge mistake to make!

Further to the above it's not just the belts, it's the pulleys & tensioners associated with them.

If it helps you to understand the seriousness of the service, I am in the middle of a cambelt service on a trophy... with 10k on the clock!

Ph1
yeah mate .. but as a 19 year old student its hard lol looked at belts 2day and have no marks or w.e .. dad as a engineer thinks they look pretty new so rather in 2 minds at the moment

Still past the 5 year recommended mate. Better to be safe than sorry.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4

If you can't afford to maintain the car properly you are probably best looking at downgrading.

ITB'd MK1
If you can't afford to maintain the car properly you are probably best looking at downgrading.

agree with this tbh, it's compulsory manitenance, not optional. I've had to repair enough engines over the years that have had belts fail to be able to say it's not worth the grief it will cause you

Its suicide not getting the belts done, belts wont show signs of wear, they may look fine to your rubber expert dad but they could go at anytime

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
1) I really hope he doesn't get it changed.

2) I really hope the tensioner snaps, the belt comes off and it makes a fcuk load of mess.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
I think you know the answer otherwise you wouldn't have started the thread. Get it done, it'd be a shame to ruin a low mileage 182 for sake of few hundred quid.

Civic Type R

Belt will look fine, you probably wont see any cracks until you take it off and turn it inside out.

As said by others its generally the tensioners that fail and not the actual belt. There are many many topics regarding this on here ( inlcuding some where they have failed sub 5 yrs and sub 40k).

Await the '' My camblet has snapped, and my engines fucked'' thread.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
tad f**king harsh!! (Daniel)

Not really.

I hear it all the time from people who have low mileage 10 year old cars and moan that their cambelt has snapped. ''But the cars only done 40,000 miles, its not due until 72k....''

People can't comprehend that their entire engine relies on a rubber band. A rubber band that spins at god knows what RPM, gets red hot and cools down again every single day.

They are tight, and are hoping to get away with not replacing it.

So no not harsh, just realistic.

Disastra Coupe
As said, you wouldn't have made this thread if you didn't think it needed doing. Get it done asap.

And when you do come to your senses and get it done, get the aux belt AND the cambelt kit changed, if your just going to change the rubber belt then you may aswell spend the money down the pub/ go on holiday with it!

And LOL @ rubber expert dad!

5 GTT & Orb'd Trophy
I'm an engineer, and I'm telling you now that is a huge mistake to make!

Further to the above it's not just the belts, it's the pulleys & tensioners associated with them.

If it helps you to understand the seriousness of the service, I am in the middle of a cambelt service on a trophy... with 10k on the clock!

That must be a really nice example ;)

Get it done, it's hurts having to spend that much money on a car with tiny mileage but at least I will have peace of mind for the next 5years/10k :)

Clio 182
there are many of clios out there you could have bought with the belts already done for probably the same price.

theres no point buying a hot hatchback if youre not prepared to pay the running and maintaining costs.

5 GTT & Orb'd Trophy
:cry:

i hope you've been covering her with the heated blanket these last couple of cold nights :)