ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bye Bye Skoda, Hello GT86.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Nice one Jason .. I'd almost say your most sensible purchase to date.... not sure if that's an insult however ha !!

That video above.. I clocked him going into second and then BYE. I was going round there at 70+ in the Clio on road tyres in the wet .. that should have defo been 4th. Whups.

Thought the first car in the video was going bloody well (skipped through looking for action) then realised that wasn't the boosted 86, but some sort of VAG hah.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Nice one Jason .. I'd almost say your most sensible purchase to date.... not sure if that's an insult however ha !!

That video above.. I clocked him going into second and then BYE. I was going round there at 70+ in the Clio on road tyres in the wet .. that should have defo been 4th. Whups.

Thought the first car in the video was going bloody well (skipped through looking for action) then realised that wasn't the boosted 86, but some sort of VAG hah.
Thanks! Yeah, I'd say this is the most sensible I've ever been. I mean, it still has 2 years warranty... thats pretty sensible.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Didn't you repeatedly slag off the 200 after you got your ST?

Pretty sure you said it was an effort to overtake in the 200 because of lack of low end power, is that something not to like?

I compared the two, the Fiesta requires less effort to make progress, the Clio rewards the required effort more and has an infinitely better throttle response. Compared to anything boosted most NA cars require more effort to overtake...that doesn't necessarily make them sh*t.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I've driven one of these and do like it. But I can't help but feel it's too compromised.

Still quite expensive for something that would get left behind by a hot hatch and not exactly economical either. Lovely seats though and I do like the look.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I've driven one of these and do like it. But I can't help but feel it's too compromised.

Still quite expensive for something that would get left behind by a hot hatch and not exactly economical either. Lovely seats though and I do like the look.

It's just as economical as my GTI was, so I'm happy with that. As for the leaving behind thing... I guess I've grown out of all that? The big turbo Hot Hatch still puts a smile on my face, dont get me wrong, but I dont go around trying to prove myself against other cars. As said, this car isn't really about that.

Today I had a situation that cemented the belief this was the right car for me. Damp roundabout on the way back from work, quite wide and clear of traffic. So of course, why wouldn't I hold the tail out? As I straightened it up for the exit (With large smile on my face) I realised I was following one of those Astra VXR Nurburgring things. He obviously saw me come up behind him, decided to drop it a cog, and f**k off. In a cloud of light blue smoke, with the smell of burning oil. It even made that s**t noise VXR's make when you put any sort of exhaust on him. He must have booted it for about 5 seconds before he had to slam the brakes on due to traffic.

If thats what you want from a car, I can understand it. But for me, the Toyota is just right the way it is... for now.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
It's just as economical as my GTI was, so I'm happy with that. As for the leaving behind thing... I guess I've grown out of all that? The big turbo Hot Hatch still puts a smile on my face, dont get me wrong, but I dont go around trying to prove myself against other cars. As said, this car isn't really about that.

Today I had a situation that cemented the belief this was the right car for me. Damp roundabout on the way back from work, quite wide and clear of traffic. So of course, why wouldn't I hold the tail out? As I straightened it up for the exit (With large smile on my face) I realised I was following one of those Astra VXR Nurburgring things. He obviously saw me come up behind him, decided to drop it a cog, and f**k off. In a cloud of light blue smoke, with the smell of burning oil. It even made that s**t noise VXR's make when you put any sort of exhaust on him. He must have booted it for about 5 seconds before he had to slam the brakes on due to traffic.

If thats what you want from a car, I can understand it. But for me, the Toyota is just right the way it is... for now.
I like the way you mention grown up and drifting on roundabouts in the same sentence.

Like I said before- I really like them. I'd probably go as far as to say I'd probably buy one myself if they were a bit cheaper.

That said, I can't work out why no one has built a car yet that's got the FR drivetrain layout, small turbo engine and a decent power to weight ratio. The GT86 is nearly there, it's just not visceral which is where the power comments come from.

PS. Totally not trying to be a dick in your 'I have a new car' thread- the above is my opinion. It's a nice car- enjoy.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I like the way you mention grown up and drifting on roundabouts in the same sentence.

Like I said before- I really like them. I'd probably go as far as to say I'd probably buy one myself if they were a bit cheaper.

That said, I can't work out why no one has built a car yet that's got the FR drivetrain layout, small turbo engine and a decent power to weight ratio. The GT86 is nearly there, it's just not visceral which is where the power comments come from.

PS. Totally not trying to be a dick in your 'I have a new car' thread- the above is my opinion. It's a nice car- enjoy.
It's grown up for my standards! haha

Yeah I understand your point. It is a bit odd to me that they didn't even add a small low pressure turbo to at least give it some more mid range (although apparently a map makes it better).

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Last TD I was at there was a lightly modded 86 there and it looked a hell of a lot of fun. Put some grippier rubber on it and it can carry some very impressive cornering speeds, although obviously you won't have the tail out nearly as much :) Had a chat with the owner and they were absolutely loving it.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Last TD I was at there was a lightly modded 86 there and it looked a hell of a lot of fun. Put some grippier rubber on it and it can carry some very impressive cornering speeds, although obviously you won't have the tail out nearly as much :smile: Had a chat with the owner and they were absolutely loving it.
And here lies my Dilemma! Do I want more grip? Or will that leave me wanting more power? They do look awesome lowered with some chunky rubber!
A lot of people in here really don't "get" this car do they!?
Yeah, its one of those cars though. It will always divide opinion. Maybe in a few years when they start dipping below £5k a few people will convert? Who knows!

Swift Sport
I love them, and if I wasn't so tight-fisted I'd probably have one on my drive too. I don't like the wheels, but wheels can be changed...

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I've always liked them, but was fully ready to be disappointed with it when I took it for a test drive. The reviews are either "Best thing since sliced bread" or "needs more mid range power". Fortunately, I seem to be in the former camp. haha!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Was very underwhelmed by them...not particularly fast with crap tyres put on to make them more "adjustable"

I think both Toyota and Subaru missed a trick by not turbo charging them; then, it would have been a serious toy to have!

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
A BRZ Cosworth ran in the road going class at Harewood Hill on Sunday not massively fast but looked very nice,
They have turini's from the factory and really suited the car
edit, may be ultraleggera's
they also look great on Enkei rpf01's
View attachment 136890
If it had Ultraleggera it would have been the Aero one but doesnt look like it.
I've had my 86 for about 20 months and love it. I have been up Harewood in it and was pretty slow compared to my Clios but its a lot of money to throw off track so could go quicker ( I believe one has done a 70 sec run where I managed a 69.80 in my old Trophy so not that far away on slippery tyres)
Great driving position/looks/rwd fun but a big torque dip low down. As said not massively quick in a staight line but thats not the point.
I am still on the Primacy tyres and may change tyres at some point but dont want to loose the side ways fun to be 2 secs quicker around a track.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
If it had Ultraleggera it would have been the Aero one but doesnt look like it.
I've had my 86 for about 20 months and love it. I have been up Harewood in it and was pretty slow compared to my Clios but its a lot of money to throw off track so could go quicker ( I believe one has done a 70 sec run where I managed a 69.80 in my old Trophy so not that far away on slippery tyres)
Great driving position/looks/rwd fun but a big torque dip low down. As said not massively quick in a staight line but thats not the point.
I am still on the Primacy tyres and may change tyres at some point but dont want to loose the side ways fun to be 2 secs quicker around a track.
Someone in the same boat as me then! I think I'd have to get some wheels the same width and some cheapo tyres to ensure its easier to have on the limit. I'd rather have the car a bit playful on track than out-and-out Grip.

Yeah. Its all about fun, not setting lap records.

I'd much rather have a massive grin than being a sec quicker around a track.

Only thing I don't like with these really is the mpg. Its basically the impreza flat four without a turbo isn't it? So it's never going to be good on fuel!
Just seems a bit backwards in mpg terms compared to similar powered hot hatches. Nonetheless, I'd still choose one of these!

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Yeah. Its all about fun, not setting lap records.

I'd much rather have a massive grin than being a sec quicker around a track.

Only thing I don't like with these really is the mpg. Its basically the impreza flat four without a turbo isn't it? So it's never going to be good on fuel!
Just seems a bit backwards in mpg terms compared to similar powered hot hatches. Nonetheless, I'd still choose one of these!
People keep saying this, and all the reviews said it. But I rarely see it dip below 30. Only if I really REALLY thrash it. My commute this morning was high 30's, so its a little bit better than the Skoda in traffic on Fuel. Not that this car is about MPG, but its pleasantly surprised me!

Cropper

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Sport 200T
Big fan of these! I actually work for Toyota so I see at least 20 everyday in the car park which kind of takes the sting out of it for me seeing them. there's even a fella or time trails his stripped out one! But yeah some nice wheels a bit lower and your onto a winner, been tempted to get one myself!

SQ5
Power to weight its comparable. It's more of a toy than a hot hatch though, I see your point.

It is but it's a pointless comparison as the nature of the car is different, 90% of people on here wouldn't dare tackle a RWD car after a hot hatch and imagine it's the same elsewhere in the world. Two completely different styles/purpose of cars.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
It is but it's a pointless comparison as the nature of the car is different, 90% of people on here wouldn't dare tackle a RWD car after a hot hatch and imagine it's the same elsewhere in the world. Two completely different styles/purpose of cars.
I totally agree. I just think it was in response to people calling it slow mainly. But as said, not really about the 0-60 or 'Ring lap times. More about putting a huge huge smile on my face! (Which it does).

SQ5
I totally agree. I just think it was in response to people calling it slow mainly. But as said, not really about the 0-60 or 'Ring lap times. More about putting a huge huge smile on my face! (Which it does).

Exactly, you'd of thought on here everybody would get that an underpowered car that handles well is a great car...

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Nice purchase Jason, I prefer them in white right enough or solid red.

I didn't like them to start with I must say, they've grown on me a lot and although I've only ever driven one briefly, I ate my words. It felt great, agile and the perfect amount of power for me. Sadly the power thing lent itself to the cost, i'm a realist, I know it was never going to be under 20k but it felt like it should have even with maybe a bit less bling on it, similar idea to the base model they sold in Japan I think.

It was like a very modern, grown up mx5 coupe imo. The interior again could have been better but I can't moan about price and then complain about interiors.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Nice purchase Jason, I prefer them in white right enough or solid red.

I didn't like them to start with I must say, they've grown on me a lot and although I've only ever driven one briefly, I ate my words. It felt great, agile and the perfect amount of power for me. Sadly the power thing lent itself to the cost, i'm a realist, I know it was never going to be under 20k but it felt like it should have even with maybe a bit less bling on it, similar idea to the base model they sold in Japan I think.

It was like a very modern, grown up mx5 coupe imo. The interior again could have been better but I can't moan about price and then complain about interiors.

I think you are right. I took a brand new 15 Plate out, and it felt no difference to this. So in my head I thought "Why get a new one?" In total, this one has done 25,000 miles and is 3 years old. It cost me about £15,000. I always knew, from when they were new, that I would probably wait and see what the used market was like. Glad I did now!

The story of this car is as follows: Guy traded it in, and bought exactly the same car new (same colour, same interior, everything). Anyway, after I bought it into work one of the guys working in stores recognised it. Turns out it was his dad who had traded it in, a retired gent who kept it garaged. So that was quite nice to find out. Weirdly, when he went to pick his new one up it had a dent in it so Toyota had to order him another car. Which meant, the new one (Again, identical to mine just a 15plate), was the one I got to test drive. So really was a solid back-to-back test!

I really like these. Sometimes I think the back end looks a bit too busy but I'd totally own one.
Love how they made the trim around the exhausts unnecessarily large because they just knew it would get modded to holy hell.

Scattle

ClioSport Club Member
  Nissan R35 GTR
Very nice mate, love these cars, the red is really nice.

My Dads friend has just had finished this Friday just gone to his GT86 it's had the Cosworth Supercharger Kit fitted by Abbey Motorsport, now 280hp and 245ft/lb.

aa763e62adce57c2d23d093cd513ddbe.jpg

1ffb76acfba864ad65973dc3cdc7966c.jpg

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Oooft! Like the black too. Cosworth do a good 15bhp N/A package i may consider in the future. As I said, right now its ticking all my boxes. The beauty of this car is its begging to be tinkered with so when I do get bored there's something for me to do!

21656585506_43329a5ef5_c.jpg
My GT86 by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

Put my plate back on it too! (Not Pictured). So really feels like mine now. Still have a big grin on my face driving it.