ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying the right shampoo...?

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Ok, so it's a while since I've been on here, sold my 182 Cup way back in Feb 2010. But I found the knowledge regarding cleaning/detailing products on here was very good, and used the advice much to my delight!:)

So I'm back and asking for a little more. Currently I'm using Duragloss 901 shampoo, I'm very happy with the results and feel is just has that edge over Meguiars Gold Class. Has anything superceeded the Duragloss in recent years? If so what is it and what does it do better?

Many thanks!:)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
901 is a superb shampoo, testement to the fact Dave KG has and still does use it after all these years. Maybe have a look at trying some dod juice born to be mild. Gwash is better.. but it's a smaller bottle. BTBM has won award after award on DW.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
901 is a superb shampoo, testement to the fact Dave KG has and still does use it after all these years. Maybe have a look at trying some dod juice born to be mild. Gwash is better.. but it's a smaller bottle. BTBM has won award after award on DW.

Thanks for the info mate, much appreciated.:)

Not a 320d
BTBM if I were washing a protected finish.

Stick with 901 If you like it. I found it a little strong but it was excellent stuff. I still use Shampoo Plus after almost 6 years because its cheap and dilutes well (Its ideal for bulk maintenance which is what I do), though over the space of a year I tried allsorts. Both Zymol Autowash & Autobathe, Gold Class, 901, Megs NXT, Maxi Suds 2, im sure theres more.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
BTBM = dodo juice born to be mild shampoo. It's OK but I didn't feel it was very slick, maybe due to the hard water area.

My favourite is AutoFinesse Lather, and they're only based near stansted. they do a whole range of products that are very good
http://www.autofinessestore.co.uk/

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Cheers Dave have you used Duragloss 901? Can say how it compares to the two you mentioned?

Thanks for the link mate.:)

Golf GT & A4 Avant
never used 901 so can't really compare. I can let you have some lather to try out and you can see how it compares if you like I have plenty of it.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
never used 901 so can't really compare. I can let you have some lather to try out and you can see how it compares if you like I have plenty of it.

Cheers Dave, that'd be really helpful. I gotta little Duragloss left, you can try if you like.:)

Hyper wash or BTBM. Hyper wash can also be used as a snow foam, APC and wheel cleaner. Good product that dilutes well and is cheapest by far.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
At the moment I'm using auto rite banana gloss, but I'm hoping to try auto finesse lather after all the reviews.

Not a 320d
Basically OP, just about any shampoo you buy will be good so long as its from reputable sources like Clean your car etc.

All depends on your budget. As JD mentioned, Hyperwash is a good bulk with great dilution ratios (800:1 IIRC) so if its economy youre looking for then maybe consider that. BTBM was a shampoo I turned my nose up at for a while, a little expensive and didnt believe the hype. Then I tried it one day. ive not gone back to anything since on my car, mainly because I dont like shampoos that "add" anything like gloss or whatever. I also ifnd BTBM will prolong the life of my wax and maintain the water behaviour better than anything else ive tried.

901 is great though, so stick with what you know if you like.

Its likely Ill be making the switch to BTBM completely soon, as the cars I maintain will be getting protected with C1.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Basically OP, just about any shampoo you buy will be good so long as its from reputable sources like Clean your car etc.

All depends on your budget. As JD mentioned, Hyperwash is a good bulk with great dilution ratios (800:1 IIRC) so if its economy youre looking for then maybe consider that. BTBM was a shampoo I turned my nose up at for a while, a little expensive and didnt believe the hype. Then I tried it one day. ive not gone back to anything since on my car, mainly because I dont like shampoos that "add" anything like gloss or whatever. I also ifnd BTBM will prolong the life of my wax and maintain the water behaviour better than anything else ive tried.

901 is great though, so stick with what you know if you like.

Its likely Ill be making the switch to BTBM completely soon, as the cars I maintain will be getting protected with C1.

Interesting, I've been using 901 for some years now I did find it that bit better than Gold Class from Meguiars.

Generally I'm not using waxes, prefering sealants instead and quick detail spray here and there. is BTBM suitable to be used with sealants also?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah hence the name mild. It's quite a pure shampoo. I do prefer Gwash only because my car wears C1. My BTBM lasted around 18 months!

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
i prefer to use meguires ultimate was, works well as a light snow foam ( in my karcher snow foam lance ) and i like the smell of it :).

but i have use some of my dads BTBM before and it works 10x better than megs ultimate wash does.

suitablity wise i have'nt a clue, i only leave my cars with a finished coat of wax, never a sealant. ( down to personal preference )
but it doesnt seem to effect the durability, well megs ultimate was has a slight difference to BTBM through week in week out washes.

133/225/CLS AMG
Megs Gold Class isn't bad stuff, in fact neither is Autoglym Bodywork Shampoo and you can get both from Halfords easily enough.

I do like Dodo Juice Born to be Mild though, it certainly stands up to all their talk of being super concentrated as it lasts well even in the 250ml bottles.

Chemical Guys Maxi Suds is good as well but like the Gold Class you end up using a fair amount to get the same results you get from the Dodo Juice shampoo.

I've actually been using Bilt Hamber Autowash recently which I ended up with in error but actually really like. Only recommends 5ml per bucket and just works really well. Also inexpensive and I think will last as well as the Born to be Mild.

But you're not a car wax...

Alex_225, AG shampoo is awful stuff. I would ditch it personally and stick with the Gold Class (if you're a Halfords shopper).

Why is the AG so bad? Doesnt clean? Or strips too much product?

Ive been finishing off some as to not waste it. But might pass it on to a friend if its that bad.

Not particularly slick, which is all that matters in a pH neutral shampoo. People worry about how much a shampoo "lathers up". The real test is how it affects the wash implement touching the paint. BTBM, 901 and Hyper wash are all much better.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Just bought myself some BTBM after using supernatural and sour power it will be good to see if there's actually a noticeable difference.

clio sport
I would recommend Chemical guys glossworkz shampoo great stuff its super soaky to lift cr@p off your cars paint

133/225/CLS AMG
Alex_225, AG shampoo is awful stuff. I would ditch it personally and stick with the Gold Class (if you're a Halfords shopper).

It's not the worst product in the world, I picked up a big bottle to see what it's like. Although like you say Gold Class is better. To be honest I'd put AG shampoo in there with Zymol Natural Car wash, it works as a shampoo but you're recommended to use a lot and it just doesn't last, performance is average. I'm only using it until it's used up.

Personally I'm liking the concentrated shampoos, Born to be Mild or Bilt Hamber Autowash are both very good, add a nice slickness to the water and you only need to use minimal amounts. Chemical Guys Maxi Suds foams up nicely but you have to use a lot more than the previous two shampoos I've used.