ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying on the Internet

Just wondering if any of you have bought a new car using an internet broker.

They seem to guarantee that they will find you a UK dealer supplied car with no previous owner and the prices at the moment for a metallic Clio 182 with both cup packs are as low as £11,700 including registration, 1 year road tax and delivery to your door...

Are there any pitfalls to going down this route for a new car ?

As its a UK dealer supplied car they say you get full 3 year dealer warranty, but I read on here that year 2 and 3 of the warranty is provided by the dealer...

Does this mean that I have to take the car to the same dealer that supplied it to get any work done in year 2 and 3 - which could be anywhere ?

The only thing I am not worried about is the actual purchasing process. The deposit will be insured via my credit card - so if it doesnt turn up I am ok. The car can also be rejected when it turns up if its damaged or has an obvious fault.

Has anyone had a good or bad experience using a broker for a car ?

YOU APPLY TO RENO FOR THE 3RD YEAR OF WARRENTY, NO PROBLEM THOUGH...

YOU CAN TAKE YOUR CAR TO ANY DEALER FOR WARRENTY WORK... I GOT MINE FROM MOTOR PROVIDER (INTERNET BROKER) AND GO TO REG VARDYS FOR ANY WORK WHO ARE LOCAL..

HAS NEVER BEEN A PROBLEM WITH THEM THAT I DIDNT GET THE CAR FROM THEM... AT THE END OF THE DAY THEY WANT THEIR SERVICE DEPT BUSY....

Thanks for the feedback admob, nice to hear that there was no hassle from the dealers.

Has anyone else bought a car using an internet broker - there seems to be loads of them advertising in the car mags these days ?

VaVa

I bought my 172 from a broker. Apart from having to wait ages ( and that was Renaults fault) no problems at all. Got a Brand new 172 for 11,999 delivered to my door, taxed, registered and ready to go.

Cheers Lagerlout... which broker did you use and was it a UK car or an import that you bought ?

Also, did you save much over what price a dealer would come down to ?

I bought my now departed 172 from Virgin back in Aug 02. Cost £12k and was an import. Ended up with two years of warranty and delivered to door, taxed for a year also. GOt a service card type arrangement with them was reckoned to be about 15% discount for servicing and repair. No real problems with the car but I had about a month where I had the car insured (to allow them to tax it) before I got the car (money later refunded). Relatively painless from what I remeber but some of the benefits such as 12 months tax and free delivery are now extra. Rated 7/10.

Service card was OK, you can ring up a number and they will sort out booking the car in. Can get a bit frustrating but depends on garages staff as they tried to ring service card operators to get go ahead for non warranty work which they would not have paid for anyway. Got no response so they didnt do the work in the end - shame they could not have phoned me. Last 48000 mile service came to £116. Also their administration of the card wasnt too hot as I have not paid for two services!

Rich

Cheers Rich... I must admit that I had never thought about the possibility of having to insure the car early - I will give them a call to see if that will be the case.

Not sure if that will cause me problems because I will still have my old car until the new one arrives and need to use my no-claims bonus on the clio or else I will get hammered for insurance.

How did you get around the fact that you had two cars to insure for that month ?

The service card sounds great... specially when they never charge you for work done !

[Edited by DieHard on 07 September 2005 at 7:53pm]

Clio 182

what are good web sites to buy new cars from? I see alot of them are still offering 182s for sale.

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by DieHard on 06 September 2005

Cheers Lagerlout... which broker did you use and was it a UK car or an import that you bought ?

Also, did you save much over what price a dealer would come down to ?
I bought mine from newcardiscount.com It was a pre-reg UK dealer supplied car. I got it for £12k. The closest a dealer near me would get was £13.6k, so essentially I saved £1600, or £2600 off list price..