ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying a 172, advice pls

Clio 172 cup
Afternoon all,

I'm seriously considering buying a RS (172 preferably) and was hoping for some pointers from people with a greater knowledge. I've no plans to turn it into a track car or anything, just on the lookout for a fairly standard one so I can dip my toe into the RS pond. I dont mind if it needs work on it at all as that's half the fun of owning it, also I'm fully aware that engine work is fairly painful on these, so will need to be carried out with proper tools etc.
But basically I'm just looking for someone to tell me what to look out for when buying one, any danger points to that would make you steer clear or anything that would drastically lower the price?
Thanks in advance and I hope to be posting on here for many years to come!

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Welcome. Just got one myself 6 weeks ago. Try get one with dephaser and belts done as its costly (£600 ish all round)
Starting seems an issue for some, so hear it running.
Oil leaks (Bit of cardboard under engine) coolant leaks etc etc
Make sure all hinges OK, and paintwork seems to go on them a fair bit. Has on mine, year 2001

Mec 350 slk manual
Welcome. Just got one myself 6 weeks ago. Try get one with dephaser and belts done as its costly (£600 ish all round)
Starting seems an issue for some, so hear it running.
Oil leaks (Bit of cardboard under engine) coolant leaks etc etc
Make sure all hinges OK, and paintwork seems to go on them a fair bit. Has on mine, year 2001
Your be lucky to find a ph 1 that's never had paint correction unless it be stored in a garage all it's life

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Your be lucky to find a ph 1 that's never had paint correction unless it be stored in a garage all it's life
Paint seems quite thin,like its just worn away. Got plans for stickers to cover up worst bits