ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed Version 2: Race Car Build

172 Race Car
Donington Race Report:

A mild panic set in the day before the race. We found a stray golf ball had smashed the nearside rear window whilst it was parked up and under the car cover. Luckily we discovered it early enough to get something sorted and Fred at BTM Performance came to our rescue and arranged a replacement. We didn’t feel that confident coming into the race. Its one of our weaker circuits and one that suits the high power cars well. So a top 6 finish would be a good result we felt.
Scruteneering was fun. A noise regulation meant that no engines could be started before 9am. So everyone had to push their cars to the scruiteneering bays while jumbos from the airport next door took off above us. Crazy rule.

camp-burpspeed.jpg

Quali was quite early in the day and I set off to try to relearn the circuit. I’d only been here once before. 4 laps into my run the safety car came out for a car off at Craner, so I headed for the pits. I’d remembered where the circuit went and done the minimum number of laps so handed over to Tony.

He had a few hairy moments and the car had a fair bit of oversteer but managed to get us 10th on the grid. Once back to the paddock we found that the tyres hadn’t come up to pressure. We put this down to it still being early in the day and quite chilly. We made some slight damper adjustments but nothing major, we were just going to drive it as it was and see how it went.

Race time, we lined up on the left hand side of the grid and had to wait what seemed like an age. The warm up lap was quite slow and I just wanted to get on with it. Lights out and I got a great launch and the car took off. I had so much momentum and the gaps just opened up for me. Before I knew it I was 5th and passed the white Civic for 4th as we went through Hollywood. One of the best starts id ever done. Coming up the hill into Coppice and not under pressure from anyone I saw a red flag. (never did find out the reason) We all returned to the grid and waited. I sat there as the 4th car in the queue but knew this meant a restart, it would be a new grid and id be back to 10th. Gutted.

first-start.jpg

The second start was good but others around me got away a fair bit better this time. I moved right as the gaps opened and there was space up the inside of Marks Civic as we braked for the first corner. I was as far over as I could go but had to take to the grass as the Clio sized gap that was there suddenly disappeared. We touched, only minor but it folded my left hand mirror in so I was carefull through the next few corners in case cars were there. Mark got up the inside at Coppice and Richard in the Focus followed him. Taking a wider exit I had good momentum down the straight alongside him. My thoughts were, I’ll brake when he does. He locked up, I missed my braking point and we both went through the gravel trap. So end of lap 1 in 8th place.

start.jpg

Two of the cars in front had drive through penalties, so we were effectively 6th. I could see the cars behind fighting so didn’t have too much to worry about. The car wasn’t great and quite tail happy. It made it hard to push but did my best to keep a decent gap. 5 laps later there were 2 cars stranded at the chicane and the safety car was deployed. Cars started to pit but we stayed out. Tony, Mike and Nick on the pit wall had read it spot on. Everyone who was pitting was getting stuck at the red light at the end of pit lane. I could see them queueing every time we went by. More and more cars peeled off until it was only Richards Focus in front. We both followed the safety car in for our stops as the track went green. I shouted to Mike to sort the mirror but it was one of our quickest stops ever. A total pitlane time some 7 seconds quicker than anyone else.

lonely.jpg
safety-car.jpg

Tony rejoined in 10th place, 35 seconds off the lead. But the majority of the cars ahead had stayed out during the safety car and still had to pit. We watched the timing screens to see us gradually move up the order as cars came in to pit. Meanwhile out on the track Tony was having an interesting few laps. Trying to lap a Class B Honda he had a big slide into Mcleans and lost ground. He caught him back up again and passed at Redgate. Then all of a sudden the Honda turned into him! It was a hell of a hit. Lucky not to sustain a puncture or spin out.

after-bang.jpg

At the end of the lap, the cars wayward tendency caught Tony out and he had a quick spin at the chicane. Not much time lost though and with all cars now pitted we were in 1st place. We gave him the board to let him know and with a returning thumbs up he settled down to steady laping in pretty clear air. Our lead grew steadily to the cars behind but the quick cars were coming. Mike Jordan in the Integra was taking some 5 seconds per lap out of our lead as he worked his way back up the order.

the-inevitable.jpg

My brain wouldn’t function to work out if he would catch us but we all knew it was possible. Tony was getting a bad vibration from the damaged NSR wheel now and doing all he could to bring the car home with minimum risk. Mike Jordan passed on lap 20 and the worry now was Nigel in the 306. He was several seconds a lap faster also. The clock ticked down and we crossed the finishing line just over a second ahead of Nigel to take 2nd place. A few more laps and even 3rd would have looked in doubt as Richards Focus was also putting in some fast laps. So our fourth 2nd place of the season (one was class 2nd, but 3rd on road) and at a place we never expected it. Even more surprising as we were much slower than we expected to be.

The damage to the side of the car wasnt too bad, the wheel took most of the impact.

damage.jpg

Another great result in an amazing season. One more race to go at Oulton Park.

Sorry for the lack of photos, Dan went AWOL late on Friday night so we had to ask a Sbridgey to do it armed only with a camera phone.

Dan is now back to washing lettuce.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
so in short, the red and yellow integra shouldn't be allowed on track as it's a danger to everyone else

williamsclio.co.uk/forum
jesus what was the Integra was on the brakes early - what was his reason for coming across to impact you???

182cup & 172 racecar
jesus what was the Integra was on the brakes early - what was his reason for coming across to impact you???

I shall find out at Oulton, if he's there. Two can play that game.

I might just show him the picture of the Saxo from last year.

Excellent footage, really enjoyed watching it.

so in short, the red and yellow integra shouldn't be allowed on track as it's a danger to everyone else

My sentiments exactly. I suppose contact like earlier in the vid is understandable, but with the second impact there is a very real chance he could have put you into a slide off into the wall! I would be hoping mad in all honesty!

182cup & 172 racecar
You got yourself a new tow wagon Tony?

Yes sir.

It's Helens new love lounge. No eating. No drinking. No pulling bits of trim off while Tony's looking the other way

Too fkn right.

Excellent footage, really enjoyed watching it.

My sentiments exactly. I suppose contact like earlier in the vid is understandable, but with the second impact there is a very real chance he could have put you into a slide off into the wall! I would be hoping mad in all honesty!

Just have to get on with it.

182cup & 172 racecar
....and be super wary of novice drivers?

Good result though chaps.

Matt, the guy who brake tested me, then hit me for no reason was not a novice, and also finished 18th. They should also be aware of faster cars coming through and not dick about, it's fkn dangerous.

That's why I didn't pass the Rover down the curves.

182cup & 172 racecar
Looks like it's been put through a mangle.

No wonder there was a bit of a vibration from the rear.

Wheel bearing seems alright anyway.

182cup & 172 racecar
Right, we now have a new wheel to replace the paper one, so that's good.

Had car on Aligment system today, good news, nothing bent after the bang, tracking readjusted, so the car is as square as it ever will be.
So bring on next weekend is all I can say.

Quali 9.40

Race 14.25

Oulton Park. Be there or be square. :)