ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed Version 2: Race Car Build

182cup & 172 racecar
Heat shield was used as there was nothing else left lying around tbqh,but all in all turned out ok,super light and easy to bend.
This was tested with the airline and some smoke,but no pics as I forgot,but was quite interesting to see the different air flows at different angles.I know it will be different when the cars moving,but in general it works.
Getting a dab hand at this welding lark,typical now it's all finished.
Pleased with exhaust,Jay did well guessing the angle of the kitten(cat)and getting the pipe stretched and me for just going for it with a grinder and welder on a boring afternoon,thinking what have I done and Jay will kill me if I blow a hole in the cat with the welder.

182cup & 172 racecar
Little update from me seeming Jay is awaiting a little Burp as I type.

Took car to Snetterton on Sat for scrutineering as there was a CSCC meeting going on there.Car passed after alot of poking and prodding,only thing they could pick up on was,oil catch tank was not the required 2ltrs,but this can be sorted before Brands in May.

Asked if they could weigh the car and it turns out to be 878.5 Kgs with my kit bag inc helmet,laptop and 1/4 tank of fuel,so not bad at all.:D

Nissan Skyline
And you didn't invite me to travel all those 8 miles to snett to come and have a look at it? :rasp:

If you're coming back this way drop me a line.

P.S. it's good you're passing the scrutineering, but I always found it very inconsistent, so just because it was fine at one round, doesn't mean it will be OK for all. I'm sure you're aware, but I just wanted to point it out.

Thanks,

John.

182cup & 172 racecar
And you didn't invite me to travel all those 8 miles to snett to come and have a look at it? :rasp:

If you're coming back this way drop me a line.

P.S. it's good you're passing the scrutineering, but I always found it very inconsistent, so just because it was fine at one round, doesn't mean it will be OK for all. I'm sure you're aware, but I just wanted to point it out.

Thanks,

John.
Sorry John,I didn't think.Didn't realise that you were that close.

Scrutieers said that if I was racing that weekend they would let it go,but yes it can be inconsistent as I know from Rallying.

They did say that they were being very fussy and looked at everything,and I mean everything,two of them took 45 mins to check it over,but at the end they did say the car was a credit to us:eek: and wished us all the best for the year:approve:

You can always come to Brands Hatch on May 9th

*Just to add it had the heavy wet wheels on as well.*

Last edited:
  Nissan Skyline
Indeed you should be very proud. What I have seen is great stuff.

Not sure I'll be a Brands, I think I'm on holiday that week. Are you at snett during the year? What is the website for the organising club and I'll check the dates.

Thanks,
John.

172 Race Car
Burpspeed's new driver for the 2028 season?

IMAGE_023.jpg

Tony should be retiring around then so he will be ideal :cool:

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Congratulations Jay, You'll need your self a 5 door track car now ;)

Cars looking really good, nice progress guys, keep it up!

LY R26
omg this could be the ultimate clio ph1!

just spent a hour reading this thread

the detail and work that has been put into the car is amazing, its a honour to you both.

keep up the great work

Darren

172 Race Car
Sunday 18th April 2010 - Renaultsport National Meet, Gaydon

On a sunny Saturday in mid April, Renaultsport UK held a national meet at the Heritage Motor Centre in Gaydon, Warwickshire. The day was attended by over 140 Renaultsport owners and we took the race car along to show it off. It generated lots of interest and questions. It certainly stuck out amongst all the other cars in attendance when parked next to some of the more modern vehicles on display.

Gaydon3.jpg
Gaydon11.jpg

Gaydon13.jpg
Gaydon14.jpg

172 Race Car
Sun 9th May Brands Hatch
Sat 22nd May Anglesey
Sat 12th June Oulton Park
Sun 13th June FCS with Tour-de-Force and RS Tuning on stand.
Wed 4th August Silverstone RS Trackday
Sun 29th August Mallory Park(Bank holiday weekend)
Sat 4th September Silverstone
Sun 17th Oct Snetterton

As above mate

Qashcow
i popped into conversation with Emma the other day if she'd like to go to Spa for a long weekend next summer. you've got a pit girl now too lads

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
Sun 9th May Brands Hatch
Sat 22nd May Anglesey
Sat 12th June Oulton Park
Sun 13th June FCS with Tour-de-Force and RS Tuning on stand.
3rd/4th July Spa?
Sat 24th July Cadwell Park
Sun 29th August Mallory Park(Bank holiday weekend)
Sat 4th September Silverstone
Sun 17th Oct Snetterton

Plus the odd RS track days to attend to,and several track days for testing.Phew.

Just put May 22nd in my diary :) will have to pop round to have a look if thats ok.

Rally Cinquecento
Would be one more there but I have exams on the 24th - 27th, so can't make it I'm afraid. Shame was looking forward to it to coming and see the car.

Have you been to Anglesey before?

172 Race Car
21st April 2010 - Shift Lights

A few more bits and pieces finished off today. We have had a slight change of plan with the dash display. We've removed the digital dash we were using and we have fitted a shift light unit on top of the dash. This can be set up in all sorts of ways to signal gear shift point. We have set the LED's to come on in singles and then flash at the change point. We will see how we get on with the settings on track this weekend but its very simple to change. We thought that the dash display we had fitted was next to useless in its position as you had to look down to see it and its built in shift light.

Another little thing we have added was a mobile PDA/phone holder! No were not going to be making calls but using the built in GPS receiver and some very clever software from RaceChrono to do our lap timing. Tracks can be downloaded from the phone and it will display actual lap time, best lap and calculate the optimal lap time from your best split/sector times. More info can be found at racechrono.com. We will see how it works at Brands on the 9th May.

391.jpg
392.jpg

394.jpg

We needed to get a few stickers made so approached N2Grafix.co.uk (Adey182) for them. Very pleased with the quality and we finally have the correct Burpspeed logo on the car.

383.jpg
384.jpg

388.jpg
389.jpg

Still more jobs to do but nothing that will hold us up.

Off to Castle Combe on Saturday for its first proper track debut

Coupe/Defender V8
Liking the shift light.
The whole car is nothing short of amazing. Especially appreciate the airbox which I've taken upon myself to mimic please forgive me!!!