ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bugger, what is the easiest solution.

I have been busy today fitting my replacement gearbox.

I have made a bick of a c**k up though, when reconnecting the steering column I have got it 180º out of alignment, so that when the wheels are straight the steering wheel is upside down.

The only problem is I have bolted the subframe back up and reconnected all of the suspension. The error was only discovered when I got to this stage, as everything looked correct beforehand...

So what is the easiest way of getting this sorted?

Many Thanks.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I reckon the easiest way is to say you intended for it, go post on a few VAG forums and the like about how you run your steering wheel upside down because different, and then before you know it you'll have created a new scene mod, and then you won't have to change anything because your steering wheel will be the same way up as everyone else's.

I definitely think that's the easiest way.

Or just drive in a circle?

Seriously, I am pretty sure I am going to have to lower the subframe slightly again but I don't want to as it is a PITA.

106 rallye
Leave the suspension connected and just unbolt the subframe and bolt on the column. Lower it down on a jack enough to turn your wheel 180degs and bolt it all back up. I had this 9n the megane estate

106 rallye
If its same ascthe megane it will be fixed inside the car, only way to do it is to loosen the subframe and pinchbolt and lower ot enough to turn the column

FF Clio 182
Undo couple bolts in the column, pull it out sleeve down by the pedals and rotate 180 degress. Or undo pinch bolt and try spinning it

I did have a look at the column but there appeared nothing to unbolt.

In the end I had to drop the subframe back down again, a lack of space and the fact the stub on the rack would only come off of the column with the subframe lowered meant that this was necessary.

Absolute pig of a job. :(

dan's cast offs.
there was no need to drop the subframe down, you can get to the pinch bolt on the column/rack easily enough from under the car even if you are working on the floor.

there was no need to drop the subframe down, you can get to the pinch bolt on the column/rack easily enough from under the car even if you are working on the floor.

I managed to get at the bolt, but there wasn't enough room to get the column and the rack to seperate. I had to lower the rack away from the UJ to get it to come out.

dan's cast offs.
once the bolt is out the universal joint will flip out of the way, from memory with the bolt hole at the bottom running horizontal the uj will flip up.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I've done this before and as above you can just use the UJ to move it out the way and rotate it.