ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BTM's Beast.

lift number 1 @ btm
I've owned this from completely standard, when it was just under three years old in 2006.
I never started a project thread since I knew I'd never keep it up to date, and as it's been going on for the best part of five years, it might have been a slow read...

Anyway, the cars at a point now where it might be of interest to a few of you..

5892148986_c3efb2b9c7_z.jpg

The engine was originally from fmp's time attack car, but I've ditched the original map and had it re-done by Matt at TDF on one of his EC1 ecu's, he's also done the loom. Fred's taken care of the spanner work for the engine swap and a hundred and one other little jobs.
I can't recommend either of them highly enough, but then you all know that already..

Power wise it's at 231bhp and 185ft/lb with a 7.5k rev limit, but it's still climbing hard at that point, once it's got some of Matt's special one piece valves in and the limit raised it ought to make a bit more yet. I've got a nice ph1 head with the larger exhaust ports at TDF at the moment, it'll be having some mild headwork, one piece valves and uprated springs.
The current engine specs are-

Jenvey bodies.
Cat Cams 422's.
Iappel forged high comp pistons.
Forged rods with ARP bolts.
Ported and polished head (badly, but that's changing soon).
Balanced and lightened bottom end.
330cc injectors.
Helix clutch and cover plate.
EC1 ecu and wiring loom.
Mocal 2l catch tank.
Mocal oil coler.
Forge silicone hoses.
Cup aternator setup with aircon removed.
The radiator is something from the VAG group, same as the Burpspeed boys I think.

The gearbox has been stripped and inspected, while it was in bits the internals were sent off and cryo treated too, then it was rebuilt by Avanti Transmissions with a Quaife diff.

5413482053_76bf6db836_z.jpg

5891583447_15cc1fe573_z.jpg

5892151860_01ec4dd345_z.jpg

5891583943_1ac3f069a7_z.jpg

Plenty of lovely Streamline carbon bits.

The plan is for a trackday car rather than a full blown race car, so it's still got things like electric windows and mirrors. The controls have been moved here as there's nowhere to put them on the doorcards.

5892151356_dd8d066781_z.jpg

Brakes wise it's running compbrake four pots with cryo treated rotors. These are completely amazing! Still on the original Hawk pads at the moment, but soon to be replaced with either Performance Friction or Carbotech. The lines are custom made by Merlin Motorsport at Castle Combe from Goodrich hoses.

5891582927_065a80f0c1_z.jpg

For suspension it's on two way adjustable KW competition. I was running these while it was still being used as a daily!
(I'll be cleaning and painting the axle soon enough)

5891581147_479997727d_z.jpg

The cage is an OMP six point with a harness bar added and some extra triangulation. I'm waiting for some padding to arrive in the next couple of days for this too.

5891582471_67cdfac446_z.jpg

Fixed back seats from Magnum Motorsports, four point Schroth asm harnesses and a sabelt wheel pretty much finishes off the interior.

5891586039_20611029b2_z.jpg

5413485523_17f2f8bf05_z.jpg

5892152364_130f0b1d02_z.jpg

There's still a few bits to come yet, I've a set of Schroth tow straps to go on, a proper fuel rail from Matt and sooner or later a new exhaust to lose the magnex monster that's on it at the moment. I've also a rear arb in the garage waiting to be fitted.

Other than that, the plan is to get a few miles on it, get back to Fred for a spanner check, then do a few trackdays this year!

cant believe its done!? I loved driving that in and out of the workshop, dont worry i was careful ;)

amazing work and setup.

172 cup, Impreza P1
You did well to keep that under wraps for so long. Well done on you, the car is truly awesome!

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
saw it last week a freds looks good, do you know what the maximum power record for a N/A f4r is?

182 FF
Fair amount of cash spent in here then! Does look nice remember seeing it when my car had an engine build at btm. If you have now got the phase 1 head im thinking of from fred im glad to see it went to good use :)

lift number 1 @ btm
About time jesus! Hopefully see this out somewhere this year.

I'll be living just outside Skipton, but there's a few of my mates in Manc so I'll be in and out.

cant believe its done!? I loved driving that in and out of the workshop, dont worry i was careful ;)

amazing work and setup.

Ha, even Fred said he'll miss it, I'm not sure next door will miss him reversing in and firing flames at them..
The work's perfect as you'd expect, even the details. The heat shield that Sam made looks like an original part.

saw it last week a freds looks good, do you know what the maximum power record for a N/A f4r is?

I've no idea to be honest, TDF do engines quite a bit more powerful than this but I don't know the numbers. The Yozza cup was up around the 240 mark.
Fred's reckoning this should do 240 once it's got a decent head and proper valves. I'll try to get the graphs up later, but it's accelerating hard into the limiter.

That's a mean project, love it :)

Cheers dude, I'm quite liking it too!

You did well to keep that under wraps for so long. Well done on you, the car is truly awesome!

I've not really kept it quiet deliberately, it's just been done bit by bit over a long time. I'd love to be able to take the credit for it, but all I've done is choose the bits and pay for it.

Fair amount of cash spent in here then! Does look nice remember seeing it when my car had an engine build at btm. If you have now got the phase 1 head im thinking of from fred im glad to see it went to good use :)

Thanks mate, I'm not sure where the head came from originally, there's a load of them against the side wall at the moment.

lift number 1 @ btm
Matt's sorting out a backing plate and a filter, but I'll most likely have to go for a box to not get kicked off tracks I'd say.

See, this is how it should be done. None of this stripping it out then selling it b****cks that occurs on here.

Looks well put together, like everything I've seen Fred do on here.

lift number 1 @ btm
Thanks everyone, it was always going to be balls out really, I've been buying bits as and when I could and then saving them up. I never see the point of doing things quickyl/cheaply, I'd rather save up and do it properly. Freds works been flawless as you'd expect, he's had the car pretty much down to nuts and bolts then built it back again.

Dan I'll definitely be doing some tracks, but probably not before the new heads on. Peace of mind and all that.

Sam was it you I saw yesterday?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
whats the reason for the new loom and ecu (or can i guess ;))

CBR1000RR Fireblade
It's a very nice car mate. I was having a look around it a few weeks back when I was down at freds. You can tell by looking at it how much time and effort has gone into it.

Ha, even Fred said he'll miss it, I'm not sure next door will miss him reversing in and firing flames at them..
The work's perfect as you'd expect, even the details. The heat shield that Sam made looks like an original part.

i had to look at the bay pic then to see if any of my leftover/forgotten bits of the meg had gone in! lol

my heatsheilds still there. have to bob over sometime mate, i'm in manc.

Evo 5 RS
Had a gander over your engine bay the other day. Ace car you've got there

Just goes to show what can be done.. I'll be chuffed if mine looks half as good as that!!

53 Clio's & counting
About bloody time that saw the light of day again ;-)

meh i guess its alright, when you poppjng in to show me?

Lionel Richie
excuse the slam pannel bodging and the wiring bodge on the fan, still needs a few bits doing to finish it

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Love it dude! Epic na machine expect nothing less from the names mentioned!

lift number 1 @ btm
whats the reason for the new loom and ecu (or can i guess ;))

The ecu ought to be fine (I hope so anyway I've sold it to iceman for his 24hr car, but I've told him any problems and I'll sort it out) The reason for going EC1 was to keep the dash working properly, it worked out cheaper than a digi dash. The loom's a different story.. All I'll say is bullet connectors..

It's a very nice car mate. I was having a look around it a few weeks back when I was down at freds. You can tell by looking at it how much time and effort has gone into it.

Thanks mate, I'd have loved to put the time in myself, but I don't have the time or the knowledge unfortunately.

i had to look at the bay pic then to see if any of my leftover/forgotten bits of the meg had gone in! lol

my heatsheilds still there. have to bob over sometime mate, i'm in manc.

I'll be over before too long, I'll give you a shout before I do.

Car looks great.

I wish my Compbrakes looked that good still.

Ha, they're a bit less clean already ;)

Epic car man

Cheers dude.

Had a gander over your engine bay the other day. Ace car you've got there

Just goes to show what can be done.. I'll be chuffed if mine looks half as good as that!!

I'm pretty sure yours will come out being mint too :approve:

About bloody time that saw the light of day again ;-)

meh i guess its alright, when you poppjng in to show me?

I'm still up in the lakes, I'll be your way sooner or later I'll give you a bell in a bit. I need to take it to Colshe too.

excuse the slam pannel bodging and the wiring bodge on the fan, still needs a few bits doing to finish it

I'd actually forgotten that, the brackets will give me something to update at least :D

looks fantastic! i assume this is the beast that will be at CSS? :)

I'm more than happy for fred to take it, just depends on me organising getting it to him really.

Finally - it's nearly here!

Well done for having the patience and commitment there Doug! Those Speedlines, sure do look familiar....... ;)

D.

That's actually the other set :rasp:
I still need to finish off those 888's.. I'll be over your way too sooner or later, I'll bell you before I am.

Love it dude! Epic na machine expect nothing less from the names mentioned!

Thanks gally, I know what you mean, it's worth the traveling to get it all done right!

Love it mate - enjoy!

Thanks a lot, will do.

theres a cockoo in that vid at the end :D.

Ha, it took me a moment to realise what you meant then :)

i remember being up at BTM and hearing this in the flesh! sounds truly stunning!

Cheers mate, although after a couple of hours in it you're wanting ear plugs :clown: