ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Broken Spacer

Arctic 182FF
Took my back wheel off today to find that part of the spacer had come off and was sat inside the centre bore of the wheel. I managed to get it back on with the spacer on too but I'm not sure if it will be safe like this. I imagine this will be putting extra strain on the wheel bolts as it isn't really sitting on the hub anymore. Do I definitely need to remove the spacer immediately or will it be alright like this?

spacer.jpg

Clio 197 Cup
people run non hubcentric spacers but its not something i would recommend so i'd take the spacer off straight away,if the wheel isn't running central you could cause yourself a whole world of issues,i'd also remove the other 3 as well as there's a good chance they could be the same,what make are your spacers?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Its the clamping force of the bolts pulling the wheel into the spacer and spacer into the hub that provides stability, that spigot has little strength at all, so it wont effect safety in that respect, it will just make it harder to correctly locate the wheel when you are bolting it on.

Arctic 182FF
people run non hubcentric spacers but its not something i would recommend so i'd take the spacer off straight away,if the wheel isn't running central you could cause yourself a whole world of issues,i'd also remove the other 3 as well as there's a good chance they could be the same,what make are your spacers?
I only have them on my rear wheels and the other one was fine. I'm unsure of the brand as I got them off another member. Thanks for your advice though.

Its the clamping force of the bolts pulling the wheel into the spacer and spacer into the hub that provides stability, that spigot has little strength at all, so it wont effect safety in that respect, it will just make it harder to correctly locate the wheel when you are bolting it on.
Thanks chip, I'll check it's running straight and leave it on for now until I can afford another set (Christmas)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Are they ally?

Personally despite the slight unsprung weight penalty I do prefer steel if its for a road used car.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
PS I think I have some 15mm steel ones that I am not using at the moment that you can borrow for a while if you like.

Im in weston most sunday nights so could meet you there and save you the drive down to mine.

Lionel Richie
the spigot of the car's hub is slightly too long, needs grinding back before the spacers are fitted otherwise when you tighten the wheel bolts the above happens

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
the spigot of the car's hub is slightly too long, needs grinding back before the spacers are fitted otherwise when you tighten the wheel bolts the above happens

Yeah Ive had to grind them down before as well, sounds a bit of a bodge but its fine.

20mm spacers are normally ok as they have a deep hole in them to accommodate the spigot.

Arctic 182FF
Thanks for all the advice and thanks very much for the offer Chip but I'm up in Wrexham this weekend. I think I'll just get a new set, won't be as expensive as I thought since I wouldn't need bolts because I already have them.

Personally I have no idea why you'd risk driving it like that, just for the sake of it. For the sake of 15 mins I'd take it off until you can replace it with a new one.

Arctic 182FF
Since it's only the same as using non hubcentric spacers, I'd take that over not having a spacer on and having it scrubbing the inner wheel arch. I'll be ordering a new one today, it'll only be on until the new one comes

e92 330i

I had this with my 13mm fk spacers. But my 15mm fk's sit fine so these shouldn't suffer from that.

Arctic 182FF
Someone made me an offer for the broken spacer a while back (god knows why) but deleted all my inbox, are you still around mystery potential buyer?