ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Breaking Rear Dampers on a Ph-1 172

Ph-1 Clio 172
Hi,

Sorry for a bit of a long story, the short version is that my Ph-1 172 keeps breaking rear dampers, including a pair of new KYB (I think the brand is) dampers from Euro Car Parts.

Now the long version. Last year, A front spring broke and it was similar money to lower the car with a set of 20mm Spax lowering springs. As the car wasn't sitting too low, I thought the dampers would cope with it.

I didn't have any problems until December when the nearside rear damper gave in (I presumed it was from age or mileage at over 70k) so both rears were replaced with the KYBs.

About a month ago, the nearside went again, but I presumed it was a faulty one that the wonderful state of the roads at the moment had finished off early. I replaced it temporarily with the good original one.

Yeasterday, I was driving back from Exeter to Bournemouth for a short break from uni work and also to replace the odd original damper with a replacement KYB one that Euro Car Parts kindly exchanged. On the way back, the damper popped and the handling became... interesting :mad:

...And finally to my question, does anyone have any ideas if lowering the car has caused this and if so, what can be done about it. Or have I just got unlucky and got a dodgy pair of dampers from a bad batch or something.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, and sorry for the essay!

Guy

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
KYB? I didn't know you could get any other apart from standard. You sure there not 1.2 dampers?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I could be wrong to! Just when I looked while back was under the impression was a Renault only thing.

Lionel Richie
use renault only! i've never driven an aftermarket rear shock (OE replacement) that has "felt" correct or has lasted

Ph-1 Clio 172
I'm thinking the same at the moment after these experiences lol

The tracking is being checked and corrected tomorrow as there was a bit of uneven wear on the pair of rear tires, I don't know if a slight misalignment could put extra stress on the shocks but as one on each side has gone, it would have to be really messed up on both sides!

Thanks again for the replies, I will update this thread if I find any more causes :)