ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bottom ball joint

Monaco 172 (5/468)
MOT failed on two bottom ball joints, I'm tempted to do this myself as the garage price was 45 quid for either side.

Anyone got a simple guide I can follow !!

Any help appreciated.

John

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Make sure you've got a big fcuking hammer!!

I've got a set to do tomorrow on a 99000 mile Clio that's been stood up for 2 years.

Not looking forward to it!

Sadly, I'm not technically minded enough to do you a guide. But basic tools, axel stands, good jack, some copper slip and a bit of gentle persuasion is all that's needed.

330i. E30 Touring.
Loosen wheel bolts
Jack up.
Stick on axle stands.
Remove wheel
Remove brake caliper - 2x 18mm bolts
Remove brake disc - little torx screws. Might be worth loosening these while you've got the calipers on.
Remove pinch bolt
Use ball joint seperator to split hub and wishbone. If you don't have a seperator, use a breaker bar to put pressure on the wishbone, and use a hammer and chisel to hit the wishbone down.
Undo 2x 18mm nuts underneath ball joint.

Reverse procedure to fit.

CursedTitanium 182FF
Make sure BOTH front wheels are off the ground, & take extreme care when doing the passenger side. It's easy to accidentaly pull the drive shaft out from the gearbox, which will dump all your gear oil over your drive.

itb182, 621bhp scoob
Just done both mine on my 104000 mile 182 and it wasn't too bad....brute force is the key and a couple of prybars and ball joint splitter, oh don't forget wd40 or any kind of penetrating fluid.

Monaco 172 (5/468)
I pretty confident In my ability to complete simple tasks such as changing brake disc / calipers etc. Ball joints are something I've never done, so I just needed something / someone to point me in the right direction.

Thanks guys

does anyone have a copy of haynes manual in pdf format ?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If you can change discs and pads, you will piss the ball joints.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I am a fat fingered ham fisted buffoon and I can do it so you'll be 'reet.

CursedTitanium 182FF
does anyone have a copy of haynes manual in pdf format ?

IMAG0198.gif
IMAG0199.gif

S3, Polo
Loosen wheel bolts
Jack up.
Stick on axle stands.
Remove wheel
Remove brake caliper - 2x 18mm bolts
Remove brake disc - little torx screws. Might be worth loosening these while you've got the calipers on.
Remove pinch bolt
Use ball joint seperator to split hub and wishbone. If you don't have a seperator, use a breaker bar to put pressure on the wishbone, and use a hammer and chisel to hit the wishbone down.
Undo 2x 18mm nuts underneath ball joint.

Reverse procedure to fit.

^ This. But I didn't find the need to remove the disc. Support the caliper on a spare axle stand to take the tension off the hose/ fixing. You may find that the pinch bolt is a tw*t to get out. WD40 & a quick spin with a socket on the bolt end should see you free it, before you molest it with a hammer.

Be careful not to let the passenger side drive shaft fall out of the gearbox, too!

Also, use a fork-type ball-joint splitter. You'll thank us later...

Last edited:
  Inferno 182 & Saxo
wedging the wishbone down too helps, otherwise when the ball joint is removed it can spring back and catch the cv boot damaging it