ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Boost !

DMS

A thirsty 172
Right... it's update time, since I've now got some more pictures.

p1020057c.jpg

p1020058y.jpg

p1020059j.jpg

p1020060p.jpg

p1020061mb.jpg

p1020062.jpg

p1020063.jpg

p1020064x.jpg

p1020065w.jpg

p1020066c.jpg

p1020068o.jpg

p1020069u.jpg

p1020070.jpg

p1020071.jpg

p1020072x.jpg

p1020073w.jpg

p1020074.jpg

p1020078.jpg

p1020079.jpg

p1020080.jpg

p1020081z.jpg

p1020085.jpg

p1020084s.jpg

p1020083q.jpg

First of all, I know the car is filthy and needs a clean.
Next on the agenda is fitting the replacement battery terminal that I haven't got round to doing yet and get some new number plates made up and fitted. I also need to do something about uprating the brakes and need to get my alloys refurbed.

Thanks to John (John182rs) for taking the photos.

Ferrari F430 Spider, 182
Car looks great. Would like to see what it's like power wise as quite fancy doing the same to my mine

DMS

A thirsty 172
We'll get some videos up when it's done.
Why turbo your Clio if you own a Ferrari? Surely the excitement at driving something fast will have worn a bit thin on you by now?
Although... K-Tec's website suggests that it'll be running 300bhp and bring the 0-60 time down to under 5 seconds, so you could still have some fun in it if that turns out to be true.

DMS

A thirsty 172
The 172 is such a sleeper.
Love the way the car is untouched externally, like it should be :)

Yep. Apart from the oily effect front indicator bulbs and the exhaust recessed into the bumper it's completely boggo.
Even though it's standard looking I still want it to look mint though. I've got a few paint chips to get sorted and some new number plates. I also need all my alloys refurbing due to me being crap at navigating KFC's drive thru when I first got it, and the previous owner having scuffed a couple of them.
Other plans are silvervision rear indicator bulbs, new number plate light possibly with an LED bulb, subtle front splitter in matt black or CF and re-coat the side bullets.

EDIT: Also need a replacement N/S fog lamp - I've cracked a lens on some roadkill / shrapnel.

White Evo V
First thing I would do is sort that induction feed out! Gotta be losing power through that surely! :S

Looks like a nice job though matey! I challenge you to a dual! :D

DMS

A thirsty 172
Yeah. When I move the battery into the back I'm going to sit it lower down and possibly (depending on where it can fit) run a CAF to it.
I don't think it'll make a huge difference though. The intercooler is pretty large and the inlet temps were only 26 degrees when Andy mapped it the other week.
I can literally rag it about all afternoon, come back home and rest my hands onto the inlets without burning myself.

DMS

A thirsty 172
Right before anyone says anything I know this is the cack handed way of going about this, but since my scanner's broke I've had to take a picture of my RR printout with my iPhone instead.

Oh, and I mentioned in another thread / post that it's making 217bhp. It's not, it's making 215.7 so I've obviously remembered the wrong figure having only looked at it once before.

imagekc.jpg

That should be just about readable...?

EDIT: This is ATF, not ATW.

DMS

A thirsty 172
Didn't you say it was 300bhp?

No. Never.
K-Tec website says it can make around 300bhp, though whether it does or not remains to be seen, since other forum members with the kit fitted are getting about 280ish.
At the moment it needs a better actuator to run more boost. I'll post a new RR graph when it's been fitted.

Either way. T'is still quick.

Earpl

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
now that..... is fuckin cool...... but sorry i think the quality of ktecs work is shocking...... i bet it cost an arm and a leg too......

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
I take it this is not the 'complete turbo conversion' judging by the position of the open cone filter and if only making 215 (I know it still bedding in) as it looks more like their low pressure turbo http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=2822&pic=2

rather than their complete turbo conversion http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=2088&pic=2

Not knocking just wanting to know which kit it is as I'll have a few questions to ask before I decide on ITB's or turbo (no super charger I like my air con and climate control)

DMS

A thirsty 172
Steve,

Yes it is the Stage 2 setup.
The reason it looks the same is because the high boost kit is more or less the same but with forged internals and various other bits and pieces to help make more power. The older turbo conversions used quite a few different components to this IIRC.
The idea of the LPT kit is that it can be upgraded to the HPT kit at a later date if wanted. Having the 2 kits use as many of the same components as possible helps keep costs down.

Here's the rough spec:

GT28R (I think) turbo with different compressor housing
Turbo manifold
Turbo downpipe
Intercooler
Turbo oil feed
Uprated injectors
NGK spark plugs
Omex 600 ECU (piggybacking off the standard ECU)
Cable throttle body conversion
Uprated MAP sensor
Various intercooler pipes
Re-ground and polished crank assembly
Forged con rods
Forged low comp pistons (9136DA)
Helix paddle clutch
Uprated fuel pressure regulator
PTFE gaskets
Matched inlets
New o2 sensor
Braided fuel hoses and fuel return hose
182 manifold to cat fitting kit
Powerflow cone filter

It's currently limited to 0.5 bar via the actuator that's fitted to the turbo, which doesn't have enough thread on it to make any more boost. It's making 215.7bhp on a low comp engine, which is more than the LPT conversions seem to be making on standard internals (higher comp) so not bad IMO.
Upping it to 1 bar boost should give about an extra 60bhp according to Andy (quoted as a result of previous experience with turbo'd F4R's), and there's no reason why it can't run 1.2 or 1.3 bar safely. The idea of a boost controller is to crank the boost right up when I want power and turn it down when I want economy or the weather is a bit iffy. This is a more ideal solution than simply having a bigger actuator and having silly amounts of power all the time - it'll help keep the car civilised as a daily driver.

Last edited:

Earpl

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
dont know much about other boot controllers, but i had a greddy PRofec e-01 on my yaris turbo, that had an SD slot on it so i could insert new maps to use with different boot settings, you could also fiddle wit the map "on the go" to clean out any flat spots etc.

2016 Audi RS3
I take it this is not the 'complete turbo conversion' judging by the position of the open cone filter and if only making 215 (I know it still bedding in) as it looks more like their low pressure turbo http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=2822&pic=2

rather than their complete turbo conversion http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=2088&pic=2

Not knocking just wanting to know which kit it is as I'll have a few questions to ask before I decide on ITB's or turbo (no super charger I like my air con and climate control)

Complete kit looks good, but the 'tested for 300 miles' wording worries me a little bit. Doesn't seem a lot in the scheme of things, particularly if you are parting with £6k for the conversion.

DMS

A thirsty 172
I've done nearly 4,000 hard miles on it so far and not a single fault. Car feels quicker every time I drive it and the clutch has bedded in nicely.
I think K-Tec's website needs updating TBH.

id go for blitz spec r boost controller what we always used at work as there so simple to use even ur gran could be in control of it :p there have 4 boost setting with the normal bppst controller setting

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Now then Darren, are we setting the omex to control the boost or are you looking at a seperate unit the same as me?

Mines a gizzmo ms ibc and its sh!t hot

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
Steve,

Yes it is the Stage 2 setup.
The reason it looks the same is because the high boost kit is more or less the same but with forged internals and various other bits and pieces to help make more power. The older turbo conversions used quite a few different components to this IIRC.
The idea of the LPT kit is that it can be upgraded to the HPT kit at a later date if wanted. Having the 2 kits use as many of the same components as possible helps keep costs down.

Here's the rough spec:

GT28R (I think) turbo with different compressor housing
Turbo manifold
Turbo downpipe
Intercooler
Turbo oil feed
Uprated injectors
NGK spark plugs
Omex 600 ECU (piggybacking off the standard ECU)
Cable throttle body conversion
Uprated MAP sensor
Various intercooler pipes
Re-ground and polished crank assembly
Forged con rods
Forged low comp pistons (9136DA)
Helix paddle clutch
Uprated fuel pressure regulator
PTFE gaskets
Matched inlets
New o2 sensor
Braided fuel hoses and fuel return hose
182 manifold to cat fitting kit
Powerflow cone filter

It's currently limited to 0.5 bar via the actuator that's fitted to the turbo, which doesn't have enough thread on it to make any more boost. It's making 215.7bhp on a low comp engine, which is more than the LPT conversions seem to be making on standard internals (higher comp) so not bad IMO.
Upping it to 1 bar boost should give about an extra 60bhp according to Andy (quoted as a result of previous experience with turbo'd F4R's), and there's no reason why it can't run 1.2 or 1.3 bar safely. The idea of a boost controller is to crank the boost right up when I want power and turn it down when I want economy or the weather is a bit iffy. This is a more ideal solution than simply having a bigger actuator and having silly amounts of power all the time - it'll help keep the car civilised as a daily driver.

like the fact you've done 4000 miles as mine will be mostly motorway driving on a weekend 700 mile round trip plus mileage running around, so it'll quickly stack the miles up. Probably not the most economical thing to do but a big smile on your face after you've put a mini cooper works back in it place has got to make it worth while :D

will keep an eye on this tempted to get one fitted just after the new year but I should wait until the summer just to make sure the funds are stable for the insurance hike as well

DMS

A thirsty 172
Now then Darren, are we setting the omex to control the boost or are you looking at a seperate unit the same as me?

Mines a gizzmo ms ibc and its sh!t hot

Seperate unit mate. Unsure on which model yet though.
Aside from all the other benefits, I should end up with a digital boost guage as well :p

Where's yours fitted out of interest?

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Just in the centre console mate, it's a little out of the way but I'm not really into all these gauges on the A pillar or screwed into the top of the dash.

How comes ktec aren't using the omex 600 feature for boost control?

Mind you if they did I'm not sure if it would be controlable on the move the same as a seperate unit.

It's a shame you didn't use some thing like am Emerald ECU as you can set them up to take a speed reading from the wheels which can be used for traction control but more importantly boost settings per gear ie 10 psi in first, 12 psi in second, then full boost for the other 3 gears. Which would be nice.

DMS

A thirsty 172
UPDATE

I went down to K-Tec yesterday to get the boost controller and de-cat fitted.
Unfortunately due to really bad traffic, two big accidents on the way (and the fact that it's 3½ hours away from my house in the first place) I didn't get there until about 11:50 even though I set off at 6:45 in the morning.
So the boost controller and de-cat were fitted (thanks to Sean for sorting the mix-up out BTW) and by that time there was only about an hour or so left for mapping - which wasn't long enough at all.
Andy got it on the rollers and managed to get some work done with it. The boost controller is set to deliver 0.7 bar at the moment and the ignition and fuelling are set up accordingly. It's currently making 231bhp ATF but peak torque is up by 25lb/ft over what it was before (can't remember the exact figure). Peak torque is also made a lot further up the rev range than it was, and the boost is holding nicely (only dropping by about 0.1 - 0.2 bar from peak). Andy wants to fit a stronger actuator to the turbo anyway because he believes it'll make it easier to set the boost controller up and will allow it to hold the boost over 1 bar.
I need to go back down there again for a full day to get it finished off, but it's looking promising at the moment. Although the power and torque aren't up by much and it's only running 0.2 bar extra, it's REALLY noticeable. I had a run in with a Golf GTi on the way back home and it was no contest, plus I also disposed of a Focus RS on the M1 which was fun. Even though the boost drops very slightly it doesn't feel like it does at all - the car just pulls and pulls right up to 7,000 odd rpm, makes crazy wastegate noises when changing gear and pops a cheeky little flame out on the overrun :D

After feeling the difference from the work done yesterday, I'm now really looking forward to the finished product.

I'm at work at the moment, but I'll post pics and the RR graphs when I get home :)

DMS

A thirsty 172
All being well yes. It's just a real shame we ran out of time yesterday.
TBH it's the torque I'm more bothered about. After gaining so much yesterday it's transformed how the car drives. Foot down in any gear, very little lag, comes on boost and BAM... you're off. If you change down before flooring it, there's no lag whatsoever.