ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

bolted in diff.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
i splitted a box and want to fit a bolt in plate in stead off the circlip, however i layed the plate onto the diff and it isn't flush.
does anyone have pics off the jc5-130 diff?

IMG_3910_zps40dad28d.gif

IMG_3911_zpsd9958a26.gif

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
yes they were removed, it's the plate fauling the edge off the diff. i just wonder if the 130's have that edge turned down or something...

Remember the plate bolts to the gearbox casing so the size of the shoulder is to allow for the thickness of the casing to keep it all in place.

Why wouldn't it work? The circlip is held in by the casing so effectively all you are doing is replacing it with a bolted in ring. You wouldn't bolt the ring to the diff because that wouldn't support anything if you know what I mean. The thrust washer should still go between the ring and diff though.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Thanks for the help but i seriously doubt if you know what you're talking about.

The plate bolts onto the diff without a doubt!

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
machined the plate a bit so the inside radius is smoother and filed the diff inner radius and the plate now lies flush with the diff. thanks for the ideas!

The jc5 130 has the diff machined slightly hence why it won' fit your diff. Should be ok with what you have done, but personaly i would refit the circlip then re machine the plate to sit onto the circlip. There is a guy on ebay from france who makes the exact plate you need just search 182 gearbox and it shall pop up. Last time put a diff plate in was on a ph1 box and the circlip stayed in situ

Last edited:
  R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
had the plate off a friend of mine, this is how it looks now:

IMG_3937_zps9c49a0f4.gif

IMG_3938_zpsb448e667.gif

whats the thought on leaving the circlip in ánd mounting the plate, double strength? i guess i'll be happy if i have no circlip anymore cause if you destroy it it's possible to destroy the rest too! i know the ebay jobbie but this ones for free :)

theres enough that can be done to the jc5, only you wont have to unless your going to turbo the car...

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
the ring/plate is now in place. bolted/locktited on 12.9 M8 bolts.
however the plate was made for M6 so i had to drill out the holes, this wasn't as easy as i thought. plate is awefully tough! eventually managed to make the holes bigger with a mill.

IMG_3949.gif

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Yes, trial fitted it with the bolts in place and could still put my pinky between the bolt and casing :)

R 5
I am looking for jc5-130 differential reinforcement plate. The one with four bolts. I wanted to order it from renault dealership, but they cant find gearbox model that has plate with bolts instead of circlip. I told them it is jc5-130 gearbox but they insist there is no jc5 gearbox with plate instead of circlip. If someone has this part number it would be very helpful.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
No answer. It shows a lot about quality of this forum and about technical expertise of its members.
The part you require isn't available separately from Renault. I keep them in stock for when I convert the diffs from circlip to bolt in.

Just because someone couldn't answer what is quite an obscure question isn't a reason to slur the technical expertise or quality of the forum imo.
I rebuild a lot of these gearboxes, and had I seen your question sooner, I would've answered sooner.

R 5
Thank you for your thorugh answer. Today I received the same info from another source. So that is it, part is not available as separate item, only with differential.
I will have to find another solution.
This is a common problem on clio 172 JC5 gearboxes. I think there are two main causes for broken circlips:
-hard acceleration when one wheel has no grip (like on corner exits) and
-low oil level in gearbox.
Do you agree, or there is something else wrong in diff (satelites...)?

R 5
I had standard JB3 GT Turbo gearbox on my modified R5. 25 years old box with no problems. Then I decided to use JC5 from clio 172 because of better gear ratios. I disassembled it to check if box is in good condition. Found worn 1-2 gear fork and worn diff circlip and washer. So it would be interesting to find why is this happening on clio gearboxes. I have another JC5 box for parts and same thing-worn diff washer and circlip.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I seem to recall that Renault modified the circlip when you buy a replacement one. They just made it thicker so it fills the groove better. It's by no means a permanent fix though imo.

R 5
Gearbox reconditioning goes on.
I ordered new washer under the circlip. There is thicker 2.5mm and thinner 1.8mm washer.
Disassembled gear shaft (gear pyramide). Shaft is hollow so oil is going through it and lubricate gear bushes and synchrons. It was dirty from inside and between bushes and shaft. So my advice is to put it all apart and thoroughly clean all parts when reconditioning the box. Bushes must be heated to 150 C when disassembling and assembling them.
Again problem with ordering parts. There is spring for 1st and 2nd gear synchron. It is not the same as on non sport jc5 boxes. When you order it you will get non sport spring. Right part number for this spring is 7700116330 (only for jc5 089, 129, 130 box) and is temprairly out of stock. If anyone knows where to buy this spring i would appreciate it. Shaft washers (for tappered bearings) are insanely expensive-cca 150 pounds a set for only one shaft!!! Other shaft washers are cca 40 pounds.

Last edited:
  dan's cast offs.
As far as I know the shaft washers come as a set of different sizes to set preload on the bearing?

I shouldh ave a spare clip if you need one.