ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BMW e30 vs e36 vs e46 vs e92 vs e80 M3 review

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Will watch this later with sound, in work :(.

Starting to like the m3's, was never a massive fan tbh.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Chances may be slim, but is that @mikeh E92? Vaguely remember him getting this shape in this colour and the plate looks similar to he's username?

Either way, great comparison vid.

911 GT3, 320i, M3
I thought all these reviews always say the E30 is still the best.

I've had an E30 M3, E36 M3 Evo, E36 M3 3.0 and E46 M3 CSL and would have to agree the E46 was the best all round and not a million miles off my current 996 GT3.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
The e46 is the best of course. But then, we knew that already :wink:

Makes you wonder why he bought a e36 instead.

I've always liked bmw's but never been a big fan as such. As always, they look better in the flesh rather than pics/vids but a good video to watch. Got to say, I still really love the look of the old skool e30, even though the others are better cars.

Swift Sport
Great cars that deserve their place in the automotive hall of fame.
Can't say I've ever wanted any of them though.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
rblffd.jpg
I haven't watched the video yet, but if the 46 came first, that doesn't say much for the rest.

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
I've owned an e36 3.0, an e46 m3 and currently have an E34 touring with a 3.2 evo engine fitted and also an Estoril blue evo m3 coupe.

I prefer the 3.2 evo engines out of them all, although I loved the rasp from the e46.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Affordability would lean towards the E46 but how can the F80 performance and commitment with carbon goodies not impress the masses.???

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I'm fairly sure I've seen all of them sideways at various roundabouts/McDonalds carparks in Plymouth at some point.

I'd take an E30 for the Patrick Snijers experience, but the rest don't really appeal.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Rwd. Lsd. Razor sharp na engine. Perfect Balance.

What's to 'get'? It's basically a recipe for the perfect road car.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

What's to 'get'? It's basically a recipe for the perfect road car.
Dreadful image, rusty, very expensive when it breaks.

Take your tinted spectacles off optician boy!

Out of those, a 3.2 E36 M3 Coupe for me though. I've never liked the 46 M3. If I was in to new cars I'd have new m3 over the rest of the current M range but even then I'd still rather a C63.

Vectra SRi
When I'm in a position where I need to buy a car the e46 will be firmly at the top of the list! Just hope that day comes soon!!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've owned an e36 3.0, an e46 m3 and currently have an E34 touring with a 3.2 evo engine fitted and also an Estoril blue evo m3 coupe.

I prefer the 3.2 evo engines out of them all, although I loved the rasp from the e46.
Pics? Build thread?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

Out of those, a 3.2 E36 M3 Coupe for me though. I've never liked the 46 M3. If I was in to new cars I'd have new m3 over the rest of the current M range but even then I'd still rather a C63.
I'm in Dan's camp. They always feel big and heavy-ish. I think you have to be at 9/10ths to know what the car is all about. No one ever really drives them like that.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

Expensive things cost moneys when they break! Rust is purely age related.

Image Meh. I don't buy cars based on what other people think of them. I drive a Skoda FFS.

Only negative is lack of saloon. That would be perfick.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I'm in Dan's camp. They always feel big and heavy-ish. I think you have to be at 9/10ths to know what the car is all about. No one ever really drives them like that.
Nein Nein Nein. They're more fun at low speeds than an R26. And bonkers at more pace. The engine is immense, more exciting than a new boxster s lump.
2nd best car I've ever driven.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I also adore E46 M3's. I really fancy one but the second hand market looks like a minefield.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

I drove mine from Weybridge to Lands End last night to get home for christmas. Its genuinely the best car ive ever owned/driven, with the csl settings, sport mode on, S6 on the box, its simply ballistic. The engine in the upper reaches of the rev range is just sublime. Oh and noise!!!

Then back on the dual carriage, sport off, in s3 and its a brilliant mile muncher.

Image wise, a standard car is impressive these days imho, all the rude boyz are buying e92s now.

Honestly, i could happily own it forever.

Reactions: Pep

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Wish I'd been able to keep mine. All this chat makes me want to take one out now.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
What we looking at for a decent say 52/03 plate one? Sisters fellas mate bought an smg version and hates it, would have to be a manual version for me