ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Blew gearbox and car won't restart!!

Flamer Barn Find
Hi!

So last weekend I was pulling down a slip road, basically the box blew itself to smithereens and the engine won't restart.

Looking for a bit of advice / next steps to go down.

The box has a massive hole in it and I can replace the box pretty quickly but the engine not starting is my main concern

I feel as if the car over revved when the box went.

The car turns over fine with no strange noises both by hand and with the starter motor.
Pulled the camshaft end caps off and the engine seems to still be timed up OK.

I've lent my compression tester out so will have that back next weekend when i'm home so will compression test the engine.

Question is, is there any chance the fucked box is causing the engine not to start or do we think it's dropped a valve or slipped the timing when over revving?

Flamer Barn Find
Valve/Timing I'd say.

That's what i'm starting to think. will look to do a compression test next weekend when I get a chance and if that is the case i'll pull the head.

Sad thing is, I can probably pick up another engine for how much it'll cost me to strip the head down and redo belts etc!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
That's what i'm starting to think. will look to do a compression test next weekend when I get a chance and if that is the case i'll pull the head.

Sad thing is, I can probably pick up another engine for how much it'll cost me to strip the head down and redo belts etc!

Yeah depending what damage it's done.

Could future proof it with supertech valves and throw some cams in while you're there ?

Flamer Barn Find
Yeah depending what damage it's done.

Could future proof it with supertech valves and throw some cams in while you're there ?

The car's up for sale as soon as it's fixed! It was provisionally sold and I f**king blew it up driving it for it's MOT!

Flamer Barn Find
Engine spinning over fast or sound normal ? Comp test time
spinning over lovely just as I would expect. no strange noises.

I've had one with a snapped belt / no compression and it defo doesn't sound like that!

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
I wonder if the flywheel or tdc sensor is damaged from box blowing up. I would expect it to turn over fast if you had bent valves/skipped timing.

Flamer Barn Find
I wonder if the flywheel or tdc sensor is damaged from box blowing up. I would expect it to turn over fast if you had bent valves/skipped timing.

I was thinking this as well, I remember getting it started once after the box blew and it seemed to be misfiring.

Part of me is tempted to just whip the box off and see if it starts!

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Only one way to find out. As long as you didnt shift into a lower gear and over rev it massively i think it should go again.