ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Black 172 Track Car Project

I bought this car with the intention of turning it into a track car, i dont use it as a daily driver so it allows me to go all out with it as i cant see it being to comfortable for everyday journeys :D

I originally had RB 182, but thought rather than ruin a perfectly good car i would get one for a bit cheaper and put the spare money into it.

Eventually i found a black 172, the wheels were badly curbed, the paintwork looked like it had been washed with grit and the interior wasn't in the best condition. Apart from that the bodywork was pretty much dent free, no signs of repair and all in all a solid car, of course it didn't really matter that much to me as the majority would be coming out or getting replaced.

I have missed alot of photos throughout the majority of it and I don't really have any photos of the car standard but you all get the jist....

P1000703.gif

So once i got it back, it gotput onto the drive and declared SORN.

The first thing i did was buy a machine polisher as the paintwork was in a bad way and it needed a good cleaning which i wasn't prepared to do by hand. It had spent the last two years with a farm owner so you can imagine the sate of it.

DSC00066.gif

DSC00059.gif

Pretty impressed with the results, time to move onto the stripping. This was quite hard to start as i couldnt help but feel i was ruining a perfectly good car. Once i got going, i started to enjoy it :eek:

DSC00064.gif

P1000688.gif

Another task that had to be done was stripping down the rear wiring harness as this will be visible in the interior and i hate shoddy looking wires, so after a few hours of patience and lots of heatwrap stolen from work i got there in the end.

DSC00068.gif

DSC00074.gif

P1000693.gif

Next up was some suspension, settled for some KW V2's and AST top mounts, got them fitted but can't really say how they feel as i have never driven the car :eek:

DSC01151-Copy.gif

DSC01127-1.gif

DSC01154.gif

DSC01152-Copy.gif

DSC00094.gif

DSC00121.gif

Shortly after i managed to get my hands on 5 x OZ f1'a from a lad through newcastle at a baragin price, so i immediately set off refurbing them. what a ball ache doing the red lip was but i am pleased i done it!

DSC00097.gif

DSC00100.gif

DSC00103.gif

DSC00104.gif

DSC00107.gif

DSC00108.gif

DSC00111.gif

Stuck the bumper back on levelled the suspension out so i could get a few quick shots, happy with the outcome. I have a cup spoiler to go on hence none on the photos

DSC01172.gif

DSC01170.gif

DSC01167.gif

DSC01163.gif

DSC01169.gif

DSC01157.gif

After that my favourite part arrived...... the cage, over the moon i finally bit the bullet and got one. very pricey though IMO

DSC01189.gif

getting the mofo in the car was a struggle but it is a snug fit

DSC01185.gif

DSC01178.gif

DSC01184.gif

DSC00163.gif

Getting it to the garage and back for welding was a bit of nightmare too, but everything else wasnt to bad

the snow didnt help

DSC00169.gif

DSC00171.gif

DSC01194.gif

DSC01199.gif

DSC01201.gif

DSC01206.gif

DSC00166.gif

Happy with the outcome of the welding too

Last weekend i started the painting, i rushed the job and just made life harder for myself so will be doing it all again just before i put it back together. The photos make it look alot worse than it is though and i aint missed all the white looking parts it's just the way camera has took too the reflection...... honest!

DSC01212.gif

DSC01214.gif

DSC01215.gif

DSC01216.gif

This weekend stuff seemed to get a little worse, i ended up having to strip more of the car which i really didnt want to to do as i feel i am going backwards, had to remove the heater matrix which meant removing all the stuff under the scuttle panel so whilst i was on i decided to remove the whole interior wiring harness which i should of done ages ago as it makes life so much easier.

Decided the heater wont be going back in either, will be gettin a little one to demist the window

DSC01219.gif

I need to paint in all the footwells too

Once that was out i had to start cutting the dash, pretty impressed with how it has turned out as i didnt want to just chop the ends of the dash off so after taking the dash in and out all day and taking a little bit more off everytime i got there in the end

DSC01232.gif

I also decided to put the seat and harness in to get an idea
thumbup.gif

DSC01231.gif

DSC01234.gif

DSC01233.gif

DSC01230.gif

DSC01236.gif

DSC01226.gif

DSC01227.gif

DSC01224.gif

All has to come out now so i can get it sent away to get flocked, then have to decide where to put the new battery, try and tidy the wiring harness a little, i wont be chopping any wires this time around as i just need to get it running, sand it all down, trial fit a few little bits here and there, sand the interior down and paint it AGAIN! order some carbon doorcards and then put it all back in, should get me a little bit close to completion.... a little bit

Then after this i will just gradually upgrade the car throughout the year and then when it starts to get colder again will end up taking the engine out and maybe starting on that.... see how this year goes first :D

Last edited:
  Clio 172
looks brilliant. real attention to detail. looking forward to the next update.

I second what the_prophet said! ;)

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Great project so far mate. Look forward to seeing how it progresses, along with pics of the misses :eek:

Any idea how much weight you've taken out or how much it weighs?

pics of the missis tied to the roll cage please.

FLOL!

TrackCar & F30 330d
I WANT THAT ROLL CAGE.

Its excactly what i want, 100% spot on.

Whats the make and how much was it and where did you get it from? (PM me if you want) :)

Love the wheels, they look really smart. I think you'll find its too low at the front and you'l catch the metal catches for the bumper, but it does look cracking :)

Look forward to seeing more updates.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Superb project mate, looks bloody brilliant.

At this point I would have had to stop, put a nice set of recaros and a leather rear bench in it, and just use it daily, looks so good!!!
DSC01163.gif

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
sweet..... must have used all the money from the 182 up tho... and some?

Great work :approve:

A proper cage there, haven't seen doorbars like that in a clio before, who makes the cage?

It's an OMP cage mate

Great project so far mate. Look forward to seeing how it progresses, along with pics of the misses :eek:

Any idea how much weight you've taken out or how much it weighs?

FLOL!

I have no idea tbh, just being stripping it to how i want,this year is more of a taster, so it will be up and running throughout the summer then next year it will all come apart and get some serious work done :D

nice! not a fan of the style of them door bars tho

I was going to buy some extra material to put full X bars in but it means i can have that bar lower, makes it easier to get in and out and allows the dash to fit better

I WANT THAT ROLL CAGE.

Its excactly what i want, 100% spot on.

Whats the make and how much was it and where did you get it from? (PM me if you want) :)

Love the wheels, they look really smart. I think you'll find its too low at the front and you'l catch the metal catches for the bumper, but it does look cracking :)

Look forward to seeing more updates.

It's an OMP cage, it got it from YB racing, yeah it will be trial and error with the front arches, I will be attacking it with a grinder and there will be no arch liners. I'm hoping i am going to be able to make a different fitment for the bumper with some sort of quick release on there, aint looked into it yet

sweet..... must have used all the money from the 182 up tho... and some?

Money is long gone :eek:

And cheers for all the positive comments

Some boring updates really

Got a little bit done this weekend, on Friday i decided that since the dash is ready to be sent off, before i go any further i need to check the car is still working, so i put all the interior loom back in, lobbed a battery in and plugged all the switches and clocks etc in. It didnt start at first, so after about an hour of head scratching and my heart beginning to sink i got there in the end.... all is good!
smile.gif

was nice just to hear it running. Everything still works too which is a bonus

My passenger seat arrived this weekend, its the same as the other

DSC01246.gif

Also the cup spoiler and washer blanks that i had bought and painted, i decided to wet and dry them and buff them up

DSC01243-1.gif

Really impressed with the outcome, looks like a pro has painted them! :p

Saturday was really shite weather so i just chilled, It's my first day off that i havn't done anything on the car in a while

Today, i started to take the loom and everything back out of the car, also took the doors, rear bumper and tailgate off as i am going to paint the inside again and all the inside off the doors as well as the parts where the doors shut and where the bumpers go (if that makes sense)

It will also be easier to get a much better finish on the inside of the doors

DSC01244.gif

DSC01249.gif

DSC01252.gif

DSC01251.gif

I also finally got the exhaust off that was originally on... anyone wanna buy it?
wink.gif

DSC01254.gif

After that i was going to start sanding the interior out but i got sidetracked, down the side of the drive was a load of weeds and stuff and i got sick of crawling through it, it also ended up having nuts, bolts, brake pads and random car parts in it and started to look like a scrapyard. So i dug it all up, cleared it out and went to homebase to buy some flagstones and laid them all, much nicer now and is alot easier to work down the side, i then tidied the garage and took a load of crap up to the scrapyard, pretty impressed as i am no Alan Titchmarsh!

No photo's of the newdrive extension though, sorry
wink.gif

TrackCar & F30 330d
I have been looking for that cage on the internet and i think i have found the right one :)

Just over a £1000 tho now :(

Still getting bought tho lol

Are you going to cut the second skins out of some of the doors, boot & bonnet?

DCi 100
OMP cage yeah? As the only other pics on the net I've found have the horizontal bar (which you have you harness over atm) right into the joint between the X frame, not lower like yourself.

Ace car anyways, will this be Oulton etc this year?

im loving the red lip on the wheels, sets it off nicely

Cheers

I have been looking for that cage on the internet and i think i have found the right one :)

Just over a £1000 tho now :(

Still getting bought tho lol

Are you going to cut the second skins out of some of the doors, boot & bonnet?

Good lad ;p

Doubt i will be chopping the skins out

OMP cage yeah? As the only other pics on the net I've found have the horizontal bar (which you have you harness over atm) right into the joint between the X frame, not lower like yourself.

Ace car anyways, will this be Oulton etc this year?

Yeah it's omp, will be trying to get as many track days done as possible this year, will be attending some of the big shows too but wont be doing any tracktime on them

Fantastic!

Thanks!

Quality stuff, glad you made a progress thread.

I'll try and keep it updated ;)

It's spray paint, the glass was already cracked so I got it chopped out, just lies on the car for now to keep rain out. Lol.

Mk1 F4R
It's going to germany first. Lol

I prasume its the ring
Who put the cage in was it a certified welder because if not you wont be able to get on the ring, there is a long list now of what can and cant be done, if your car is standard that is fine. Have you seen the new ruels and regs for the place now, this is the reason me and 6 of my mates aren't going now and we had hotel, ferry and hotel in dover booked all has to be canceled. I also heard that your car has to comply with TUV standards (german mot basically) if your car is modded.
Door cards are also a must

EDIT: Was ment to put TUV lol

Last edited: