ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bilstein B14 Experiences

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Right, I have just spent a s**t load of cash refreshing all the suspension on my car. Reading up on here everyone seems to rate the B14s, bought a set and now fitted they are so hard! If the car is just sat level on the ground and you push down on the front wings they barely move. The cars handling is now ruined, wheel hopping everywhere and so on edge over any bumps. Unless the road is totally smooth then its bumping around and i have to fight the steering.

Has anyone else had the same issues? I was worried about the fixed damping and it seems to have proven me right, i just can't imagine this is how they are supposed to be.

I might have to remove and sell for some GAZ or KW so i get adjustable damping.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Check your tracking if it's twitching about.
They will be quite hard when you first fit them but they will soon soften up a bit.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
What did you have on before? If you were on standard springs and shocks it will feel firmer but b14's aren't a hard ride from experience.

What specs did you go for on the alignment as that'll make a massive difference in how it handles.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
It had standard shocks and springs, they should not be this firm no way. As for alignment the car was just set ride height and and tracking so it drove straight. As far as im aware that's it. I'm really disappointed with them so far. I can't see anything going wrong when installing tbh so yer bit confused.

robmuns

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
I'd agree with the bilsteins being harsh compared to a standard setup, I went to them from Eibach Pro line springs and although the handling was definitely improved, the car did struggle down bumpy roads.. I've got bc's now and on the softer settings they're are perfect for the road!

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
I'd agree with the bilsteins being harsh compared to a standard setup, I went to them from Eibach Pro line springs and although the handling was definitely improved, the car did struggle down bumpy roads.. I've got bc's now and on the softer settings they're are perfect for the road!

Are the rear shocks adjustable, damping wise?

172 Turbo
You'll get used to them, I felt seasick on the first night I had mine driving up to EFI and watching my headlights bounce up and down on the motorway.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
You'll get used to them, I felt seasick on the first night I had mine driving up to EFI and watching my headlights bounce up and down on the motorway.

The problem is Keith it's not about getting used to them, good suspension should have some compliance. If the suspension barely compresses or there isn't much movement then its going to be bad. Even the races cars they had there had more movement in suspension then mine!

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
If you think B14's are hard, I wouldn't bother with any other coilovers. They'll be the same if not harder.

Think you need to man up :tongueclosed:

Lol i have had worse suspension like all the cheap s**t in the past. I need someone who has some Bilies to go outside and press the car down and tell me how much it moves. I just can't believe it's supposed to be like this.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Do you run solid top mounts? I cant remember.

Bilsteins are soft once driving. When you press on the wings its stiffish, but once on the road its nice and smooth.

Last edited:

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Do you run solid top mounts? I cant remember.

Bilsteins are soft.

Mark if Bilies are soft then i must be crazy or something is seriously wrong. I don't have solid top mounts just OEM. Not sure if its because of that big spacer washer? I wish i could show you and i think you would be shocked.

The wife is out in mine at the moment or I would for you

If you could check when you can that would be awesome, are you around now? Tempted to drive up and show you what i mean.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Ive edited my post as ive never pushed down on my wing (that i can remember anyway) and ive just gone outside and done it.

Mine feels pretty stiff doing it by hand, but i once im driving its very soft/smooth. Ive done over 10k on mine i believe.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Maybe they do soften up after some use, but right now it really is unbearable. Mark where do you live lol i want to show you! Only way im going to find out is by comparing with other cars that have them fitted.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Haha. I tried to video it but when i pushed down, it hardly moved. Its totally different once rolling.

I even took a friend out and he commented on how smooth the billies were.

PS, Work in Colliers End (Hertfordshire) Currently live in Harlow (Essex)

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
I've a new set on my cup along with pms top mounts, all other bushes have also been renewed, i find these are very comfortable and for giving considering the state of our roads, I've had spax and avo coilovers on other cars in the past and they were crazy uncomfortable and very crashy no matter how they were set up, if anything the only thing i would say is sometimes they actually feel too soft when pushing really hard

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
So yer i am not crazy or not man enough, took the car over to see @masekwm and he took it for a spin. Instantly told me it was far stiffer, can only imagine what he would of said if we went on some proper country roads! Went out in his car shortly after (sold on turbo and the diff tho) and it has a similar setup to mine and its far comfier, much more compliant and actually absorbs the bumps without it throwing the car off.

Defo think its a setup issue tho rather than the coilovers themselves. I will take it and get it done and then go from there really, not much else i can do. I will go and see @STEVE.M tomorrow and he can test it as well. On a nice smooth bit of twisty road its lovely, but the height must be different on each corner and it's just messing with it i reckon.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
So i called Bilstein for some advice, basically the only thing that's going to affect the damping is the ride height. Either the car is too high or its too low. @Dr Jekyll are you on 16's still? Whats the height like on yours?

Anyone else running 16s and have pics?

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
No mate. I'm on 15s. Here's a few pics to show how mine sits:

2017-07-11_04-58-47.jpg
2017-07-11_06-00-09.jpg
2017-07-11_04-59-20.jpg

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Right went to see @STEVE.M took him for a spin and he agreed it was too firm. Took his for a spin and its on GAZ's and it was like driving an S Class compared! I defo think mine is too high and thats the issue.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Looks like we have sorted it, lowered the front and now its so much better! Also flipped the rear springs and adjusters as they were upside down apparently. Can't believe how much better it is now, just need a proper setup next week and should be good to go.

PH2 172
Looks like we have sorted it, lowered the front and now its so much better! Also flipped the rear springs and adjusters as they were upside down apparently. Can't believe how much better it is now, just need a proper setup next week and should be good to go.

Release & retighten the 4 front wishbone bolts with the weight of the car sitting on them just so you know that is correct, unless you had had assurances that this was done previously, before commencing corner weighting.

Hope you got this sorted. Would recommend b14's to anyone. Drove to Nurburgring and back didn't feel rough at all but they are quite stiff when pressing on the wing and awesome in the corners especially if you' e refreshed the suspension. Makes a massive difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
just how high was it? I imagined it had to be too low and hitting the bump stops regularly thus causing that crashy feeling you were experiencing