ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

I have a bolt in mine

22EC06CD-ED3A-4BF8-B66A-EFEFD741C7F0-2223-0000020121442516.jpg

182cup & 172 racecar
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

I've just had a look at ours, and yes there is a bolt in there.

182cup & 172 racecar

Good question, but I don't fancy taking it out to find out.

Try Fred or Danny, they should know.

Cup In bits

Looks to have had a bolt in it untill recently, you can see the corrosion ring. Holds on timing case to engine ..no?

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car

It looks like a bolt holding the front cover on , I'm sure it was going to cause problems it would be leaking by now ?? the front cover is also held in place by the sump as well.

Looking at your photo , and the access on the car , you should be able to helicoil it in place for peace of mind

Good question, but I don't fancy taking it out to find out.

Try Fred or Danny, they should know.
Haha tis very true! I ran the engine up last night for 20 odd mins so I hope not :dead:

Yes I will check Monday morning just thought I'd put this up over the weekend so I didn't have to pester anyone at the weekend :)
Looks to have had a bolt in it untill recently, you can see the corrosion ring. Holds on timing case to engine ..no?
Yes that was what I though put look to hold the water pump to the block to me!

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car

no its not the water pump , you can see that clearer on my pic , water pumps to the right

182cup & 172 racecar

It seems to do nothing, but I can't be arsed to scramble under the 182 etc. Sorry.

It looks like a bolt holding the front cover on , I'm sure it was going to cause problems it would be leaking by now ?? the front cover is also held in place by the sump as well.

Looking at your photo , and the access on the car , you should be able to helicoil it in place for peace of mind
Yes it does look to go quite deep and there is a hole at the end which was the bit that concerned me! True but the engine has always leaked oil on this side and is gradually getting worse so was looking for where its coming from!

Thanks for that mate :)

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car

its easier for me to see as I have my car up in the air on the ramp , and a spare engine on an engine stand under it !

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car

No you want a bolt :D

Lionel Richie

thats the oil pump cover, if its not leaking it should be ok, where the f**k has that gone? (we didn't touch the engine incase people think its BTM being shoddy!)

BMW Z4

Mine was also missing and I noticed because it started leaking oil. Put a bolt in it and don't be so shoddy ;)

thats the oil pump cover, if its not leaking it should be ok, where the f**k has that gone? (we didn't touch the engine incase people think its BTM being shoddy!)
Haha that is what I thought and lucky it didn't get stuck in the belts lol!

Sorry no of course not mate :)
Mine was also missing and I noticed because it started leaking oil. Put a bolt in it and don't be so shoddy ;)
Ahhh yes I have spent ages looking at that area of the engine in the last few days as I can't work out where its leaking oil from :(

Haha okay lol ;) I will call Renault in the morning and collect it on the way to testing on Tuesday.

Does anyone know the name of the daft head on the bolt so I can get the required tool to fit the bolt? :)

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

Touque headed bolt (think its spelt like that)

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

If not leaking, ignore. If leaking, consider fixing.

Touque headed bolt (think its spelt like that)
Thanks mate I will have an ebay :)
If not leaking, ignore. If leaking, consider fixing.
It doesn't seem to be leaking from that hole no mate :) It is leaking from where around there though! Bloody french cars its been leaking for months but it's getting worse so don't want it to suddenly dump its contents lol

172 cup, Impreza P1

Mine was leaking badly from the same area. Thought it was the crank seal but ended up being the cover plate was loose. Had to take the engine out for other things and so was easy to sort that when it was out.

Crank seal?
Had another look tonight and as Dan said a few pages back it does look to be this and the sump gasket! Will hopefully be okay for the next week and then the engine will get sorted over winter :)
Mine was leaking badly from the same area. Thought it was the crank seal but ended up being the cover plate was loose. Had to take the engine out for other things and so was easy to sort that when it was out.
Mmm that could be a possibility too :) As long as its okay for 10 days i'm happy!

Had another look at the bolt hole and it has got no thread left in it :S its very odd!

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.

Can you not re tap the thread?

I wouldn't have a clue mate :( lol! I will just leave it for now and then it can get sorted when the engine is in bits

Car is pretty much ready for testing I think now :) Got to fit the polybush dog bone when it arrives in a few hours, wire up a few last bits, clean it and load it onto the trailer for Tuesday!

WRX

Morning Tony.
Lovely strip James:cool:

172 cup, Impreza P1

Had another look tonight and as Dan said a few pages back it does look to be this and the sump gasket! Will hopefully be okay for the next week and then the engine will get sorted over winter :)

Mmm that could be a possibility too :) As long as its okay for 10 days i'm happy!

Are you racing in the next 10 days?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

He is racing, then doing the ring, then doing spa.

So I hope for his sake it isnt leaking much!

Sump is a pretty quick job to reseal TBH, I would aim to get that done before going out again if it is leaking from there,

172 cup, Impreza P1

He is racing, then doing the ring, then doing spa.

Sump is a pretty quick job to reseal TBH, I would aim to get that done before going out again if it is leaking from there,

Mine was leaking slightly before going on the rollers to get mapped and by the time we were finished it was like Niagara Falls so I would not recommend doing these events before knowing where the leak is coming from.

I could of stayed on for a chat lol! All the smoke alarms were going off in the house and I couldn't turn them off :(
Lovely strip James:cool:
Haha thanks mate :)
Yes :(

You missed out 3 lots of testing too :(

To be fair the sump is only weeping and has been for months and *touchwood* it seems to stay the same!
Mine was leaking slightly before going on the rollers to get mapped and by the time we were finished it was like Niagara Falls so I would not recommend doing these events before knowing where the leak is coming from.
Ohh bloody hell this is worrying me :(!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Take the sump off and reseal it, only a few hours work. Especially as its been off recently which means the bolts won't be seized in.
You don't need to touch the subframe, just lift the engine up.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Maybe the sump is twisted? Did you check it on a flat surface?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

won't be the sump unless it has a crack, it will be the the rear main bearing cap leaking at the edges