ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

Golf GTD Mk7
You thought about fitting oil cooler to help cool engine?

Was it over heating while moving or stationary? Cooler does help while moving, but mine overheats once returning to the pits. Throttle gets nice and sticky :) what about raising the rear of the bonnet slightly?

172 Race Car
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

he'd have to race elsewhere then, not allowed in our series

Lionel Richie
Re: James/BigAsh 182 Race Car by TDF... It doesn't get much better than this! *Pic He

standard silhouette (although i think a few are running spoilers on the back)

172 Race Car

What's the reasoning behind that? Or is it just a case of rules are rules.
its kept as standard sillouette to keep costs down and to make the cars recognisable. if not for that rule everyone would run big arches, splitters, diffusers and big wings, cars would look a mess

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...

smash the bonnet in where there space with a hammer and then fit a dirty great bonnet scoop.......take that silhouette rule, kapow!

Was it over heating while moving or stationary? Cooler does help while moving, but mine overheats once returning to the pits. Throttle gets nice and sticky :) what about raising the rear of the bonnet slightly?
The coolant was overheating in the race when moving but hopefully that is all sorted as made a couple of minor mod's to get more airflow to the rad! Unfortunately the oil temp gauge has only worked once and that was when I was loading it on the trailer lol so I don't have a clue what the oil temps are. I am hopefully going to have that sorted for Oulton though. Do you mean your oil overheats or the coolant mate? Yes Fred has suggested that to me so we will see what the temps are after testing next week and go from there :)

Golf GTD Mk7
It's more a coolant thing with mine. Once needle gets to half way i get a sticky throttle. Cruise control on cable throttle :)

Ahh okay! I don't know why but I thought you'd swapped to ITB's earlier in the year. Bet that's exciting on track lol! I remember last time at Llandow when my throttle stuck open it was a touch scary lol

Clio

What camera do you use ? Only ask because I've just had a drift 170 for my motorbike

And yours looks fine so hop it's the same

I'm not to sure to be fair i've had it since 2008 and think its called a chase cam PDR-100! Does the job for me well :)

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86

^ when its not flopping about lol

Haha good point Colin I need to remember to spanner check the camera mount :) Will add it to the list!

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86

Might pop over to Oulton next weds if you are there James let me know.
Cheers

I will let you know next week if thats ok Colin! I'm going to be in Maccelsfield in the morning to get my new exhaust fitted :) Then depending on what time i'm done I am planning to go to Oulton and try and get on for the afternoon just to learn the track! Shouldn't be an issue as Bookatrack owe me plenty of credit

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

It's more a coolant thing with mine. Once needle gets to half way i get a sticky throttle. Cruise control on cable throttle :)

sounds like a badly routed cable

WRX

Really wanted to come to Oulton but it coincides with a karting race school my son's doing. Whilst I'd love to watch all our boys and girls, seeing the apple of my eye doing it wins. Have to attend some more next year. Good luck mate.

Golf GTD Mk7

Ahh okay! I don't know why but I thought you'd swapped to ITB's earlier in the year. Bet that's exciting on track lol! I remember last time at Llandow when my throttle stuck open it was a touch scary lol

It's more once in traffic to be honest. Plus you sound like a right dick sat there at the lights with the engine reving around 3k.lol. It's not like my BTB is very quiet :)

Didn't think about the cable, I assumed it would be to do with the butterfly expanding? The cable route is very similar to that of the ph1, which were also prone to sticking, but not for cable reasons iirc?

Really wanted to come to Oulton but it coincides with a karting race school my son's doing. Whilst I'd love to watch all our boys and girls, seeing the apple of my eye doing it wins. Have to attend some more next year. Good luck mate.

Same, it's just managed to fall on the day of my Evening Do, so i'm pretty sure the new wife won't be happy :)

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes

Make sure there is a passenger seat in it for the ring trip :)

yes... so Chip can witness first hand my Clio with his 'chip special engine' in it handing your one its Ass! :)

Had a problem with my cable too so re-routed the other week and its much better and neater now :)
Don't worry about it Adam and have fun watching your son I hope he does well :) You are always welcome and get in touch whenever you want to come to one and you are welcome to a ticket if there are any left! Thanks :)
Plus you sound like a right dick sat there at the lights with the engine reving around 3k.lol. It's not like my BTB is very quiet :)
Haha lol :) New exhaust next week for me which i'm looking forward too!
yes... so Chip can witness first hand my Clio with his 'chip special engine' in it handing your one its Ass! :)
Love it :rasp: Mine has certainly got a special engine too but unfortunately unlike yours not in a good way lol

The passenger seat was loaded into the car the other day so it will be there and then the fun can commence ;) I still need to book my blooming ferry will go and do it now!

It's more once in traffic to be honest. Plus you sound like a right dick sat there at the lights with the engine reving around 3k.lol. It's not like my BTB is very quiet :)

Hello John,

I had the same problem on the way home, have you got a back stop for the throttle, if not use the full throttle stop screw on your TB, I reversed this and fitted my own 2nd spring return, you can then adjust the idle, mine runs at 1200rpm on start and when warmed up sits at 1050rpm on idle. the problem is without the back stop and enough spring tension to return the cable just returns to any place. Hope this helps.

Sorry about clogging up your thread James

Regards Russ........

No worries Russ :) I didn't realise Jonny had the same tb as you! I remember you modded yours

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

I had the same problem on the way home, have you got a back stop for the throttle, if not use the full throttle stop screw on your TB, I reversed this and fitted my own 2nd spring return, you can then adjust the idle, mine runs at 1200rpm on start and when warmed up sits at 1050rpm on idle. the problem is without the back stop and enough spring tension to return the cable just returns to any place. Hope this helps.

Regards Russ........

careful about messing with static throttle settings and not adjusting the ecu. you will effect TPS zero position, and more importantly spark idle control. if you have too much throttle opening the ecu will put in a lot of r****d and you will overheat on a hot day in traffic

careful about messing with static throttle settings and not adjusting the ecu. you will effect TPS zero position, and more importantly spark idle control. if you have too much throttle opening the ecu will put in a lot of r****d and you will overheat on a hot day in traffic

Cheers Dan, will probably need setting up again, but when I got home I just could'nt drive it as it was, it would idle from 1400-2500, it does get warm and stalls every now and then on warm days !

Regards Russ......

Lionel Richie

i had to move BIGASH's throttle cable as it was above the exhaust manifold which isn't the way i like them!

Golf GTD Mk7

Hello John,

Regards Russ........

Yeah back stop is there. I've adjusted the return spring so the pedal fully lifts all the time now :rolleyes: Idle on mine is fine, however i'm hoping the addition of wideband lambda will sort out the fuelling low revs, which will stop any kangarooing, and hopefully reduce engine temp also. Full chat she pulls well though :D

No worries Russ :) I didn't realise Jonny had the same tb as you! I remember you modded yours

Indeed :cool: although mine is 64mm S2000, I think Russ runs 68mm.

That's on my list of things to do this week while I'm off work

Not keen on the throttle cable going all the way up and over the engine

Yeah back stop is there. I've adjusted the return spring so the pedal fully lifts all the time now :rolleyes: Idle on mine is fine, however i'm hoping the addition of wideband lambda will sort out the fuelling low revs, which will stop any kangarooing, and hopefully reduce engine temp also. Full chat she pulls well though :D

Indeed :cool: although mine is 64mm S2000, I think Russ runs 68mm.

I hope not, I asked for 64mm as I thought that 68mm was way to big !!

Good luck at Oulton James, I look foreward to write up and all the rest who are running, I'm working this weekend and next Sat so can't call across.

Regards Russ........

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86

You must be building up a nice race budget there Russ ;) Looks like there will be another 3 or 4 clio's running next year.

I hope not, I asked for 64mm as I thought that 68mm was way to big !!

Good luck at Oulton James, I look foreward to write up and all the rest who are running, I'm working this weekend and next Sat so can't call across.

Regards Russ........

Thanks Russ :) It's going be a hectic week for the car from Tuesday so got a few busy days now to get it all ready! Don't worry about it and i'm sure i'll see you soon!

Yes Colin quite a few more from what I hear! I was chatting to some chaps at Donington who are building a couple of Clio's they really seem to of taken off as a choice of car for racing

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

Cheers Dan, will probably need setting up again, but when I got home I just could'nt drive it as it was, it would idle from 1400-2500, it does get warm and stalls every now and then on warm days !

Regards Russ......

PMSL. brilliant job done then

Does anyone know if there is supposed to be a bolt that goes into the hole circled below?
file-13.jpg

I was just checking over the car and it looks like there used to be one but there isn't really a thread I can see so just wanting to make sure it hasn't vibrated loose in a race and is a hole into the engine lol