ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

What do you have on their currently AST Sp2s?
Yes mate AST 2's :)
we're just about to order some special suspension for Steve's 500+ monster, give me a call and i'll fill you in ;)

always said AST's need work, not bad for the £££ though
Haha I just tried and got voicemail ;)

Yes don't get me wrong could play around with the valving but then it wouldn't be much cheaper than the new setup but still lack the adjustability of the 3 or 4 way kit which is what I feel I need now.

The AST's have been great for me for the money and just bolt them on and go but got to look outside the box and move forward I think :)

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Had a little jaunt into the field at Croft lol
file_zpsbd1b27f4.jpg

file_zpsf362e3cd.jpg

Also found some of the polystyrene board from Donington! The engine bay was full of mud from the field so time to give it all a final clean for the year

file_zpsb825bf5b.jpg

file_zpsd1952f48.jpg

Parked up for the foreseeable future :(

file_zps646c4926.jpg

Stripped off all the bits I need to get fixed

file_zps2af85d9c.jpg

file_zpsbd92cdd9.jpg

file_zpsdacfcf24.jpg

Since swapping to the EBC pads I seem to have cracked the front disc's badly but only on the outer face, going to get them inspected it could just be due to age as the same discs have been on for 2 years now.

Dampers off and ready to be taken for inspection and same with the gearbox ready to go to gripper :)

Moving forwards with the car I am unsure which way to go, I have had a few people drive it and everyone seems to come up with the same opinion which I also agree and that is the dampers are getting to the point of struggling. I think I have just maximised what they will give so I'm wondering about swapping them out for some other units. The only other thing is building an engine for the car its become increasingly apparent since fitting the new gearbox that to maximise it and its closer ratios then I need to have a more peaky and later power delivery so quite tempted to build up and engine. The thing is I can only afford to do one so its a choice between some very nice dampers or a nice engine..... Mmmm

Sweet talk your Mrs into buying one for Xmas ;)

172 Rally Car
Slightly off current topic, what did you do to the handbrake? I saw a picture but couldn't find out what you had done searching the thread.

182cup & 172 racecar
Yes that's right, and no I can't remember either, we talked about doing something, had a smoke, then Zoltan had it in his hand all done.
Real team effort.

Sorry Sam I only have the one picture somewhere on this thread and i've now moved to MK so won't be back with the car until xmas! If you still need pics at xmas just let me know and i'll get some and send them over :)

So it was a week today since at Croft and having the gearbox noise. We originally thought the crownwheel had lost a tooth but I dropped it off at Gripper (its a gripper box) they have been massively helpful and very quickly turned it round. It turns out its actually lost a tooth off the pinion :(. It was apparently a custom made one off crown wheel and pinion so they are looking into changing to spec to stop a repeat. Really impressed with the service by them :) Looking forward to get my lovely gearbox back!

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Nice one James, they're a good bunch down there, glad it was nothing too serious. I assume it's not done damage to any other part of the box?

Nice one James, they're a good bunch down there, glad it was nothing too serious. I assume it's not done damage to any other part of the box?
Yes they are :) Apparently everything else looks in tip top condition
So you have two boxes with grippers in then?
I used to have a gripper diff with helical crown wheel and pinion. I then had the issue with the casing cracking and also syncro issues. I then found a gearbox for sale that was a gripper diff with straight cut final drive and also a straight cut, close ratio dog gear kit (No syncro’s hence me not using the clutch sometimes in the videos) The ratios are perfect and also not having the syncro’s is one less thing to worry about. It’s so good to drive with :)

I then found a gearbox for sale that was a gripper diff with straight cut final drive and also a straight cut, close ratio dog gear kit (No syncro’s hence me not using the clutch sometimes in the videos) The ratios are perfect and also not having the syncro’s is one less thing to worry about. It’s so good to drive with :)

I didn't even notice this!!! Will have to go back and watch again now lol!

It’s only been fitted since a few day before Donington :) The biggest difference is first gear it used to only do about 30mph in first but now does over 60mph in first and then 15-20mph per gear.

I have a pedal camera from Croft i’ll try and get up :)

It’s only been fitted since a few day before Donington :) The biggest difference is first gear it used to only do about 30mph in first but now does over 60mph in first and then 15-20mph per gear.

I have a pedal camera from Croft i’ll try and get up :)

Sounds awesome. What's the benefit of having such close ratios? Is that the correct terminology?? I literally have no idea..

Ohh Please do, would like a little watch of that :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sounds awesome. What's the benefit of having such close ratios? Is that the correct terminology?? I literally have no idea..

Closer ratios allow you to keep it in the optimum rev range better, although with a good spread of torque like James has currently thats less useful than on a very peaky mega lairy cammed engine.

Unf... I come over all inappropriate when people talk about straight cut gear kits.

My mate used to have one in his 106 years ago and the noise... ugh
Haha yes I love the noise :)

As Chip has said much easier to keep a peaky engine on the boil :)

Will do!
The noise in James's isnt especially loud TBH, no more than a normal reverse gear.
Haha I think it’s pretty noisy, when flat out then yeah its difficult to hear with a helmet and intercom/radio but when trundling around on a cool down lap or round the paddock I think its pretty noisy

[video=youtube_share;0hHxeB-ITfQ]http://youtu.be/0hHxeB-ITfQ[/video]

Looked through the pedal cam footage and mostly was rubbish. This video was in the wet and I think there was a bit of traffic :)

I used to have a gripper diff with helical crown wheel and pinion. I then had the issue with the casing cracking and also syncro issues. I then found a gearbox for sale that was a gripper diff with straight cut final drive and also a straight cut, close ratio dog gear kit (No syncro’s hence me not using the clutch sometimes in the videos) The ratios are perfect and also not having the syncro’s is one less thing to worry about. It’s so good to drive with :)

This car just got more awesome.

[video=youtube_share;0hHxeB-ITfQ]http://youtu.be/0hHxeB-ITfQ[/video]

Looked through the pedal cam footage and mostly was rubbish. This video was in the wet and I think there was a bit of traffic :)

That looks seriously impressive mate.

When you heel and toe, do you not feel that the ball of your foot is just balancing on the brake pedal to be able to reach the throttle?

It's new to me still but when I do it I feel as if I'm right on the edge of the pedal and could potentially slip off of it or miss judge it..

I think my throttle pedal is too hight though because now when applying the brake hard the throttle is far too high to reach and my foot is almost under it.

This car just got more awesome.
Haha thanks :) Everyone seems to love it thats driven it even on the dyno when we were flat shifting we were all giggling like children lol

[video=youtube_share;ZGSPy4spVw0]http://youtu.be/ZGSPy4spVw0[/video]

That looks seriously impressive mate.

When you heel and toe, do you not feel that the ball of your foot is just balancing on the brake pedal to be able to reach the throttle?

It's new to me still but when I do it I feel as if I'm right on the edge of the pedal and could potentially slip off of it or miss judge it..

I think my throttle pedal is too hight though because now when applying the brake hard the throttle is far too high to reach and my foot is almost under it.
Thanks Martin :)

No not really although if you look in the video you will see my throttle pedal is adjustable to move it closer or further away from the brake pedal. I could actually do to move it over a bit more but I always forget. I’ve struggled tbf with heal and toe on the new gearbox as everything has to be perfectly precise as the gearbox wants really quick changes. I was the same with heal and toe when I was younger but then just started doing it daily when driving around in a manual car and it becomes second nature. It’s the same with a few driving habits for track such as trail braking I tend to carry them over onto the roads and it makes everything so natural you just don’t even think about it.

In the video you will see i’m covering at least 3/4 of the brake pedal and then getting the throttle by pivoting my foot up and across so if I’m going to miss a pedal it will be the throttle not the brake, this also helps for when the throttle pedal is higher like you say yours is.

Thanks for explaining, I'm going to try and take what you've said and apply it to my attempts. Can't help but think my pedal needs to be lower though. Probably just need more practise.

WRX
Sometimes you can be too gentle when doing it Martin. Whilst obviously being as smooth as possible, you may need to be a little more aggressive with the blip. As James says, try practising a lot of track techniques whilst on the road (at sensible speeds obviously lol). Imagining racing lines, smooth inputs, heel & toe etc. so they become second nature.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
I find its easier to heal and toe successfully when fully committed to the brake pedal, trying to practise at low speeds on the road is a bit of a pain. I have an adjustable pedal as well and it certainly helps but it all depends on where you're brake pedal ends up while braking really. Good thing about having the go pro in mine is that its really wide angled so can see my feet while in normal position viewing out of the windscreen.
Russ

clio cup
I just tried this toe and heel thingy you guys are talking about and crashed my car,
What did I do wrong, my car is a BMW X5 Auto,

Spoke with Gripper this week and they have been working on a new design for the crown wheel and pinion and have worked out a new way of making it to stop a repeat. Really impressed with the effort they are going to for a one off item :) Making gears is a long process so unfortunately it doesn’t look like i’ll get the box back until late January.

I’m at AST next Friday to get the dampers repaired and also going to order the new set of front brake rotors.

My plan was to get the car back together over xmas while i’m back up north (Living in MK now) the gearbox put a spanner in the works for that at the beginning of the week and yesterday my house up north (where the car is) sold. This means I have to clear all the car out by mid February :( On the bright side it’s good timing for the Bedford trackday.

Still not decided if i’m going to do anything with the engine but i’ve decided to leave the suspension for now and not swap like I was thinking of.

Last edited by a moderator:
  XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
The Flywheel, a Billet KT item by any chance, the same as on porkies new engine?
maybe Via Steve?

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Can I ask a favour please James, can you PM who at Gripper you're dealing with and also how much they charge for recon (if you know).

I'm going to send mine back to them for a recon when the engine is out, save getting it out again in 6k miles or so... :)

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
must admit, while my engine/box are out and things are being changed, I am sooo tempted to get a diff sorted out before reassembling again.

do they deal direct with customers and sales?
or a slightly better to get a diff/CWP from an agent and use my own guy to have it all fitted?

The Flywheel, a Billet KT item by any chance, the same as on porkies new engine?
maybe Via Steve?
I’m not sure to be fair buddy but Porkies was via Steve and mine is too so I think they will be similar although mine is for a 7.25” clutch where as Lee runs a 6 paddle regular size clutch (The whole reason i’m doing it is for the strength of the billet cover so I don’t keep damaging them and also need a beefy clutch for my nice long first gear :)
Can I ask a favour please James, can you PM who at Gripper you're dealing with and also how much they charge for recon (if you know).

I'm going to send mine back to them for a recon when the engine is out, save getting it out again in 6k miles or so... :)
I’ve been dealing with John at Gripper so just give them a call on 02476 638564 and ask to speak to him :) I’m not sure on the cost i’m afraid but I doubt its anything silly. John was saying they have just designed new plates for the diff’s which stops the noises typically associated with plated diffs so if you do get it done they will be fitted so silence when turning in future :)
must admit, while my engine/box are out and things are being changed, I am sooo tempted to get a diff sorted out before reassembling again.

do they deal direct with customers and sales?
or a slightly better to get a diff/CWP from an agent and use my own guy to have it all fitted?
Yes they will do Kelv but speak to Steve as thats your best option price wise. I would recommend getting gripper to build the box up for you mine didn’t leak, crack or have loose bolts when they had built it so doing better than my other box lol ;)

I think the best option is 13/60 CW+P and then the 33/37 5th gear which will give you a top speed of around 130mph. The ultimate option is to get the straight cut, dog gear kit from gripper like mine ;) The ratios are epic

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
I’m not sure to be fair buddy but Porkies was via Steve and mine is too so I think they will be similar although mine is for a 7.25” clutch where as Lee runs a 6 paddle regular size clutch (The whole reason i’m doing it is for the strength of the billet cover so I don’t keep damaging them and also need a beefy clutch for my nice long first gear :)

Yes they will do Kelv but speak to Steve as thats your best option price wise. I would recommend getting gripper to build the box up for you mine didn’t leak, crack or have loose bolts when they had built it so doing better than my other box lol ;)

I think the best option is 13/60 CW+P and then the 33/37 5th gear which will give you a top speed of around 130mph. The ultimate option is to get the straight cut, dog gear kit from gripper like mine ;) The ratios are epic

Ah Gotcha, I believe mine is the same as Porkies but I didn't clock on to your different clutch size.

Diff wise, ill probably speak to Steve before I get too carried away with things

cheers for the input and help James :D

PS Added: what kind of value is put on your gearbox to the spec you quote?

Last edited: