ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best wet tyres for track / race?

R8, Clio172, 172cup
Have been running Yokohama A048 225/45/16 in the dry and they were superb, but with a race coming up in November, it's just gonna be wet or very wet judging by current weather patterns!

what wet tyres are you using, and what do you recommend?

They do have to be 16's at the mo as I can't get 15's over my brakes.

thanks!

I've got a trackday on the 4th at Cadwell, I've just bought a set of uniroyal rainsport2s to fit the standard 182 wheels. Cost about 62 quid each I think it was from camskill. I'm hoping they will be good in the wet.

Got a set of 15's with slicks for if its dry.

tomsteer

ClioSport Club Member
Rainsport 2's are great in the wet, I've not had them on the track though!

I have them on my cup and also on my accord tourer, great tyres IMO, only heard good things about them on the track too!

If its for race won't you be better with full wet racing tyres?

I bought the rainsports as an everyday/wet track tyre but from the sounds of it you don't need the 'everyday' compromise?

R8, Clio172, 172cup
Absolutely, don't need road use compromise, full wets would be pref, but, and please excuse if a stoopid question, but which ones as ice never bought any?!

R8, Clio172, 172cup
Sorry, should have thought this through more and checked the regs first....! just checked - tyres MUST be from MSA list 1a or 1b, so basically road tyres.

http://www.msauk.org/uploadedfiles/...ommon_Regulations_for_Permitted_Tyres_(L).pdf

been recommended R1-R's and federal 595RSR as well as the Rainsport and has Contis when I started tracking and they were superb in the wet on short track sessions. My feeling is to have a set of new A048s in case its dryish/damp, then one of these options for proper wet, and a part worn set of A048s for dry..

so, just need to decide on the wet then..

Lotus Elise
R1-Rs get a good vote of confidence from the Burpspeed guys.

Ive only ever raced on slicks or wets.

Done trackdays on many different tyres though.

if you could get a 15" on there you will find the avon cr28's to be pretty close to a true wet , yoko 021R is also similar and the same compound rubber as your 048's however you can only get those in 13's so discount those .......

true answer and the answer to anyone looking to race ,and the difference between winning and loosing , get out on wet days and try some of them , don't like em then ebay them on , but thats the only way to tell what suits your style and setup .

real wets are a league ahead ............ but its all down to setup for the wet ,

R8, Clio172, 172cup
cheers guys - thats helpful indeed.

Looks like R1R might be best (only!?) option anyway, as 595RSR are only available in 205/45/16 afaik - though is that 20mm going to make a difference comparing dry to wets!?! Aaarrgh!

gonna sleep on it and talk to some people tomorrow..

Last edited:
  R8, Clio172, 172cup
Chip - are you on 15's or 16's ? What profile? RSR does sound the way to go - had some interesting convos today with the mechanic putting my cage (and now some of the final setup stuff) onto my car about camber - every day REALLY is a school day it turns out!

Lionel Richie
Dunlop full wets if you have big pockets! We ran shaved toyos with tyre softener (probably illegal now) bloody brilliant