ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Been on the dyno

At 100K miles, showing compressions of (1) 170 (2) 130 (3) 180 (4) 150 with an airfilter from a Saxo VTR that I salvaged from the bin.

qrbs4h.jpg

That'd be a best of 184bhp then with three over 182bhp, best torque recorded was 156ftlb. Makes over 180bhp at 7200RPM.

If I can be arsed to stick a none fooked head on it it'll be brilliant! LOL

Thanks to Paul for mapping it even though its knackered ;-) Much appreciated!!!

33w37h0.jpg

On the hunt for a fresh engine now, same spec with a decent inlet manifold design should see 200bhp!

Cheers
M

It's had a cambelt fail in the past and has been badly repaired. Should be 5 - 6 bhp up on where it is at the moment.

Still better power/weight ratio than an R26 at the moment LOL

Cheers
M

172 Cup
weak result for cams and ptfe gaskets but those compression rates are shocking so no wonder why :)

lift number 1 @ btm
i have a just rebuilt engine...

maybe we could come to an arrangement.

has had a bit of work done too.

M

mini-valver

Looked at the compression readings, and glanced at the graph and though how the f**k has it made that power when its standard and buggered? :eek:

Number 2 is fecked.....

Number 4 isn't much better either as it took a lot of cranking to come up to that!

Should be good with a fresher lump in there!

Cheers
M

200bhp 172 cup
Number 4 isn't much better either as it took a lot of cranking to come up to that!

Should be good with a fresher lump in there!

Cheers
M

out of interest how much would a reputable engine tuning/building company charge for a completely rebuilt as good as new engine? if i ever need a new lump id rather take this route then buy a second hand used engine with low mileage

M

mini-valver

It's not cheap mate, every tolerance needs checking and if any are out you'll have machining costs on top of parts (Rings, belts, gaskets, pulleys and bolts) and labour. You're looking at 2k IMO but it depends how extensive you go, ie new valves etc.

The quality of the finished item also depends entirely on the builder. There are some very good engine builders and some very bad engine builders!

Have a look at Ben/Angelworks website to see whats involved in bolting together an F4R and this is without the work involved in machining/preparing any components which require it etc. http://www.angel-works.co.uk/articles/f4rbuild.php Ben builds very good lumps and will be working with BPM on 24 hour endurance F4R's in 2009.

Nothing wrong with a second hand engine though as for the most part if the mileage is low enough and its had a couple of services its going to have been very hard to damage it. Sub 50K miles will tend to give you another 50K no problem at all for less than a grand.

Cheers
M

True most things on it are at least third hand ;-)

Still 180 odd bhp 172 Cup for under £3K isn't bad going LOL

Looks like I have a nice fresh engine to go in it now though so that with a few other bits should see it well into the 190's.

Going to give this one a few runs around BPG and a day at Brands first to try and pop it though LOL

Cheers
M

So what's your plan to get it to 200 then?

Same spec as it is currently on the fresh engine with a short runner length fabricated inlet manifold setup similar to this one on a Sodemo built F4R Turbo

M03.jpg
It'll carry the standard sensor pack and DBW throttle body allowing me to retain the standard ECU with all the advantages that gives and should be sufficent for 205bhp, maybe even a touch more!

Cheers
M

M

mini-valver

If thats an F4R, why has it got pencil coils???

I looked at the Sodemo stuff when mine was being made, PIMP!!

M

mini-valver

Gray you spacker, he's using a plenum like mine and cams. Not turboing it ;)

M

mini-valver

Didn't know that! Are they as prone to dying as the K4 ones?

M

mini-valver

LOL! Vag ones are the same, surely manufacturers would get the message?

200bhp 172 cup
Same spec as it is currently on the fresh engine with a short runner length fabricated inlet manifold setup similar to this one on a Sodemo built F4R Turbo

M03.jpg
It'll carry the standard sensor pack and DBW throttle body allowing me to retain the standard ECU with all the advantages that gives and should be sufficent for 205bhp, maybe even a touch more!

Cheers
M
:race::race: oooooooooooo engine p**n right there!!!!

"Navy" N17 TWO
That's not a bad result for a 172, depending what all has been done to it though

I've no idea about compression etc so can't comment on that part

Not been able to do any testing on the Clio yet so I'll let you know once I have. Was planning to do a bit on the rollers but with an open filter element in the bay as the induction point its pointless as you don't have stable intake temps anyway!

Cheers
M

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
I remember the last time I was on Paul's rollers. Not a good result considering all the mods.:dapprove:

Should be better now with the problem sorted.

Lionel Richie
catcams 428's a pikey filter and some manifold matching

oh btw IIRC that sodemo engine is yours for £30K, hello 700bhp (i think that's what young matt said) :)