ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Battery fcuked?

Peddled device
My car has been SORN for around 4 months, but my friend starts it every two weeks and runs it for around 10 minutes each time. Whilst I was driving it earlier this year I noticed that on a few occasions the car engine didn't turn over very fast on the first turn of the key. This only happened about four times in the last 3 months I was in the UK. This week he went to start it and there was nothing. He charged the battery, and he tells me the meter went to 6 for about 10 minutes and then dropped to 0. I'm guessing the battery isn't taking a charge and needs replacing. The car is an 05 182 Cup and its the original battery.

Do I get a new battery?

Peddled device
No. It's just sat on his drive and every two weeks he starts it, lets it run until warm, revs it gently and then turns it off. He moves it a few inches so that the tyres don't flat-spot.

Do you suggest I just get an old battery so that he can run it from time to time?

koi

Audi S1
Might be better unplugging the battery if it's not being used for a while and connecting it to start every so often.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Running it for 10minutes is just going to destroy the battery. Takes a lot longer than that for the alternator to recharge the battery.

Peddled device
Yeah. He's going to give it a full charge and then try it. If it has to be jumped then so be it. No point in shelling out for a new battery...i'll just knock it off the price if I sell it.

dan's cast offs.
don't start it unless it's going to be driven, short running is about the worst you can do to an engine. plenty of borewash and on idle the rings don't really get forced out much so it's quite easy to end up with glazed/knackered bores and petrol in the oil.