ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Backup Reminder

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Hi,

Just a quick reminder to everybody to ensure they've got backups of any important data.

Yesterday, after compiling some code and nipping out of the office, I came back to my old PC which simply had the words "disk error" displayed on the screen. Trying to reboot I could hear that the drive was not a happy bunny.

Now at this point I started to panic, because this machine had the firmware source code for about 8 products on it and I knew that the backups I had of were 6 months old (my new machine backs every hour with time machine, but the modified code was not on this machine)....whoops, I think I went a horrible shade of green.

Luckily, I managed to get windows to boot once and I had enough time to copy off the modified source code before the drive stopped working again.

A couple of boots into linux and I was able to recover a bit more, the drive is currently in the freezer (along with some massive heat sinks) and I will attempting to recover more stuff today, although the panic is now over.

Sooo...backup your s**t.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
GPO Folder redirection + weekly full + nightly incremental backups = :D

But ye.. backup your s**t !

Clio200 EDC Lux
Yeah I back most of my stuff up every few weeks mostly pic's and documents etc but still would be gutted if I lost it for good.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
GPO Folder redirection + weekly full + nightly incremental backups = :D

But ye.. backup your s**t !

All other machines are Macs and are backed up using time machine, so have a mix of monthly, weekly, daily and hourly backups, the time machine server/nas is backed up to drives which go offsite.

It's just that this particular machine was in a semi-retired state and just slipped through the net, stupid considering the importance of the stuff that was on it.

Luckily I've managed to recover all the important stuff that had changed since the last backup.

As a side note, this particular PC is the worst PC I've ever used, it never worked properly and would spend half it's time blue screening and rebooting, I suppose in hindsight it really should have been binned a long time ago.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Yeah I back most of my stuff up every few weeks mostly pic's and documents etc but still would be gutted if I lost it for good.

Imagine how gutted I felt when I thought I'd just lost 6 months worth of source code for products which have just started to ship. (doppler radar stuff)

Thank f**k I managed to get it back up long enough to pull the data from it.