ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

audio advice on sub/amps

Clio 1.2
hey all

well getting a new alpine hd fitted in next 2 weeks hopfull and will have £150 left over

an thought a amp and sub would be nice, i dont want anything massive to take up the whole boot lol got to be good within budget otherwise no point rely, am no expert so just been browsing and comparing different ones, found this setup and wondered if its anygood

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/10624.html

any other suggestion are welcome :)

cheers

phil

145db Euro'd clio
the alpine kit would be so much better
MAKES TO AVOID WHEN CONSIDERING SUBS + AMPS etc:

VIBE
FLI
SONY (reliable, but not good when it come to quality etc)
MUTANT
FUSION (some are okay, others arent. heard some setups that pump hard and others that are...well....louder noises have come ut my ar*e to be quite honest)

the ones to stick to!!:

JBL
ALPINE(some)
INFINITY
LEGACY
KENWOOD(some)
JL AUDIO
DIAMOND
KICKER

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
the alpine kit would be so much better
MAKES TO AVOID WHEN CONSIDERING SUBS + AMPS etc:

VIBE
FLI
SONY (reliable, but not good when it come to quality etc)
MUTANT
FUSION (some are okay, others arent. heard some setups that pump hard and others that are...well....louder noises have come ut my ar*e to be quite honest)

the ones to stick to!!:

JBL
ALPINE(some)
INFINITY
LEGACY
KENWOOD(some)
JL AUDIO
DIAMOND
KICKER

That is all very true also if you could afford it go up to makes like Orion etc ;)

1.2 Clio
Fusion are pretty good tbh...... i'd be picking them over legacy any day of the week tbh.

Just for info.

Top of the range stuff:

Orion, their amps do catch fire though....
RE - watch too much power through these, the tinsel leads have a tendancy to burn!
DC audio - very good only heard one install with them but was impressed with the sound!
Digital Designs - Uber woofers, especialy their 9500 series!
US Amps - possibly the worlds best amplifiers.
SPL Dynamics - for top end subs and amps, they are mega!
Fi - Uber efficient subs, great off lower power, superb SQ.
Ascendant Audio - as above but a heavier mag, greater xmax and stronger spiders. (so less efficient, similar SQ but damn do they wang some air on low tuning!)

vaux cavalier
My advice would be to ignore 90% of this thread as it has no bearing on your situation:D

With £150 to spend I would be looking for a cheap 4ch amp to drive your current front speakers & a 12" sub....

Try to avoid the so called 'Bass Package' deals because they are simply a means to sell items which ordinarily would not be purchased....

Something like this;
Amp
Sub

Then you just require cables & deadening....

2X RCA leads
1X 5m 4awg cable
1X 1m 4awg earth cable
1X 5m remote cable, (5amp is plenty)....
1X AGU fuse holder, (fit at battery end)....
1X 80amp AGU fuse
Speaker cables for fronts & sub....
Deadening for doors & boot....

145db Euro'd clio
4 gauge kit is really not nessercary for running such small amounts of power.
8 gauge is more than sufficient

Clio 182FF
Fusion are actually alright for entry level stuff, I am selling a 1200w 4 channel powerplant one it bangs out a lot of power (its in the 'For Sale' section).

Great amp, but I would buy JL Audio next time as recommended by MT Audio - they only cost a bit more.

Clio 1.2
ok guys thanks alot good advice well worth the membership ;)

when looking for amps etc what and the main specs that i need to look at for the subs and amps?

thanks

phil

Clio 1.2
My advice would be to ignore 90% of this thread as it has no bearing on your situation:D

With £150 to spend I would be looking for a cheap 4ch amp to drive your current front speakers & a 12" sub....

Try to avoid the so called 'Bass Package' deals because they are simply a means to sell items which ordinarily would not be purchased....

Something like this;
Amp
Sub

Then you just require cables & deadening....

2X RCA leads
1X 5m 4awg cable
1X 1m 4awg earth cable
1X 5m remote cable, (5amp is plenty)....
1X AGU fuse holder, (fit at battery end)....
1X 80amp AGU fuse
Speaker cables for fronts & sub....
Deadening for doors & boot....

after search found this setup amp same and from the specs better sub what you think guys

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/6707.html

145db Euro'd clio
it'll defo give you the extra bass that you want and its a pretty good price. if you only want the sub then thats good. there are cheaper options out there if you wanted the 6x9's etc aswell
but i'd say go for it. its JBL. cant go wrong!

RIP MK2 PH1/1.4 16v Polo
look for RMS power on the sub, and if you just want to run the sub off the amp get a 2 channel amp if you want to amp the front or rear speakers then get a 4 channel amp

Clio 1.2
it'll defo give you the extra bass that you want and its a pretty good price. if you only want the sub then thats good. there are cheaper options out there if you wanted the 6x9's etc aswell
but i'd say go for it. its JBL. cant go wrong!

ok will still look round but for price looks nice

vaux cavalier
You don't really want a 'Band-Pass' enclosure mate, these tend to have a pretty steep & narrow response curve so will not be ideal in all scenarios....

I would suggest a fairly highly tuned 'Ported Enclosure', (say between 35Hz to 45Hz), as most music types don't really contain low stuff, (30Hz & below)....

If your after a nice shallow wider response curve then I would opt for a 'Sealed' enclosure, much more suited to all round musical applications....

4 gauge kit is really not nessercary for running such small amounts of power.
8 gauge is more than sufficient

Sorry mate, I disagree, 8awg is a waste of money....Far better to fit 4awg & be well within its rating than fit 8awg & be on its limit....

The last time I tested a car with 8awg power & earth, it was losing 0.7v over 12' at a draw of 25amps....4awg was losing 0.5v at 12' with a draw of 80amps....If your scrimping on your power supply then you may as well simply buy a smaller amplifier....When dealing with JBL recommendations you should be aware these recommendations are based on power cables of 9' in length....