ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone got an older laptop than me?

And still uses it everyday?

My daily use laptop for data off load from cars, cal work, t'internet etc is a Panasonic CF-27 Toughbook.

It's a PII 300 with 256MB of ram and a 6GB hard disk running XP.

Still works like it was new and manages 3 hours off a full charge.

I've tried to replace it several times with Dells and HP's (as they still have proper RS232 ports on them) and they don't tend to make it past 3 months before they get damaged to the point of going in the bin - usualy cracked screens or fluid ingress.

In well over half a decade the toughbook has been left in the rain overnight, dropped in a pond, ran over (several times), fired across the dyno room (twice), trod on, used to chock race cars and general abused. Total damage from all this is the DVD drive bay cover doesn't quite clip shut any more and the outside is a bit scuffed.

Okay it cost nearly 4 grand and is made of magnesium alloy but it's the most reliable bit of technology I've ever owned and I don't want to replace it - despite the fact that it struggles to play an MP3 and render a webpage at the same time ;-)

Oh and the best bit - the touchpad works on pressure hence you can happily use it with gloves on - very important if you're track side testing in Feb!

Cheers
M

RRS, 172, ST3, VTS
cool. they are a good bit of kit, we had the newer version in the workshop, before replacing it with a desktop

Audi TT
I put my old Compaq Presario 1750 in the bin on Tuesday. Think it was a PII 266, with a 6GB HDD and 128mb RAM! ha ha.

As for new kit. The new laptops we have in work cars are bombproof and might do you proud. Pretty sure they're Panasonic toughbooks actually. When they crash tested a car with one in the mount they forgot to lock it in place. They crashed the car and the laptop flew out the back window in the impact and still worked when they picked it up :)

G

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Have used the smaller CF18 and CF19 models before, cracking bits of kit.

They were about 2k a piece and had built in 3g modems/sim slots,

ta4yvs.jpg

Cheers
M

DCi
hehe thats well cool, its actually called a toughbook, i thought you just called it that considering all the batterings you have given it!!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I have a Sony Vaio C1XD

PII 400mhz 64mb Ram 12gb. Windows 2000(Now Xbuntu and an experimental android build in progress.)

Recently stopped using it every day as the MacBook is just perfect.

Have used the smaller CF18 and CF19 models before, cracking bits of kit.

They were about 2k a piece and had built in 3g modems/sim slots,

Mine has a GSM modem in it with a pull out antenna at the side of the screen. Used to be very useful for e-mailing Cal's and setups from trackside before circuits all got wireless access!

Toughbooks rock IMHO - they are silent as well as they use the magnesium alloy case as the heatsink rather than having fans etc.

Might see if I can pick up a later CF toughbook with built in wireless etc. :)

Cheers
M

ITB'd MK1
Dell c400 256Mb ram and P3. had it 3 years now, and it was secondhand then. it's never even been near a case and gets shoved under the carseat when i go anywhere. Simple and tiny, I'm making maximum effort to upgrade the internals so i dont have to change it

B

Brown.

I have an old acer that is as thick as a 50" CRT..... thing runs 8mb ram and 250mb HD yes 250MB!!! from the 50's i think lol

runs a realy early version of windows that looks like a coloured MSDos window lol