ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Any ideas why this is burning/smoking?

PB 172 phase 2
Engine fan don't kick in/start and I noticed that smoke started to rise from that area? smoke smells of plastic ...

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Are you sure that is not just rainwater that is sat in the radiator fins that is getting heated in to steam.

PB 172 phase 2
Are you sure that is not just rainwater that is sat in the radiator fins that is getting heated in to steam.
I really wish it was just rainwater but I know its not- for a start it wouldn't smell of burning plastic

Renault Clio 2003
Well apparently the fan motor has developed a short circuit. Probably the coil wiring inside the fan motor has short circuited. The burning plastic is probably the smell from the fan motor overheating. Next time, start up the car, let it get hot, so that the fan should already have kicked in, even better if you smell the burning plastic again, at that moment, try to find a hot spot with your fingers. Should be the fan motor getting hot?? But be aware, if it suddenly starts to spin, don't lose your fingertips.

If no hot plastic enclosed items are found, then it is mystery. If a hot items is found -->> replace that -->> fixed.

PB 172 phase 2
Well apparently the fan motor has developed a short circuit. Probably the coil wiring inside the fan motor has short circuited. The burning plastic is probably the smell from the fan motor overheating. Next time, start up the car, let it get hot, so that the fan should already have kicked in, even better if you smell the burning plastic again, at that moment, try to find a hot spot with your fingers. Should be the fan motor getting hot?? But be aware, if it suddenly starts to spin, don't lose your fingertips.

If no hot plastic enclosed items are found, then it is mystery. If a hot items is found -->> replace that -->> fixed.
Thank you I will give that a go.