ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another 306 Rallye project

I had my first 306 GTi6 as a teenager nearly 10 years ago. In 2009 I got rid in favour of a 172 Cup which I continuously rated as a better buy. Not necessarily a better car, but a better buy due to age, general condition etc. I've always felt the Clios are slightly quicker but prefer the way the 306s are put together.

Fast forward 5 years and whilst still having a soft spot for 306's I broke a dozen to keep my hand in. I often thought about keeping one of them and using it as a main car but I've a 205 with ITB's, cage etc so that is the 'toy' if you like.

The Cup had been good to me over the years so I couldn't justify changing it for something which I knew would need work in one way or another.

One chap (a member on here in fact - wilyoldave) who I knew from having a 205 many years ago bought a 306 Rallye. He kept badgering me to swap the Cup for his Rallye. I often thought about it as I'd long lusted for a white Rallye but couldn't justify it. I didn't want to buy one as a 3rd car/second toy I'd never use so passed the opportunity.

Dave then swapped his Rallye with Silky for his Monaco Clio.

When the cambelt on that later snapped, Dave gets in touch asking me to sell him the Cup. My circumstances hadn't changed so I told him to F off and offered to buy the knackered Clio.

Not long after that my Cup needed a belt, tax, mot and paintwork. All money I'd not see back so I decided to break it and possibly buy another for the little they command these days.

In between all this Silky moves the Rallye on and a couple of people do the odd few bits and pieces to it. The last chap to own it was someone I knew from selling 306 spares over the years. At the time I didn't have a daily driver so it was the perfect time to own one. Within 15 mins of being advertised, I'd bought it.

Pics from the previous owner and over the years:

A64FC884-60F1-46A8-A1E9-62F1DF6EDFAF_zpsfal34rmq.jpg

8050A51C-F56B-47EF-9BD0-9B96B730BD91_zpsuas7tape.jpg

A8986A35-AC7D-4E26-8F3D-A14AAD1F114E_zps5sppnerb.png

BF277445-8250-4514-96AB-1845E2F5EF8B_zpsrdirgzj5.jpg

98075917-5C95-4BDC-880E-B376241F1512_zpsfudufhrc.jpg

The car was taken along with a few others to be filmed for an upcoming episode of Top Gear. Showing in October apparently. The white 205 at the front was featured in James May's programme a week or so back.

ED9CF946-72AF-4666-B606-330E2B6E81D2_zps2ibhddk5.jpg

9228ED32-DD99-4426-A6F3-3D96803F4A9F_zpsxseeoelf.jpg

Tucked back home with my 205

0BBDABA7-8A70-4C78-9D16-FEE8ACEE4397_zpswn89scs0.jpg

Going to try and get it as clean and tidy as I can really. Probably won't do much with regards to trying to make it faster. The 205 has the same 2.0 engine and a couple hundred kilo head start so that's where the money goes.

I agree it's a tad too low but I shall leave it for now. If it was a quick job like a 1*2 I'd have sorted it by now, but I'd want to strip it all down and refresh the lot with new bearings whilst I was there.

At the moment with everything else I've got going on (bought another 2 to break, have to fix the 205 and do up a house) I shall run with it as is. It's not so low that it's impractical, so I can live with it for a few months.

@crazystu21 - What username do you go by on the '6 forum?

BMW Z4
Same as here I think but to be honest I don't think I've ever posted anything on there, Just tend to lurk and pick up the odd part, it's not exactly cliosport over there!!

What exhaust are you running on this?

When you need 306 parts - PM me ;)

It's a Scorpion backbox and a standard mid section. It's coming off because it blows slightly. I bought another car with a Magnex, but that's a 4" tailpipe which I don't want.

Typically a week before it came up for sale I moved on a custom made stainless system which was nice and quiet.

Renault Clio 172 Cup
I owned this before the chap you bought it off, was a cracking car and I was very tempted to buy it back! I bought and fitted the 1.2's, they are rather special being the correct centre bore and not needing spigot rings. Look forward to seeing more of this!