ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Amps help

Clio 1.2
Ive got one 1000 watt shark amp running two 1000 watt subs does this meen that my subs are reduced to 500 watt each or is it still 1000. This is really bugging me for a while now so any help would be good thanks.

Clio Mk1
depends what the rms on each sub is

example below
RMS: 300 Watts -- what the amp needs to give the sub
Peak: 1200 Watts -- subwoofer output

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Forget the numbers, they are meaningless the way you are using them.

The 1000 w rating is B/S to put it mildly.

The RMS output can only be achieved if the amp is running into its intended load, normally 4 Ohms.

If you connect 2 x 4 Ohm speakers in parallel, you effectively half the impedance, a lot of amps cant handle 2 Ohms and will distort.

If you connect 2 x 4 Ohm speakers in series you double the impedance and again the amp may not be happy with that.

Check the spec sheet for the amp see what range it can cope with.

This is one of the reasons some makers have 8 Ohm speakers as an option.

if you parallel connect 2 x 8 Ohms speakers you have 4 Ohms and the amp will deliver its full RMS power with a minimum of distortion.

"Navy" N17 TWO
The normal impedance of my sub is 2x2 Ohms with 400W RMS 800W max
The RMS and max are the same on the mono amp that is running them

What I can't get my head around with ICE specs is the power ratings & Impedance etc - all jibberish to me :eek:
But I'm picking it up :)

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
The normal impedance of my sub is 2x2 Ohms with 400W RMS 800W max
The RMS and max are the same on the mono amp that is running them

What I can't get my head around with ICE specs is the power ratings & Impedance etc - all jibberish to me :eek:
But I'm picking it up :)

Simple rule, double the impedance, you half the power, rule 2 forget total output, its strictly sales talk.

Pity Alpine don't run the courses at MK any more, Chris Brown was THE man.

Mk2 172
figures on amps are pretty much rubbish. they are all taken at 14.4 volts aswel and a car battery is only 12 or so. by the time its travelled down the cable its lost a little bit more. if the amp is measured at 1000 watts at 14.4 volts then at 12 volts you can half the power so really its only doing 500 watts. but an amp like that will never do 500 watts. people dont think it but 500 watts genuine power running speakers and playing actual music is alot of power. as for the subs. if you double the cone area. ie two 12 inch instead of one you will get a 3db increase in sound! hope that makes sense :S

Last edited:
  Clio Mk1
so what should you be looking for when buying a sub becuase from what i can see you can get a JBL sub 1000w for £30 and lets say a JL audio sub 125w for £140 i dont get it whitch would be best :S and wtf is ohms

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Right
What courses can you do to "get into" ICE ? :)

The manufactures used to run them, but now all this stuff has gone down in price and the profits are tiny, they don't bother. Well not in this country, Alpine USA have an academy.

Going to School to learn about car audio !!! you'd have a piece of that action wouldn't you ?

Clio Mk1
Right
What courses can you do to "get into" ICE ? :)

The manufactures used to run them, but now all this stuff has gone down in price and the profits are tiny, they don't bother. Well not in this country, Alpine USA have an academy.

Going to School to learn about car audio !!! you'd have a piece of that action wouldn't you ?

can you not go to college for car audio?

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5

can you not go to college for car audio?

I don't think so, they don't even teach basic skill courses in most places, thats why we have foreign Builders, Plumbers, Electricians etc taking all the jobs.

Clio 1.2
I dont really get all this number and s**t but wat ive got is 2

12" 1250 w Infinity Sub
Frequency Response: 25 - 400hz
Power Range: 60-300 watts Rms (1000 watt max power)
Sensitivity: 93db
Inpedance:4 ohms

And my amp is,

1 or 2 or 3 channel for Dual Subwoofer or Sub and Mains Speaker +

Achievement 1000 Watts music Mono- bridgable up to 400 W RMS Multi-fashions

Subwoofer Crossover Frequency adjustable (40 to 250 Hz)

so what does that meen i have to do to get the best sound?