ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Am i lucky or just good............??

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Been reading all these threads this morning about people having to spend £000's on their cars as they keep breaking down or falling apart.

Now i've been driving just over 10 years and on average change my car every 6 months. I've had everything from a 180,000 mile Cavalier to a Mitsubishi Evo and tbh I cannot ever remember owning a car that has broken down. Nor can i remember owning a car that has failed an MOT. I cannot even recall owning a car that has had bits fallen off.

Now I treat my cars pretty fairly. (i rant the nuts off them but i always change oil every 3k) and the'yre always fully valeted once a week. So it makes me ask the question, What the f**k do you guys do to your cars to get them to break/fall apart every 5 minutes???

Do you have your eyes shut when your buying them? Or do you just treat them so badly that they have no choice to give up the ghost.

(***note, i've just remembered that one of my old 172's needed some HT leads once. It never broke down, but it was a repair that was needed!***)

It can't just be down to luck as with the amount of cars i've owned, I surely should have had some bad luck too??

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
You've been lucky. In the clio's i did 4 gearboxes, 2 head gasgets and loads more...

Sx i had the bottom end go...

Glanza the turbo went...

I've got a long list.

Well, considering you say you change your cars every 6 months, you don't have them long enough for them to go wrong lol. If you had owned only 2 cars over that 10 year period, you may have a different story? Maybe?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Well, considering you say you change your cars every 6 months, you don't have them long enough for them to go wrong lol. If you had owned only 2 cars over that 10 year period, you may have a different story? Maybe?

Hmmm, interesting theory...

Laguna 2, Westfield
This often annoys me on this forum and many other ones i go on lol especially when people go on about french crap etc etc, they are no worse for alot of people than other makes.
I've been driving 8 years and had 7 ish cars(two at a time at some point) 3 were old RS Fords, ( 2 x rs turbo, 1 rs2000 ) i did 23k in one RS turbo 50k - 73k and all it had was service items, it never had a gearbox/clutch like many people seem to get through on here.

My current daily drive is a 102k mile W reg laguna, nothings fell of, nothings broke, and it doesnt have many rattles either, i've serviced it and put a new battery on it ( old one was fine but original so 7 years old - so didnt want to risk it going) and thats all.

My mums 7 years old 1.4 16v clio had from new has now done 70k and its had one exhaust (only 6 months ago) one set of brakes and a window regulator. I used it often so it has been 'driven', but still nothings fell off, no clutch/gearbox.
Judging by some people where i work its mostly down to clueless people buying knackered crap cars or thrashing from cold/driving it on track thrashing its arse and wondering why a hatchback meant for the road breaks often.

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
Well I've done 20,000 easy miles in my 172 and have a load of things replaced and I never tracked it or drive it hard from cold etc.

But I've had.

Gearbox, Clutch and drive-shaft at 40k.
alternator.
Centre exhaust section and backbox replaced.
Both seat racks
Water temp sensor
Thermostat
Coil Pack and Plugs at 25k
Plenty of sensors replaced
CV Joint
Gearbox mounts x 2

and a few small things. Thats not a great record really.

Still it's not going to stop me from buying another Renault.

ive had 4 french cars, all have only had wear & tear items replaced but only because i replaced them earlier than was needed.

D

dick

how can you be arsed changing cars so often?

its so much hastle, coming up to having my first car 3 years.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

People play golf/have playstations/gadgets etc for a hobby, i change my cars! :)

I love it!

Octavia VRS
lucky!

My clio was in the garage nearly once a month for the last year I owned it. Wasn't major stuff but fooking annoying and I treated the old girl well!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Had to 1*2's, never had any probs except wear and tear. Currently got a 306 rallye, 103000 miles, runs brilliantly. Starts first time, goes like stink, and sounds great.

In a year of ownership my 1.2 16v Clio just had service items, did 10k miles, the only thing I had to do was replace the alternator/ accessories belt as it started screetching this time last year, stuck a new one on and tighten it up.
I nearly ran out of fuel by the NEC in Birmingham but that was my own fault!

RenaultSport 197
Im the same superfastdan. I've had 3 cars since i've been driving and none of them have given me any problems. I had a pug 106 1.1xn that had done 110k miles and the engine was sound as a pound! My French can of worms now rattles more than an angry rattle snake on steriods, but still been reliable so far!

RB 182
very lucky. i has a renault 19 16v. 2 gear boxes plus 1 rebuild, 3 driveshafts, 4 full sets of front brakes including calipers, 2 sets of rears, numerous sensors and visits for fault finding at £60 a go. great car though:mad:

I ran a GT Turbo for 4 years and it was running 1.2bar day in day out and redlined every day of those 4 years.

Only consumables were used, oil changed every 6k religiously. Was still going strong @ 140k miles! Original Head gasket as well, because the fuelling was setup by a professional.

Do you have your eyes shut when your buying them? Or do you just treat them so badly that they have no choice to give up the ghost.
I suspect that most on here do have their eyes closed when buying, hence all of the 'I got such a bargain' people on here, then a few weeks later they are posting up saying that this bit & that bit has either fallen off or broken on their car :rolleyes:

I too haven't had a car break down on me either. I've only ever had to replace the usual wear & tear items, like brakes, tyres, clutch etc.

CBR1K, F21 125D

People play golf/have playstations/gadgets etc for a hobby, i change my cars! :)

I love it!

i have had 4 cars in the past 3 years ive been driving they have all been second hand and under 1000 as i cant bloody afford it as im too poor:( so normally something needs doing or go's wrong in a couple of months i bought my valve for £800 its not too bad needs a lil work but cant really complaine best car ive had so far :D

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I suspect that most on here do have their eyes closed when buying, hence all of the 'I got such a bargain' people on here, then a few weeks later they are posting up saying that this bit & that bit has either fallen off or broken on their car :rolleyes:

I too haven't had a car break down on me either. I've only ever had to replace the usual wear & tear items, like brakes, tyres, clutch etc.

Eco this :approve:

cup 182 mit stripes
It's all a bit silly boasting about how you've never had a car break down on you, as if it's a reflection on how fine and smart a fellow you are.

A lot of guys on here are young, so will have motors with a few miles under the belt, so more prone to problems.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
It's all a bit silly boasting about how you've never had a car break down on you, as if it's a reflection on how fine and smart a fellow you are.

A lot of guys on here are young, so will have motors with a few miles under the belt, so more prone to problems.

Here you are again, spouting your s**t...

When have i boasted? Claiming how smart i am??

Was i not young once?? Buying cheap cars?? Of course i was you 'tard. If you read my first post, you will see that I said that i have owned a cavalier with 180,000 miles on. (i paid £75 for that from a scrappy) No problems with it for the 4 weeks i owned it. I have also owned a 140,000 mile R19 16v. I have also owned a 1600i orion that i bought for £4.10 *(two pints from a guy in the local)* and ran this for 6 weeks before selling it on. No problems.

Now if all your going to do is piss me off, why don't you stick me on your 'ignore' list and f**k off. Everytime i post something you respond with your snidey little digs.

a burnt one
I reckon if you are changing cars every 6 months then the chances are the previous owner has fixed any little niggling problems before selling, which means they are unlikely to fall off/break down within 6 months.

As opposed to someone who owns a car for the best part of its life they will have to fix most things.

Also, by my calculations driving for ten years and changing cars every 6 months means you have averaged 5 M.O.T's,

So it may sound like you are actually really lucky or a very good driver but i think if you were to break it down its more than likely down to probability.

Or you may be so lucky that after every car you've sold on, the timing belt has went the day after, now that would be something to boast about and really p**s the above poster off!:D

106 GTi
I have had a fair few french motors, all was well till I got the 205 and then I had to join the AA.

Da

Less
Back on topic guys, any further insults, to whichever party, will result in infractions being issued.

:)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

Eco this :approve:

Its echo you dumb f**k!!!!

Obsessive

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I've had plenty of cars over the last 23 years of driving.
The most enjoyable of all has been the 172.

I have a few issues with it but nothing is too much of
a problem, except maybe some of the prices Renault pull
out their clowns-pocket!

In the last 15 months of ownership I've had;
  • rear discs/bearings replaced-(at 40,000 miles)
  • 2 genuine back-boxes disintegrate
  • drivers side window regulator commit suicide
  • heater position 1-3 stopped working (took resistor pack apart,blew out lots of dust and fluff and it now works again)
  • new washer pump fitted
I've had multiple stone-chip damage as well, bonnet, windscreen and both fog
lights (due to idiots going too fast through newly chipped stretches of road.)

Sometimes it feels like an on-going project but I'm not going to
part with the biatch!
And yes, I'd have another!!!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Only had two cars with problems. A nova back in the day with head gasket failure @ 60k, and a clutch release bearing on a punto sporting, (notoriously weak part). Nothing too major imo!!!!

172 ph1
Other than 2 electric windows, I've not had to replace anything other than normal consumable parts in 7 years of second-hand French motoring.

So I have no idea what everyone is doing...

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Other than 2 electric windows, I've not had to replace anything other than normal consumable parts in 7 years of second-hand French motoring.

So I have no idea what everyone is doing...

This was my point. At the start before it got all twisted up.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Ahh i do love it when the powers that be bring justice to our fair town....

In regards to reliability of my cars, i seem to have an engine mount curse.
My old sh@gger Corsa had one go and i think the Cup is in need of at least one!