ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

aluminium bonnet

clio sport 172
hi there i have a 2000 clio sport ph1 and kinda bumped it oops, it is getting repaired threw the insurance, however it had the aluminium bonnet on it and i was told it was and added extra from new, this was damaged in the bump but the insurance company said it wasnt supposed to be on this car so they are not going to replace.
so i phoned a renault dealer to check about what the deal is with the bonnet, and they hadnt even herd of it in the parts section.
does anyone have any info on these bonnets, i.e whats the deal with them and what cars were they on

cheers ric

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Few ph1s had an aluminium bonnet, believe it was fitted as standard.

clio sport 172
yer titanium but the inusrance guy said tht it wasnt supposed to be on the car so i realy need to know kinda hard evidence to say it is so i will argue tht it shud be, caus its well better than standard one

Bus w**ker
Errrm hard evidence... Mines a standard 2000 Titanium and has one? :clown:

Only thing I can think of would be to ring Renault HQ and ask them for advice.

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
I had a Ph1 with Ally bonnet.

Apparantley customers who spec'd CD changers also got a ally bonnet and if you didn't spec CD changer you got steel bonnet.

Not sure if thats a Clio Sport Myth???

Has anyone got a steel bonnet and cd changer?

BMW E46 330i Touring
I'm not sure about the CD change theory, but the alloy wasn't an 'optional extra' in its own right. Some ph1's have it, some don't.

I'd write to Renault UK customer services and ask for clarification - if they reply confirming your reg didn't have one out of the factory then there's not much you can do. If they can confirm that it was something of a random option, or a certain time period, you can provide this to your insurance company and request that they disprove it.

clio sport 172
right nice one ill get onto renault i fin out. bastered insurance company will do anyting to get away with it. the guy also said they dont make it anymore so there be pressing a new one for me if it was supposed to be on the car
cheers for the help
ill update when i find out

Ph1
I had a Ph1 with Ally bonnet.

Apparantley customers who spec'd CD changers also got a ally bonnet and if you didn't spec CD changer you got steel bonnet.

Not sure if thats a Clio Sport Myth???

Has anyone got a steel bonnet and cd changer?

They all came with CD changers what you on about? Unless it was imports that didnt.

I bought mine new and there wasnt any optional extras to choose from !! lol

Majority of Ph1's had alloy bonnets on up till about 2001 where the batch must have ran out hence the reason the later ones came with steel ones.

You cant buy them from Renault although they were available during ph1 production.

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
the ally bonnet is almost twice as light, in fact its almost as light as the ktec carbon fibre bonnet. Mainly because the ktec bonnet uses lots of backing.

the answer is:

It was totally random which car's had the alloy bonnets. There doesn't seem to be a logical pattern to which cars it was fitted to.

Its got no relation at all to the cd changer or shift light.

Ph1
I remember not long after buying the car i asked the dealers why my motor never had a shift light as stated in the brochure.

They had a look on their computers and up popped a circular from Renault stating that from X date, the shift light was to be discontinued.

Probably the same with the bonnet.

CLIO-Si

ClioSport Club Member
  1.6Si + 182
ive got a 2000 vreg with ally bonnet this car does have cd changer in it,
ive also got a 1999 t reg with a heavy f*cker on it that didnt have cd player.>ok just noticed there was page 2 of the thread "god i hate it when i do that!"

whats "shift light" and "titanian clio's"??

clio sport 172
well its just really annoying as it is much lighter and now i am going to loose it. didnt realise that they all dont have shift lights

Bus w**ker
The Shift light is a high rev warning light. Little green/orange (colour blind) gear stick light that comes on just before you hit red line to inform you to change gear. Do a search you can read all the arguments about whether it's there to tell you when to change gear for optimal change or to warn you that your gearbox is about to explode.

Titanium is a shade of silver used on early 172 Ph1s, was replaced with Iceburg. Most common 172 colour IIRC also the best. ;)

Ph1
ive got a 2000 vreg with ally bonnet this car does have cd changer in it,
ive also got a 1999 t reg with a heavy f*cker on it that didnt have cd player.>ok just noticed there was page 2 of the thread "god i hate it when i do that!"

You have a alloy bonnet factory fitted on a non Sport model? :S

Vw caddy tdi
I have cd changer and had a steel bonnet untill replaced with ali item recently, my friend has yellow ph1 with shift light without an ali bonnet?

The insurance company should return the car to the condition it was before the accident - therefore I would have thought it's there tough s**t that they can't get aluminium bonnets new and they'll ideally either have to compensate you if they give you a steel one, or source an aluminium one themselves.

b******s, the lot of them lol

Ph1
**Symon: Retro fitted??

I have cd changer and had a steel bonnet untill replaced with ali item recently, my friend has yellow ph1 with shift light without an ali bonnet?

Reason i asked if yours was a non sport was i thought Clio 172's first went into production in 2000 with the reg plates starting off on W. Never heard of a V plate 172 :S

All ph1's came with CD autochangers as standard. It was never a option.

Bus w**ker
The insurance company should return the car to the condition it was before the accident - therefore I would have thought it's there tough s**t that they can't get aluminium bonnets new and they'll ideally either have to compensate you if they give you a steel one, or source an aluminium one themselves.

b*****ds, the lot of them lol

4/10.

If it's a like for like policy then I'd expect it to be replaced, but if not then the OP is s**t out of luck.

**Symon: Retro fitted??
I've no idea mate to be honest, I just remember reading someone posting about it on here ages ago.

Ah yeah, apologies - like for like should do it if you've had a bump yourself, otherwise no.

If someone else has smashed into you though, I always thought the other person's company should return it to how it was, mods and all?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Get on the Rsport forum. A dealer or Renault employee should be able to help.