ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice please

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Hi guys, just picked up a Megane R26 (see below). Body work is in good condition, not many dings, scratches or marks. However, the car has a lot of tar/ash (see picture). I've given the car a quick wash (2 bucket), dry, inspection and brief polish on the most heavily marked areas. I don't have a polisher and wondered what was best to get those marks off and bring it back to best.

The wheels appear ok, some pitting and some areas where it may appear that the lacquer is coming off. The car has just had a new CV clip and has a bit of grease on the wheel and needs degreasing too - suggestions? Edit - I did see Gally using some excellent stuff on wheels - IronX (or something).

On the Trophy and previous cars I've: washed, SRP, seal, polish - all autoglym stuff. I have on a couple of occasions clayed, but I don't have any clay bar left - and I suspect some of you may suggest claying the spots off. The car was actually spotless (IMO) looking at other cars.

Before I go out and spend any money - can you suggest what's best? I will in the mean time I may go ahead and polish the rest of the car and seal anyway, just because it's new and the weather appears ok!

P1030300_zps65f23a51.gif

P1030299_zps5c7209a8.gif

P1030303_zps06e7c714.gif

The wifes car, which no doubt I'll have to clean at some point too, which is a mess!

P1030305_zps35382cdd.gif

Cheers

Last edited:
Tar - Tardis from PolishedBliss (or a friend in the NW if memory serves you're from around my old area?)

Iron in the wheels/fallout like the ash spots - IronX

Both are spray on, wipe with a microfibre, when wash/pressure wash.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah - we used to speak a little at meets and so on! I moved to Aberdeen about 2.5 years ago now (time flies).

Tardis and IronX - from Polished bliss then? I think there is a polished bliss in Aberdeen may try and shoot over there tomorrow morning.

SRP, EGP and HD wax all pretty reasonable items - any items I could possibly think about using instead?

Christ, time flies fella. I moved to London about the same time.

If you're local to PB it's worth popping in to discuss and get some advice. IronX will remove contaminants in your paint (wheels are painted, as you know, so same applies, more so in fact due to brakes containing iron).

There are better products out there these days, fella. So depends on whether you want to go down the road of best product for the job, or you're happy with the old SRP/EGP combo.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
tardis followed by an iron remover, think polished bliss supply autofinesse or wolfs iron removers. follow this with clay.

then top with SRP if you have it, if not look at others like rejuvenate, prime etc from P.B. HD wax is pretty good and hard wearing if application is thin. can be awkward to use if not done correctly.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I went for a quick drive over to PB - came away with wolfs wheel cleaner and Tardis.

He had a quick look at the car and said it looked okay but seemed like it had been polished badly and needs a proper polish to remove the 'bad buffing'. Also, some slight swirls - not as bad as the Trophy though, clearly been washed a lot less :eek:. He recommended some pads and a product (I forget its name 310 variant or other) - but I didn't take it. I just want to do one thing at a time. I've also caned by overdraft buying the car haha.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Well you want to be using the tardis and iron remover on the paintwork aswell as the wheels.

Wolf's stuff takes a while to work I would add so spray it all over a wet car and wheels and leave for 15 minutes maybe more.

Here's a great read for you. http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=257208

All of Russ' threads give a good idea of process. His threads are on CS aswell.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Ok boys - used the tardis stuff and I was expecting all the marks to stream off - it didn't. Some did, the big/hard on spots remained. I applied via spray - leave for 30 seconds, wipe, rinse off. I applied to the car after a wash and still wet. As per polished bliss mans recommendation.

I've also removed the megane rear badge - still marks/glue left. I srp the glue marks to flatten mad attempt to remove. What's best?

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Ok boys - used the tardis stuff and I was expecting all the marks to stream off - it didn't. Some did, the big/hard on spots remained. I applied via spray - leave for 30 seconds, wipe, rinse off. I applied to the car after a wash and still wet. As per polished bliss mans recommendation.

I've also removed the megane rear badge - still marks/glue left. I srp the glue marks to flatten mad attempt to remove. What's best?

Pit can often take 2-3 hits if its the first time it's been done, keep at it.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Ok - brilliant.

How about the glue from the megane badge? What's best for that? Can't remember how I got it off before.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Nooooooo! Use the tardis and some kitchen roll for the residue. Leave it soaked on the glue residue then remove after some time.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
No it's fine mate. Not in direct sunlight of course!

5 minutes be reet.