ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice please 197 R27 F1 or an RS 200?

Mk2 Golf Abf and 20v
Hello, first of all I'm new, come from a vw back round. I have a couple of Mk2 golfs one of which I'm still building. One runs a 2.0 16v conversion and the other runs a 20vt setup on factory management.

My girlfriend is looking to buy a renaultsport clio as her next car. I have a few questions and am looking for advice and opinions from people who have lived with owning one so though this would be a good place to start.

1: When did the 197 change to the 200?

2: Our decision is either a 197 R27 F1 or a 200, could you explain the differences and your opinions on both?

2: I have seen a 2007 197 (advertised as a rs200 mistake i presume?) with 22k on the clock going for 9950 euro which i think is fairly well priced?

3: If i could get a rough guide on spec etc between the models and so on it would be a good help along with common faults and your own experiences with the cars.

Thanks
Gavin

Stripped yozza'd cup
Pay your membership and have a look at the traders section for steve@rsport cars. He's the man for second hand clio's. Havent seen a single bad word said about him. Every car is as immaculate as his service.

He also has a BEAUTIFUL liquid yellow R27 for sale, which I believe is still available? It's on pistonheads anyway...

There will be little to tell between the R27 and 200 IMO. What options would you be looking for in the 200? The R27 comes with more equipment as standard and for less money.

I prefer the look of the 200 to the 197.

Edit: The changeover to 200 was 2009 by the way.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Thanks Jack-

The LY goes weds-

THe 197 changed over on 09 Plate- you will find 09's on both 197's & 200's-

In terms of what you get-
R27 is a 197 + Cup Chassis, Recaros, Anthricite Alloy colour, Red Brembo Calipers & Limited edition Plaque- plus you could spec Climate + zenons & a few other goodies
Price range 8k-9750 depending on mileage & colour-

200- You can go for the Cup or the NON cup- ( sometimes referred to as full fat)

200 gets climate as standard- you need to spec cup pack Chassis, recaros, speedline wheels-
To get an 09 with decent spec & low miles you are looking around 11.5k with no options & 12 ++ with decent options

A 200 Cup has cup pack chassis, but you need to Spec A/C & recaros for a good car- again an 09 with ~miles is around 11k upwards

Depending on your budget I would buy a LY or a Nimbus R27- or if you have the cash buy a used 200 ( cup or not) ensuring recaros, Speedlines & A/C is specced if you go for a cup

9k or 12k......

S

Merc
The 200 appart of the facelift was fine tuned from the 197. Can't recall whether it was refined to meet euro laws regarding emission (which saw the type r in uk taken of the market). Gear ratios were shortened on the 200 to make the car pull more from lower revs, to get the most out of the 197 perfomance wise you had to push it between 5500-7100rpm apparently. if its for the missus i suppose performance isn't such an issue unless she is Vicky Butler-Henderson lol. Also cup chassis or cup pack means the car is stiffer than the non cup or full fat, so depends what the missus wants a more comfortable car or a slightly stiffer car (15% stiffer i believe). Biased opinion id go for a 200 NON cup.

I would say go for the 200. I speak from experience as I used to own an Ultra Red R27, which I bought from new and ran it for just under three years. Traded it and bought a six month old Deep Black 200 with Recaros, cup pack, last September.
To me it seems Renault ironed out the niggles from the 197 and put them right in the 200. People say that the 197 is a nicer looking car than the 200, but is it? You stick a 197 next to a 200 and it seems the 197's styling has certainly dated.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Clio 200 hands down.

The 200 is everything the 197 should have been (bar the funny looking front end).

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Tough one from me- I guess its all down to budget-

200 is a better car by some way- however is it 3k value for money better....

Hum.....

S

HyperAlloy Combat Chassis
They are both excellent cars. I've driven the 197 off and on the track on a few occasions. I've only had the 200 round a track once, but it was immediately apparent that it's more than an extra 3bhp and a styling change. Whatever they've done, it seems to handle and drive even better than the 197. I would pay the little bit extra personally, some of which you'll get back at resale anyway.