ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

advice needed on engine noise

Laguna sport tourer
hello all, i recently purchased a 172 cup all is good apart from a possible dephaser noise, it is quiet until the engine has had a good run then there is slight tapping noise (almost like the noise of a clutch from a diesel car at low rpm (if that makes any sense)) it doesn't sound like any videos i have seen on youtube etc but it is coming from the cambelt/ valvetrain area of the engine.

so I was wondering if there is someone local who could have a look? and possibly fit a new dephaser (and cambelt kit)obviously i would pay and would also be able to help.

thanks for reading
James

Titanium Clio 182
Alright dude, I'm not local but are you meaning like the almost metallic like rattle that comes from this terribly designed 'dual mass flywheel' on quite a few diesels? Im no genius when it comes to Renault dephaser pulleys, but when was the last time it had an oil change? As cleaner better oil could lubricate the pulley more. Or there could possibly be two different types of oil in it? Like semi,or fully synthetic? Is it a real light rattle? Mine was epicly loud with dephaser gone!

Darren

Laguna sport tourer
Alright dude, I'm not local but are you meaning like the almost metallic like rattle that comes from this terribly designed 'dual mass flywheel' on quite a few diesels? Im no genius when it comes to Renault dephaser pulleys, but when was the last time it had an oil change? As cleaner better oil could lubricate the pulley more. Or there could possibly be two different types of oil in it? Like semi,or fully synthetic? Is it a real light rattle? Mine was epicly loud with dephaser gone!

Darren
yes thats exactly the noise. just done an oil to change using 5w40 fully synthetic and also used engine flush thinking this may help. it made it slightly better but its still there

Titanium Clio 182
More that likely the dephaser. Mine only had 40k on it and needed a dephaser pulley. Women owners before me screwed that up by non regular servicing lol. Good luck with it anyway bud. Oh and there's a Lucas oil stabilizer, most auto parts places sell it. Its kinda like tacky gear clings to cams extra so there is no dry running or starts. YouTube it..

Laguna sport tourer
its looking like dephaser then. will it cause any damage if left for a while? i can't see how it would

Titanium Clio 182
Buddy to be honest I done 4k on mine before I bothered getting stuck into it. I havnt heard of a dephaser actually collapsing. They just get loud as!